Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rick - You don't need to get an attitude. Menagerie has handled many cases where animals were seized, and I assume that is what she is basing her knowledge on. You had to wait X amount of time before the animals could be released. It only makes sense, really, when you think about it.

I know there is a case up here right now in SD where 200 dogs were seized. The females were pregnant and they released all the pups back to the abuser because they weren't "technically" involved in the case when the original animals weire taken. So yes, I'm sure there are many ins and outs that we, as laymen, have no clue about. We'd like to think we do, but that's not how it works.

Also, don't self-police. If the admins or mods are worried about a comment made, we'll handle it. Mentioning the word PETA has nothing to do with being pelt neutral. It has to do with the insanity that surrounds every case PETA gets involved in.

Apologies. I spoke to a TX lawyer earlier. I based my opinion on that.

I like a lot of what PETA does.

My (Republican) senator is interested in why the USDA, who licensed the company, thinks that they are in any way competent to now deal with the aftermath.

If I have no part in what happens, I would be tickled pink. I am plenty busy.

I think I've been lucky. Most of the time people just let the chins go and they can come here. :)

It'll all be alright. I don't think anyone will let the animals go without food and water. This is just a giant mess with so many animals in need. They'll get all the animals to where they need to go. :) The first step was realizing that there was a problem, that's been addressed and everything is on its way. The SPCA and other organizations are probably getting swamped with help now. This is a huge deal and it's been on the news, people tend to really want to help when that is the case.

Tucson is pretty small...they always make it through the animal abuse cases with hundreds of little animals! The community got together and saved all those little chihuahua pups...there were MORE people wanting to adopt them than they had dogs! :D I'm sure that in this case the people out that way will step up to volunteer and then later on, hopefully, step up to adopt the little animals that need good homes.

Here's an article about the SPCA vs. USDA debate: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/dpp/news/nipple_nightmare_for_seized_animals

We will also have an interview later today with a PETA spokesperson saying that an anonymous PETA member has privately funded the raid and is paying for the current housing of the animals.

The first hearing for the animals is on Friday at 2:30 at the Arlington Municipal Court. During the hearing they'll show pictures and videos of the animals from the day of the raid, which show the condition the animals were in when they were seized. Once the hearing is done, FOX 4's video cameras should be able to go check out the animals in the undisclosed location.

Last edited:
My (Republican) senator is interested in why the USDA, who licensed the company, thinks that they are in any way competent to now deal with the aftermath.

That is an excellent question. From my understanding, it is pretty hard to get USDA licensed and you really have to jump through hoops, depending on who your local agent is. So that doesn't say a heck of a lot about the agent in charge of this freaking mess. It will be interesting to see what the USDA has to say for themselves when the dust settles.

I don't think it's a bad thing to send them to a sanctuary until all this is resolved. At least they should know what they are doing with those poor lizards and snakes that were so out of their element.

It is a good question! :) It's hard to be USDA licensed that's for sure. I've looked into it, but it hasn't been necessary because I deal directly with the pet owner. :)

I'd love to know when their last USDA inspection was for this place and if there was anything on the report about animal neglect or abuse. I know that out here the inspectors are stretched very thing...I wonder if that is the case in this instance.

I'm in the process of being USDA certified for my gliders, and it's not fun at all. I'll be paying $500-750 a year just for 9 sugar gliders (this includes the vet fees, which are absolutely outrageous to be checked out for the USDA). I've been searching for 6 months to get a vet out to my house. Plus I have to file papers and taxes on each animal that is sold here. The vet has to come in and check my animals once a year, as well as the inspector. I checked the USDA inspection reports for US Global Exotics and they have had no non-compliances between Jan 2007 and June 2009.

http://www.aphis.usda.gov/animal_we...TX/U S GLOBAL EXOTICS, INC - 74-B-0520.pdf

I can understand why the USDA wants to take over. Many of these animals can not be owned unless you are a USDA certified facility. US Global Exotics was a distributor, so they were required to have yearly inspection visits, and it seems like everything was fine up until now. Not unless the inspector let things go in the past. Exotic animals fall under the USDA. Being USDA certified doesn't really mean anything anymore though. Mill breeders are USDA certified (such as Perfect Pocket Pets) and they have no clue of what they're doing as for the safety or healthcare of gliders. But because I have more than 3 female gliders in breeding, I have to be USDA certified (same goes for hedgies).

Last edited:
"Sharkarosa is a work in progress. At any one time it houses roughly 130 animals with an additional 20-30 animals at other facilities on breeder loan. We are not a rescue organization or sanctuary. Ongoing projects include new habitats, habitat expansions, building expansions and endangered and rare species breeding programs."

I think every group available would be needed and instead they want a juristiction competition.

Thanks for the link to their inspection report. Has the inspectors name and ID # for the last visit on 29 June 09.

It is a good question! :) It's hard to be USDA licensed that's for sure. I've looked into it, but it hasn't been necessary because I deal directly with the pet owner. :)

I'd love to know when their last USDA inspection was for this place and if there was anything on the report about animal neglect or abuse. I know that out here the inspectors are stretched very thing...I wonder if that is the case in this instance.

From what I see, the last USDA inspection was June 29,09 and they had no non-compliances.

Oops, I see that's already been posted. heehee

Well if it is needed up here there is some empty cages at my parents house and I can make some space here to help out

Hey...I am in Dallas. Unfortunately, I cannot take any animals in as I live in a 1 bedroom and am flat broke and can't separate animals enough from mine...I can't risk their health....

I can however donate about 3/4 lb of Lifeline and possibly some kleenmama's hay if someone can meet me for it.

I wish I could take animals but I just can't. Someone PM if they can get these items from me to help out these animals. I might be able to scrounge things for other animals, too. Let me know!

Last edited:
Is it possible these inspectors could have been looking the other way for monetary gain?

I know I'm a little late, but I too would love to help with taking in some animals if some how they could get to New Jersey or the surrounding area.

What a horrible situation. I hate these kinds of people and would love to see them get what they deserve.

I doubt they'll be sending any of these animals across the border but I'd be willing to donate some money/supplies when a proper fund is set up.

I'm supposed to be on the list to take in some animals and will likely be driving to meet someone for them. (Hopefully like a halfway point around Little Rock.) I also offered to be a stopping point for animals on their way to the east and south.

I have a lot of room here, so whatever can fit in my car is welcome.

New: http://www.digitaljournal.com/article/284055

Uh, PETA are the last people anyone would want involved?
My comment was directed at PETA getting custody of the animals since it has been documented that they would rather have animals euthanized than kept as pets. An example would be when PETA pulled dogs and cats from the shelters, euthanized them in a van and dumped them in dumpsters.
Link

Video containing the the president of PETA, Ingrid Newkirk's, response to the dogs and cats being killed.

PETA's statistics speak for themselves. From 1998 to 2008 they killed 85% of the animals they took in.
Link

Daily Telegraph article on PETA's euthanasia rate.

I'm not saying that everything that PETA does is bad, obviously they do have a history of getting inside organizations and blowing the whistle on them and getting places shut down or change their practices. But that is where PETA's involvement should end. In the video linked above. Ingrid Newkirk admits that they are a shelter of last resort, they are not set up to take care of animals. So why would anyone think that they should take custody of over 20,000 exotics?

Back