Newbie calling out the oldies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just get annoyed when people don't use the search function or even read down the section and post the same thing we just answered yesterday, or even an hour before. Before I post anything that is a question I use the search function. I mean, "Can I feed my chins raisins?" gets a no, pellets hay water and safe treats list only response and then litterally like an hour later "can I feed my chin pumpkin seeds?" - seems like if people would just read for a minute then we wouldnt get all these repetative posts.

I also get annoyed when people clearly state problems, get polite advice and then act like they know better than you when it's clear they have no idea what they are doing.

I just get annoyed when people don't use the search function or even read down the section and post the same thing we just answered yesterday, or even an hour before. Before I post anything that is a question I use the search function. I mean, "Can I feed my chins raisins?" gets a no, pellets hay water and safe treats list only response and then litterally like an hour later "can I feed my chin pumpkin seeds?" - seems like if people would just read for a minute then we wouldnt get all these repetative posts.

I also get annoyed when people clearly state problems, get polite advice and then act like they know better than you when it's clear they have no idea what they are doing.

See, these drive me nuts as well. When I get on the forum, I look at the new threads, and there will often be several, one after another, talking about the exact same issue. If it's a new issue, by all means post! I had a female that started bleeding vaginally after birth... I didn't see a thread on it, so I posted... but for the most part, so many questions are asked over and over, I feel like some people don't want to put any effort in. Granted, I realize, some people may be new and may not know there's a search function. HOWEVER... there are people who have asked questions, been told "read this section" and 5 minutes later are posting another thread asking another question that has already been answered... in the section they were told to read, had they read it.

Newbies also don't know when they come on which users are known for posting certain ways. I know several older members that consistently parrot correct information when they do not follow it themselves and when they parrot it, they parrot in a nasty way.

For the newer members, unfortunately, you have to sort through the wording and find the advice instead of taking offense from a post from someone that does not know you at all. Asking members of this forum to change the way they react to posts or the way they post is pointless.

I have been here for a few years now. When I joined, I was doing almost all of the no - no's. I did not agree with many of the people here, but I stuck around and did a lot of reading. I tried not to let anyone's posts bother me and tried my best to learn. It didn't take much time for me to realize that I was making major mistakes and needed to correct them. I even corrected bad information on my website thanks to this forum. Now, I recommend the forum to everyone who contacts me about chinchillas or buys one from me. I am just glad that I found people who care about the well being of these gorgeous animals.

Newbies also don't know when they come on which users are known for posting certain ways. I know several older members that consistently parrot correct information when they do not follow it themselves and when they parrot it, they parrot in a nasty way.

For the newer members, unfortunately, you have to sort through the wording and find the advice instead of taking offense from a post from someone that does not know you at all. Asking members of this forum to change the way they react to posts or the way they post is pointless.

I think you're spot on, sadly enough.

I am very blunt in the way I form my thoughts when typing because I know that it is difficult to read inflection and tone, especially when several of the commenters are passionate and want to convey their feelings. That is why i try to type in a manner that is emotionally objective- though it might come across as abrupt or rude to those who want me to end my comments with flowers and a smilie.

Sorry, I'm new and I know I've posted a few things (questions) asking if its okay or not, but I've also tried searching through pages of threads for answers before asking and can't find anything and then in the end when people reply to my thread, they of course have a link to a thread that somehow I couldn't find.....just like the safe/unsafe woods-I triedfinding those, but couldn't, but not I know exactly where that is. There's alot of good info on CnH's and alot of very knowledgeable people who know a ton about chinchillas :)

Another idea, if you think something has already been posted and you can't find it in search, pop into chat and ask a member or see if they can link you. And while you're there you can stay and chat a while :)

How about posting updates to medical issues? Nothing worse than someone coming on and screaming for help, help is given and POOF the person is gone without posting a outcome, those that help would appreciate it.

I've seen this thread going for a while, and after the last couple of days, and the support I've been given here, felt the need to comment.

I'm new to this forum, maybe a couple of weeks. I've only had my chinchilla, Misty, for 2 months now and only know one other person who owns chins, and needed someplace to find answers to some of my questions. Everyone was very nice and helpful, even though I was probably asking some of those same "newby" questions. No one made me feel like a burden, or was rude.

Then someone(can't remember who right now, sorry!) pointed out that in a photo Misty's fur looked matted around her eyes, and that probably saved her life. Stackie recommended a vet for Misty, and everyone has gone out of their way to be supportive and sympathetic.

I really believe without this forum, Misty would have died. I am so grateful to these "old timers" for helping save our sweet little girl. So say anything you want, but they have won my eternal gratitude :)

I just want to say…I think it's very unfair to say that people don't use the "search" function before asking questions (questions that are said to be answered "over and over again").

I have used the search function and haven't always found the answers which is why I have posted in the forums.

Maybe it's the search function feature, maybe it's the way I asked the question in search, I'm not sure. But here are some examples of why I think people ask questions when some think they should have used the "search" function.

1. "Can I feed my chin raisins"
0536a4f7.jpg

2. "Can I feed my chin pumpkin seeds?"
4b836b94.jpg

3. "What are safe treats to feed?"
78d16cae.jpg

4. "What types of hay should I feed?"
4a4cdbc7.jpg

Many of these threads are all the same, and for whatever reason, don't really answer the direct question that someone types in.

I realize that the search function picks up on key words (as you can see from what key words are posted at the top of the pages, regardless of what I type in), but that still doesn't give an answer sometimes.

i wouldn't be so harsh about saying people don't try to do their research. Sometimes we try, and we still post because we're confused due to the search function not responding the way we think it should or what we think we've asked.

Again, just my dos pesos.

Annieo

I have used the search function and haven't always found the answers which is why I have posted in the forums.

Many of these threads are all the same, and for whatever reason, don't really answer the direct question that someone types in.

I realize that the search function picks up on key words (as you can see from what key words are posted at the top of the pages, regardless of what I type in), but that still doesn't give an answer sometimes.

i wouldn't be so harsh about saying people don't try to do their research. Sometimes we try, and we still post because we're confused due to the search function not responding the way we think it should or what we think we've asked.

Again, just my dos pesos.

Annieo

Again, I wholeheartedly agree with what you've said. I have managed to keep from adding to new threads on many occasions by searching, and searching, and searching again. But as Annie pointed out, unless I phrase what I'm looking for just so, often I don't find the answer.

Many of these threads are all the same, and for whatever reason, don't really answer the direct question that someone types in. Often I have had a question regarding certain treats, which water is best, when to give playtime, etc., and essentially have read countless posts of people sharing their opinions. And while I appreciate opinions, more often than not at this point--as a new chin owner--I am looking for FACTS.

I've been wondering if there were some way to categorize the threads within the different forums....sort of like the Sticky Notes the mods have posted. For example, at the top of Chin Health, having "Types of Hay", "Best Water", "Best Pellets", etc.... perhaps that would simplify the searching function somewhat? :geek:

VolunteerChin22: "Another idea, if you think something has already been posted and you can't find it in search, pop into chat and ask a member or see if they can link you. And while you're there you can stay and chat a while" ---I have done this on more than one occasion when I've needed an immediate answer, and 99% of the time I got the answer I needed.

As a side note. Some people have said that perhaps their posts come off as abrupt/curt because they don't use smilies. I agree that they're not always necessary. Yet I have to ask, then, why have 500+ smilies been created in the first place?

Last edited:
It is not correct to say many times things are misinterpreted due to it being an email or forum setting. When you are a flaming jerk you come across as a flaming jerk period.

That said while it's true there are members who can be quite rude, there are also members who are not. The issue is someone always has to be right. That's just the way of the world, again period. Advice is given and if it is not heeded it will not bode well because the person asking for the advice did not take the advice hence the person giving it did not have their direct orders followed which sometimes makes them feel as if the person seeking advice things they are wrong.

Many times members post will my chinchilla be ok--many time no it will not be ok and it's going to die but instead of being told that they are told go to the vet. With the way things are in the world today everyone looks for the easy answer or the immediate answer. Members come on the forum and ask what's wrong with their animal--well we cannot diagnosis that--number 1 we are vets, number 2 the animals isn't even in front of us.

When a member posts about a serious illness like an URI or bloat or malo and they do not heed the advice of please take your animal to the vet immediately it angers the people giving the advice, especially if the animal dies because the advice was not heeded. When a member posts they have a "surprise" baby and they are told to separate male and female right away and they say they do but then have another birth a few months later and again are seeking advice this angers the people giving the advice. When a member posts they have chins who are fighting and they are told to separate them but they do not and then one or both winds up dead this angers the people giving the advice.

If you ask for advice you need to be prepared for the answer given. If you ask for advice that means you should be willing to follow the instructions of that advice. If you do not it was senseless for you to even ask.

Sometimes the forum members do not agree on something and this can also cause issues. Chinchillas don't NEED playtime, they don't NEED treats, they don't NEED 60 degree weather and no higher but, some people think they do and if you don't provide it to them it makes you a bad person.

The forum is here for the animals and not the owners. We care about the health and welfare of your chinchilla. Is it ok to make a mistake--yes it is ok, mistakes happen all the time. If there is an "oldie" out there who says they have never made a mistake with their chinchillas they are lying. Mistakes happen in life, if you continue to do what caused the mistake the first time it is totally your fault and quite honestly you should take the heat for repeating the same mistakes.

And a word to any newbies out there if you do feel attacked in a thread you have posted you do have the right to report the post. The admins may not always agree with you but you have the right to say someone has treated you unfairly.

You also don't have to accept everything a seasoned member tells you as the golden rule either

I wholeheartedly agree with Laurie! Especially to the bold- you can't expect to ask for advice, receive it, and then say "oh well I know better". First and foremost, this forum is here for the benefit of the animals.

Years ago I openly admitted that I kept my chin in a no-pet apartment. I was chewed out just as fast as chins chew applewood! But you know what, they were right. It hurt to hear that I was selfish and that Gizmo could be endanger- but once the situation was resolved, I was less stressed, and was able to be a "spokesperson" for following rules regarding pets.

This forum is blunt, because when there is a life involved, there is no room to sugarcoat.
Food: no fruits/veggies and minimum treats. PERIOD
Signs of illness: take to a vet. PERIOD
Fighting cagemates: separate. PERIOD

I don't ever understand when people try to do things their way because it conveniences them. There is responsibility when it comes to animals and if you go on a public forum to ask advice, be ready to receive it- the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I will support a member who admits their faults and corrects it. IMO, we're all extremely caring and compassionate individuals. I don't post here as often as I used to, primarily because if its health related, I stress out too much when hearing a wide range of opinions. I'm close to people who have knowledge in chins, and I don't feel embarrassed to PM those who may offer some insight.

In regards to using the search feature- perhaps newbies should actually take time and read the stickies. They contain valuable information. And as my mom says, its better to be proactive than reactive. Read up on important information BEFORE actually needing it.

To those who are fearful of posting: Dont be. This is one of the greatest forums I have ever been on. I have made valuable friends and the wealth of knowledge surpasses any information found elsewhere. Wanna know the last time I googled "chinchilla"? Probably over a year- and it was to show a coworker what they were. Or maybe it was when I was searching "chinchilladas"... lol

With that though, we all receive the attitude that we put out. If you become defensive in posts, other posters will be defensive right back at you. And if youre genuinely offended by something that someone says, SAY SOMETHING to them! My goodness, I remember Peggy (tunes) once commented on a post of mine WAYYY long ago. And her response offended me, so I PM'd her. Thats right, I PM'd the one running the show. No hurt feelings though. Like everything else in life, "you get what you put into it".

Put down the boxing gloves for a bit, and listen to the advice given. And for good measure, to the oldies: remember we all started somewhere.

:thumbsup:

Annieo, while i did not design the search function, I don't think it is designed to answer questions like a magic 8 ball, just pick up key words. While it may be imperfect and people may have to try more than one key word ie raisins vs. rasin you can generally find the answer. I can understand using it and then not finding it (that's happened to me before) but frankly how many posts get posted starting with "I tried to use the search and couldnt find this..."? Not too many from the newbies I have noticed IMO, so without people disclosing that it leads me to believe they haven't used it either out of not knowing it's there or not bothering, rather than having trouble.

What I find more frustrating is the pumpkin seed/raisin scenario I posted - for example, right now on the diet and nutrition thread there are two threads 9 posts apart (on the same page!) that are basically asking the same question - one's about apples and cranberries and the other is about fruits and berries. Both posters got essentially the same response. Now perhaps I am assuming too much to say that if I read, no fruits and veggies response under one that gasp, no fruits and veggies would be the SAME response to the other (sarcasm intended.) No disrespect to the ppl who posted these particular threads but come on...they are on the SAME page! READ a little! Sometimes I think we get some posts (not all) just because some posters are too lazy to read and just want to be spoonfed. I mean how many "OMG my chin's pregnant what do I do" threads with no real specific questions other than "what do i do" do we get when there is a sticky inches from the post a thread button....

Missed my edit...

Many of these threads are all the same, and for whatever reason, don't really answer the direct question that someone types in. Often I have had a question regarding certain treats, which water is best, when to give playtime, etc., and essentially have read countless posts of people sharing their opinions. And while I appreciate opinions, more often than not at this point--as a new chin owner--I am looking for FACTS.

Problem is with most topics there are often more opinions than there are facts. Some people will always prefer a certain type of food over another - I feed Purina and some people don't like it - so there is no one food that is best "fact." Some people use hay cubes some use loose - no "fact" on which is better. Some people give playtime and some don't. Some give treats and some don't. Things like playtime and treats are not essential to a chin's health so giving them becomes a matter of opinion. Only thing I would say is not opinion based are the safety concerns that go along with these topics - certain types of food and treats are to be avoided, water must be filtered, playtime must be supervised, etc. Those are generally shared and regarded as facts...

Claire:
Discussions turn into slanging matches; questions of clarification are interpreted as a personal attack; statements which are succinct are seen as blunt/rude

I found this statement interesting as it seems you are doing what I was describing earlier. Unless, of course, you are referring to yourself as the poster of the posts in question. For the sake of my point, I will assume you weren’t and I apologize if you were. You describe something as succinct and seen by others as rude. It's only rude to whoever perceives it as rude. What if you're misinterpreting a rude post as neutral? You're creating this division that makes your perception correct and another's incorrect. I think the thing is to realize there isn't a correct or incorrect in this, just a difference of interpretation and no one but the OP knows exactly what they meant—until the OP says exactly what they meant in mutually understood terms. When people realize that about others they are arguing with, I think it may help calm situations down. And intuitively, I think you did not mean to imply this bipolarity of correct/incorrect meanings as you already touched on the fact that different people perceive things differently and I don't think you meant any of it offensively. This is because you did not clearly state that and from reading your posts over the months, you seem pretty wise and never unnecessarily confrontational. Your advice is always very practical and easy to grasp. And the other points in your post were rather insightful, as usual. (e.g. my emotive language does show my sensitivity and the way I register words)

That is why i try to type in a manner that is emotionally objective- though it might come across as abrupt or rude to those who want me to end my comments with flowers and a smilie

That’s actually what I would prefer. Being blunt or direct isn’t inherently tied to being harsh. I think the problem comes when someone isn’t direct, or adds certain emotions to their message. I am a rather emotionally sensitive person so I need things as simple as they can be so I can’t misinterpret them. I don’t need things “sugar-coated” I just need them to be literal and understandable. Ideally, I would like a robot to process and translate everything to me in all social interactions. Well, maybe not all, but some :nod:

I don't mean to imply this forum is heavily flawed by only focusing on them. I love this forum and the people of it. Some of you have helped me through rough times and been nicer than anyone else I've ever known.

Last edited:
I tend to be blunt. Often when there is a long post people skim it or skip it, and often people whine when someone says something they do not want to hear, If you tell someone what they are doing will kill their chinchilla (because it will) they whine you are being mean.

And emotions do not come across in a post. this shouldn't be a newbie versus and oldie thing. I never understand why everything must be a versus. it is about the animals.

If I feel someones actions are detrimental to the animal I will not sugar coat it. but when it comes down to it although I have made some Wonderful friends here My purpose in life is not to make everyone happy and like me. You can never please everyone why kill yourself trying.

There is no need to be nasty and we ALL get that way sometimes. I have been nastier than I should have been on here and I always try to do better. We ALL slip up but some people mistake honesty for mean especially when it isn't what they want to hear

Just wanted to pop in and say I agree 100% with dawn (tickle) about updates on medical issues or emergencies! It's so incredibly frustrating when you're giving your time to answer and help with an issue and the person needing help falls off the face of the earth. We want to know--did the chin survive? Or even more so if yes it did survive what was the recommended procedure given by the vet--this is important for future situations.

Also had to laugh about Fur's smilies post why are there 500 smilies out there--trust me it's for the kids! OMG when someone new comes in chat or someone new posts threads with a zillion smilies used we know how old you are most of the time without even having to ask!

As a new member, I have been 'bluntly' answered, in the sense blunt is
defined as: abrupt in address or manner.

Some individuals take that offensively and want to feel personally welcomed. I just wanted answers, and I got them. Those alone made me feel satisfied and content. As a new chinchilla owner I am extremely neurotic, so I found myself posting immediately without looking through the threads because I thought my situation was 'special'. It took me a few days, and I learned everyone else had the same questions and now I'll opt for the search first.

I'm sorry, but I do not think you can change people's manners/reactions to others. Some are more sensitive then others, and psychologically will feel threatened easily with, like I said, 'blunt' answers. I don't ask for everyone to ask how my day was and to tell me how great my question is – I want answers and I feel like this forum gives you that in the best way – immediately.

Now, I would be upset if this community ignored my questions.
And I thank everyone for answering me no matter how common they were/how silly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back