The "Rare" Beige!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
P

~*=Phoenix=*~

I was forwarded an ad on craigslist in which someone was calling beiges "rare". I mean... seriously... they believe this to be so true that they are arguing them being rare on craigslist with another individual. I just don't get it...

Makes me feel sick thinking of all the people that sell chins that don't do proper research.

I know what you mean.. I've noticed a lot of people on craigslist calling anything but standard rare.. I think some are trying to spice it up a bit to make people pay more.. But for the people like you mentioned, the ones that really don't know what they are doing is just sad.

i haven't seen anything that bad in my area but there were two times when i found a chin for a very low price or the owner had to give them away i went to check it out fully expecting food, hay, bedding the essentials. Both times I was shocked to find them saying 'oh they eat anything guinea pig food or you can get those bird seeds from the dollar store' BIRDSEEDS?! The other one was bathing in stuff that looked like lttle rocks and had cedar scented bedding with green growth in his water bottle. I really hate people buying pets before they know what they need and what they're getting into

They call them rare because the pet store they bought them from called it rare. Petco listed "plain" standard chins at $125.00 and "rare" beige chins at $150.00.

It has nothing to do with having knowledge - it has to do with being a selling gimmick so you can get more money, just like panda mosaic, reverse mosaic, blah, blah.

...I have to chime in....my favorite's that I have seen posted in stores are "Silver" and also the "Rare African Violet".

I have a good relationship with the owner...and informed him there wasn't such a thing as an "African Violet Chinchilla" - but he insisted that's what the breeder he bought it from insisted it was....

He probably just misheard. There is an Afro Violet and they evidently thought it stood for African.

This is a new description posted on CL today:
One is an exotic white and silver calico pattern - super pretty: $100

At least they are only charging $100. I've seen so many chins on CL that are priced well over $200 just because they aren't standard.

Wow! The descriptions people post are kind of interesting.

As Peggy said, its what the pet store has them listed at. A guy who was dating of friend of the family seen my chins and he called MaveRick and Gizmo rare. Even ask if I got them for so and so pet store because he was gonna go get his rare beige chinchilla there.
You should have seen the look on his face when he saw..Chase (Dk. Ebony); Macy (Dk. Tan), Tucker (Violet White or Mosaic), and Luna (Black Velvet). He was asking where they came from, said he hasnt ever seen those colors before.
*he isnt very smart*

i saw an add like that on craiglist.. cept it was for a "rare albino gerbil" XD

Whoa, I'm sitting on a GOLDMINE!!! That means that everyone on here who breeds mutations is, like, super wealthy, right?

;)

Seriously, though, it's very unfortunate that some people are getting suckered into paying a lot more for a chinchilla than necessary merely because of its coloring. I think some chins are prettier than others, but I wouldn't pay a ton for an animal just because it's pretty.

Back