Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't places like that mostly buy animals from breeders? Perhaps the breeders of some of these animals want to reclaim them? I wonder if Ronda has done business with them? And what happened anyway?? I would give the animals to the stores before I let them starve and die.

I wonder if Ronda has done business with them?
No, Ronda deals locally.

Don't places like that mostly buy animals from breeders? Perhaps the breeders of some of these animals want to reclaim them?
Most likely not, in fact a lot of breeders will probably be hurting as these guys probably paid the bulk of their bills. As good as it is the animals got "rescued" there is a whole lot of jobs going to be lost over this. Unfortunately in these times the U.S. isn't really ready to take in 26,000 unwanted animals - we can barely deal with what we have now.

No, Ronda deals locally.

Most likely not, in fact a lot of breeders will probably be hurting as these guys probably paid the bulk of their bills. As good as it is the animals got "rescued" there is a whole lot of jobs going to be lost over this. Unfortunately in these times the U.S. isn't really ready to take in 26,000 unwanted animals - we can barely deal with what we have now.

Quite frankly, your reply makes no sense to me. How will the breeders be hurting by these people being busted if, as you say, they don't get the animals from breeders. How do they pay the bulk of the breeders' bills if they don't get the animals from the breeders?

Why do you put rescued in quotation marks? Do you not consider them being rescued?

Finally, There will not be a whole lot of jobs lost over this since they were severely understaffed. That is why hundreds of animals are dead. Not enough people to care for them.

The way I see it is that there is a very large distributor that is out of business...that means that anyone in the business of using a distributor/broker for selling their animals will have a harder time selling animals now. It could mean the loss of income for a lot of people in that regard. The distributor/broker buys the animals from the people, who produce them, and then sells them to petstores and maybe other brokers and smaller distributors.

Per my friend who was at the hearing (and who spoke with Dr. Brown afterwards), there are:
2000 hamsters
62 prairie dogs
726 hedgies
2 sugar gliders
Chin count unknown
603 dead animals, various
The dead ones were pulled from the bins AFTER the animals were taken to safety by the SPCA.

The chins drank water like there was no tomorrow. They had been shipped in from the Netherlands the night before the seizure and were still in their tiny shipping crates. No food, no water. None of the animals had food or water.
=================
Yes, this is my first post on this forum. I am attempting to contact old acquaintances because of this case. I represent the Bunderground Railroad in Tennessee and the Mid-South. We are very strong on the East and West coasts -- not so much in the flyover states, but we have transported rabbits across Tennessee and down to Dallas, so we can help with transport if necessary.

What about the other animals that were supposed to have been there? I thought I had heard there was a bunch of reptiles as well?

Just thought I'd put it here since this seems to be the "go-to" place for this escapade...if transport is needed along I-65 thru Nashville upwards into Indiana, I'd be happy to help. Don't think I could house anything here in the house for very long (cramped as it is), but I'd be happy to help however possible, should the time come.

I don't have information about the other animals yet. I will post anything I find out.

It's good to hear the chinchillas hadn't been there long.

The information I got today was that there was a lot of testimony at the hearing today, but the judge still has not made his decision about the custody of the animals. Court will resume Monday morning.

I've a Suburban, and could possibly take a load from around St Louis to Rockford, [Wisc. boarder] and/or the Indiana boarder @ I-80!
Would need help with gas, though!

Why do you put rescued in quotation marks? Do you not consider them being rescued?
People are assumed innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. Until then, the animals are in holding, not rescued.

That's a lot of hamsters and hedgies. Thanks for the update.

>So why would anyone think that they should take custody of over 20,000 exotics?

I never said PETA should get custody of all 20,000 now, did I?

Do you think the USDA should? Did you read about the 3 'only' USDA licensed facilities? (I have already been contacted by another). Or just the Humane Society? Or just the SPCA?

I am of the opinion that it will be extremey difficult for all the above and all the private volunteers together to deal with the number of animals involved.

Last edited:
These are the times I hate that I am so far from the south because it seems that lots of railroads are needed in the area sometimes. I wish I could help......

lets not get upset with one another. It is just these terrible circumstances that are upsetting to everyone and we are all on the same page in wanting the best for all these animals.

Anyone have the link for signing up for donations and or fosters? This way we can all do it through there?

People are assumed innocent until proven guilty by a court of law. Until then, the animals are in holding, not rescued.

That's a lot of hamsters and hedgies. Thanks for the update.

I see your point. I guess the heartstrings make me inclined to think they were rescued after what I've read. From a legal standpoint, it would be more appropriate to say they were seized.

Per my friend who was at the hearing (and who spoke with Dr. Brown afterwards), there are:
2000 hamsters
62 prairie dogs
726 hedgies
2 sugar gliders
Chin count unknown
603 dead animals, various
The dead ones were pulled from the bins AFTER the animals were taken to safety by the SPCA.

The chins drank water like there was no tomorrow. They had been shipped in from the Netherlands the night before the seizure and were still in their tiny shipping crates. No food, no water. None of the animals had food or water.
=================
Yes, this is my first post on this forum. I am attempting to contact old acquaintances because of this case. I represent the Bunderground Railroad in Tennessee and the Mid-South. We are very strong on the East and West coasts -- not so much in the flyover states, but we have transported rabbits across Tennessee and down to Dallas, so we can help with transport if necessary.

There is a picture of some of the chins in their shipping crates on this page:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=121492291

I wouldn't be able to house any chinchillas since I do not have an appropriate quarantine area set up at this moment, but I would be able to house/foster some hamsters or gerbils. I have years experience with them. I would also like to make a donation if possible.

Just wondering: how do we know what request is legitimate and what isn't? Anyone can post for donations on the Net. I'm asking this b/c there's a scam going on in BC Canada right now where people have a bunch of ads set up asking for donations for rescued animals and apparently they are totally fake and are just scamming people.

Awww, those chins in tiny little crates is heartbreaking. At least they're alive though.

I personally would hold off on sending donations anywhere until something more substantial has been decided about these animals, i.e., legally. It takes seconds to send money via PayPal, which almost all rescues now accept, and it won't hurt to wait until you know for sure what their disposition is going to be.

Back