Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The spokes person said she stopped counting dead iguanas at 200. I bet there was still someone else counting and recording everything.

That is just insane.

I'll be going down to New Orleans in January. If the animals are released by then and it's needed, I can bring some back up with me and foster/meet other rescues.

I just wanted to add that the NO trip for us is still somewhat up in the air, but I am 85% sure we are going. Hopefully this will give the other deciding factor a bit of a push to go..he's the only one holding us back.

I would be willing to foster whatever kind of critters need to be fostered if you can get some up this way.

Carol, if I do get down to NO, I'll be making a trip up to the Chicago area mid-February.

I just wanted to add that the NO trip for us is still somewhat up in the air, but I am 85% sure we are going. Hopefully this will give the other deciding factor a bit of a push to go..he's the only one holding us back.

Carol, if I do get down to NO, I'll be making a trip up to the Chicago area mid-February.

That would be great. I can foster a few critters for however long.

Stack if we find out that they release the animals and you can bring them back, I'll send some carriers via UPS and have you load them up for me and bring them up. Then I can drive over that way and do a pick up or we can get set up a railroad to get them closer to me.

I posted this on the hedgie side as well, but I live in the St. Louis area and can help with a RR if needed.

Stacie - I can help get them places too if you want my help. I would be willing to go wherever is needed like Illinois and Ohio.

I'd be happy to help by fostering or railroading (I do NOT have experience w/ reptiles/amphibians). I'm in South KS and go go as far south as OKC and/or a couple hours N, E, or W if needed.

You all know that the chins are near Dallas TX, not NOLA, right? At this point I have no idea how many, if any, we will be bringing here. I doubt that any place will be able to handle large numbers. It is more likely, I think, that the chins will need to be taken in a few at a time in a lot of places.

BTW, NOLA = New Orleans, LA. The city has used it for many years, NOLA.com, etc. It is not something we made up to be cute.

I was just offering to help, Rick, if you DO get some animals there along with the other people that were in Louisiana that I could meet through a rail road or something.

I know what NOLA stands for?

Last edited:
I'm thinking there aren't enough fosters IN Texas for that amount of animals Rick. They are going to have to go further out and ask for help from other states. Even with all they found dead, the numbers they are going to have to place are staggering. I can't even begin to imagine where the reptiles are going to go.

Thanks. We will likely need all the help we can get, so tentative plans and possible homes are the best we all can do.

I have contacted the LA sanctuary's director. She offered in the past to take in chins if we needed. She is checking room and will call back as well as contacting the TX HS directly. We will need to provide cages, food and everything. Luckily our feedstore just stocked up on Oxbow for us last month, so the rest of our 6 month supply is available.

Thanks again!

It's a super long shot, but if help is needed out in east coast area, i can take a few chins temporarily to get them healthy & happy and then re-home them.

I am in the Dallas area and I am willing to foster a couple chinchillas for a few months. I've got 4 spare cages big enough for 1 pair and 3 singles. But I'm pregnant and due in April so I probably can't take anything in for too long. I also make frequent trips to Louisiana so I could railroad some that way.

I also work for a TV station in Dallas so I have some contacts with the PR people in Arlington and at the SPCA. But I don't have any direct numbers for those in charge of deciding where these animals will go. Is there a rescue group in the area that will be taking the lead on this or should I give them a call and find out what they need? (Note: Last night they said they probably won't be getting legal custody of the animals until Friday. Until then they have to all stay in an undisclosed holding location.)

Last edited:
Back