rescues

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lets not forget there is one that is still in need. The little guy will be let loose in the wild if he is not picked up???

I just got an email from the nutty guy. He is thinking of keeping the chin (it is a female). Unfortunately my gut feelings is that he let the chin go in the woods. He had left a phone message and email over the weekend when I was away. I am willing to bet that when he couldn't get a hold of me, he let the chin go. When I answered him on Tues, I think he decided to 'play the game' and pretend he still had the chin. However, he did make the mistake in mentioning that his wife said to call/email a rescue, he wanted to let the chin go in the woods. I emailed him back and told him that that was against the law and cited a case where a man was fined heavily for letting a domestic rabbit go. Then I mentioned I needed the cage measurements so I could see if my brother-in-law could pick up the chin. He didn't email back right away and when he did he wanted to know where the article was about the person who was fined. I told him and next day (today) he said he was thinking of keeping her. I really think she is probably dead by now in the woods with this heat. I feel like crying for that poor animal

Poor baby :( I will never understand what is wrong with some people. Do they have a heart or a brain?

I'm so sorry Barb.
What do you think about calling the local animal control in his area? He needs to be taught a lesson. Make him prove to them that he kept the chinchilla, and if he can't, he should be fined. Or arrested.

But really, I'd like to take him and drop him in the remotest part of the Sahara possible, without ANYTHING, especially water. See how he likes being stranded and left to die. Oh, and make sure there's a pack of lions nearby. Hungry lions. What a -multiple expletives-
GRRRR!!!!

OMG! I wish you the best of luck, I hope he doesn't do something like that! If he claims to have 'found a home' for her, I suggest you call the animal welfare group in his area and make them arrest him, tell them he released it into the woods.

First, you cannot MAKE anyone arrest him. People beat their dogs to death and all they get is a fine. Horses are left to starve until their ribs stand out and they cannot stand. They don't get arrested either. They get a fine. Spazzing and wanting lions to eat them and throwing expletives around does absolutely nothing. I get irritated with people for all kinds of reasons - dumping their chins because they get married/have a child, killing their chins through stupidity or carelessness, refusing vet care. If it upsets you that badly, then don't read the craigslist ads and don't read these types of posts.

Second, you would have to prove that he set her loose. When the authorities got there, he could just say she got loose in the house and they can't find her "right now." Or maybe he put a sign up at a grocery store and gave her away to a stranger. People do that all the time. He was talking to Barb about her. He could have been talking to someone else about her too.

This is, sadly, one of those cases of nothing you can do and move on.

You did your best Barb, but unless he still has her and turns her over to you, there just isn't anything you can do. :(

If he did let her loose in the bushes then it is possible that maybe someone will find her. I know it's a long shot but chinchillas have been found outside before and have been taken in by someone. My Pip was found outside in the hottest day of May several years ago and we found him, brought him in and kept him; still have my Pippy. :))

Actually, one of the girls on the french canadian forum was given a chinchilla that was picked up on the downtown streets of Montreal during the months of July. (moving month). Although this is very upsetting, there is hope for some.

Tunes I know that - I did email one of the rescues groups in that area and asked what if anything I could do. I know probably nothing because I don't know for SURE he let the chin go. I do have his tel. # and of course his email address but unless the authorities KNOW for sure a crime has committed they can't use that information to find him

Just another note for everyone following the rescue thread(s), I finally received an email back from the owner of the un-dusted, sad looking chinchilla in Syracuse, NY, so I will be picking him up in the near future, and we will be railroading him to FL. Here is the thread for anyone who is interested::
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15675&page=4
P.S.
This guy will be very happy soon, so don't be (too) sad about his current predicament. :)

Well some more good news...the little guy from Jersey City was picked up tonight. He was in an awful environment...my fiancee said it was closing around high 80's in the place where he was kept. The person that owned him was a little girl (maybe around 13) and definitely seemed to love him, but had no idea how to take care of him properly.

The poor thing had no litter in his carrier and it was apparent that his carrier hadn't been cleaned in days :( So he was walking about in his own mess.

He has a phenominal personality though...begs for attention, lets you hold him (briefly, he still wants to run, haha)...we are going to give him a run in the bathroom now that he is all cleaned up, dusted, and has some yummy food in his system (which he just couldn't get down fast enough as you can see from the pics). He isn't the least bit shy.

I didn't take a pic of him when he first got here...trust me, no one would have wanted to see that. But all seems better now.

Attachments

• IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0785.jpg
    IMG_0785.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 33
Jim just wanted to get him out of there and in to the AC so he forgot to ask. He is going to call tomorrow...in the meantime we're calling him Rufus haha!

and tomorrow when i pick him up, i will confirm that he is a he and not a she as michelle is not 100% sure.

gonna give him a nice big cage and fatten him up for ya brittany!

and tomorrow when i pick him up, i will confirm that he is a he and not a she as michelle is not 100% sure.

gonna give him a nice big cage and fatten him up for ya brittany!

:kiss: Thanks Michelle! Poor little Rufus, not even sure if he's a he! :hilarious:
You can get him all roly-poly for me, I love having big fat fatties (yep, that's a Queen reference). :3 Hopefully Pico will be getting fat soon, heehee~!

He does look better but he's definitely thin but I'm sure he'll be fattened up in no time. Cute lil guy. :))

Back