Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope that there weren't any chins there. Poor animals...that is just awful. 20,000 animals? Geez...

If there's a ton, let me know. I'll get in the car and pick some up. The front room has no chins in it, so I have room for many - I have my emergency cages that I just have to pull inside. It's been years since I have seen a really huge rescue...

I was contacted as well. Via email and phone call.. Im getting my waitlist out and ready to call in the morning..

ETA: Susan, In my email I was told there were chins, hedgehogs, coatimundi, ferrets, gerbils, hamsters, feeder mice, Opossum, Prairie Dogs, rats, sloths, squirrels (spotted and flying), sugar gliders and wallaby

If anyone knows of a rescue for any of the breeds please forward the information to them.

Last edited:
Update sent to me:

"The lead veterinarian is Dr. Susan Brown - who is WELL versed in
chinchilla care. They brought in a team of exotic animal veterinarians
to do triage - so I know they'll do the best they can.

The hearing is Friday - animals have to be held for 10 days. Once
custody is determined Friday [foster operations can begin]".

It was reported to me that chins were seen on the TV news broadcast.

Keep me updated, I'll call some people up and see if I can find a few people in New Mexico, AZ and maybe TX.

This was a really bad time for this to happen! Yikes, the economy is bad and Christmas is next week... :(

I'm glad that they got Dr. Brown! :)

I'd take in some rats and other critters, but this is just a bad time of year to drive down south from SD and I doubt they would be willing to railroad.

I've heard bad things in the past about the place that was raided. I guess they were true.

I know of a suggie owner in the Austin area. Let me get in touch with her sister and pass on the info.

There's a special place in H#!! for the people responsible for this. There has to be.

Eta: Anyone got contact info for the foster/railroad coordinators? I'll pass this around the herp/reptile groups I'm in too.

Last edited:
Update sent to me:

"The lead veterinarian is Dr. Susan Brown - who is WELL versed in
chinchilla care. They brought in a team of exotic animal veterinarians
to do triage - so I know they'll do the best they can.

The hearing is Friday - animals have to be held for 10 days. Once
custody is determined Friday [foster operations can begin]".

It was reported to me that chins were seen on the TV news broadcast.

YES !! :( all those poor animals omg...they loaded up 4 traveling cages with chins on both sides about 6-8 slots across !! god only knows how many more were in there...

I am also more than willing to help. It's about 17 hours from me, but if a railroad could be set up I could take some chins or other small caged critters. 20,000? I can't even wrap my head around this number.

Back