Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm willing to help foster any chinchillas, sugar gliders and hedgehogs that can be railroaded to NC and I can help find loving homes for them. I'd love to help more, but I just don't have any experience with the other exotics.

Thanks for the offer. Everything depends on the hearing. My contact is Donna at the Hedgehog rescue. I believe she is in direct contact with the SPCA. I have no authority or anything to say what will happen. I would like some time alone with those responsible for the condition of those animals.

Here, we are counting cages, checking availability of supplies and keeping a list of those who can help.

I was under the impression that there are several chin rescues in Dallas, but none are listed on Petfinder nor have I ever been able to contact any.

This story breaks my heart!:nolove:

In the video, did he call the chins "Picachus"? :unsure: I would like to spend some time with these people too. B@$^@%)$

Put me on your list of people who can help. In the least, I'll donate some food or transport from Dallas to Lafayette (maybe even BR or NOLA if my schedule is open).

Thanks for the offer. Everything depends on the hearing. My contact is Donna at the Hedgehog rescue. I believe she is in direct contact with the SPCA. I have no authority or anything to say what will happen. I would like some time alone with those responsible for the condition of those animals.

Here, we are counting cages, checking availability of supplies and keeping a list of those who can help.

I was under the impression that there are several chin rescues in Dallas, but none are listed on Petfinder nor have I ever been able to contact any.

I can take in some chins temporarily if they can be railroaded to Indiana or Ohio.

I can also take in SMALL reptiles, especially if they have chameleons (they require specific care that should not be left to people who aren't familiar with them). Unfortunately we cannot take large snakes or large, aggressive lizards like monitors or iguanas.

I will post on the chameleon forum I'm a part of as well.

Last edited:
I'm thinking there aren't enough fosters IN Texas for that amount of animals Rick. They are going to have to go further out and ask for help from other states. Even with all they found dead, the numbers they are going to have to place are staggering. I can't even begin to imagine where the reptiles are going to go.

I have contacted a friend of mine about the(some) reptiles.. Im waiting to hear back to see how many she can take.

It's so hard to comment on something like this because there is just nothing nice to say. I am in Northern California so there is not much I can do and have no room for guests but I could railroad if any got this far.

FYI, if criminal charges are brought and custody of the animals isn't voluntarily relinquished, the animals will probably be held as evidence and it could be months before they are able to be put up for adoption or foster. And that would only be if they were found guilty and have gone through an appeals process.

Count me in for fostering if any can make it to Colorado. I have a spare cage.

If criminal charges are filed also, I would guess that the hundreds of dead animals might suffice for evidence.

Yeah...the animals sort of need care before the trial and everything.

They had a huge bust of about 800 dogs here a year or two ago. All the animals were taken and cared for by rescue groups before the animals were ever surrendered. I'd assume that pictures and testimony from animal rescue workers would suffice for evidence?

The news today is that PETA, SPCA and USDA appear to all be fighting for custody of the animals. According my reporter, USDA is going to try to argue that SPCA of Texas is endangering the animals, especially the mammals, because it doesn't have the right staff and expertise to handle them. Apparently U.S. Global Exotics was also licensed by the USDA. In the end, the mammals may all end up at the Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch in Pilot Point, TX, which is a USDA approved facility.

Unofficially they are saying this may be the largest animal cruelty case in United States history.

Wow.

btw, he said Kinkajous

Rick, you know I can house or hold a large quantity if need be. Email or call me if that becomes the case.

I know that often these cases take 2-6 months to release the animals, who knows how many will survive until then.

If criminal charges are filed also, I would guess that the hundreds of dead animals might suffice for evidence.
You would guess wrong. Every animal removed is evidence and unless US Global specifically relinquishes ownership of the animals they still belong to them until a judge or jury rules differently after a trial. If they are found innocent, the animals will be returned. If found guilty, they will have a chance to appeal the decision. The best case scenario for the animals would be for US Global to relinquish their rights in the animals. The rules do change slightly from state to state about fostering, but with that many animals it would be easier for them to take care of them in one location than to try to keep track of what happens with them in foster homes across the country.

The news today is that PETA, SPCA and USDA appear to all be fighting for custody of the animals. According my reporter, USDA is going to try to argue that SPCA of Texas is endangering the animals, especially the mammals, because it doesn't have the right staff and expertise to handle them. Apparently U.S. Global Exotics was also licensed by the USDA. In the end, the mammals may all end up at the Sharkarosa Wildlife Ranch in Pilot Point, TX, which is a USDA approved facility.

Unofficially they are saying this may be the largest animal cruelty case in United States history.
I hope that PETA doesn't succeed. That's the last thing anybody needs. I would think that USDA trumps SPCA.

Hopefully it will be come about like the bust I was involved in, the defendants relinquished the ownership rights of the animals as part of a plea deal and allowed the animals to be released to the rescues that were involved with AC.

>You would guess wrong.

Prove it. Can you give me a TX statute # or case law to back up your position? Any following criminal charges can be limited to the dead animals.

The hearing Friday will determine prelimanary disposition of the animals, a civil matter which can mean the loss of the animals by Global, even if temporary.

Have a nice day.

Last edited:
>I hope that PETA doesn't succeed. That's the last thing anybody needs.

You are entitled to your opinion, but I thought this forum was pelt neutral.

Back