OH boy..(literally!)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stella ate .6cc's again. She's also becoming much more active. Mom's still keeping her warm.

For the milk... we used fresh so do we still need to use a new frozen cube of it every 48 hrs? Or was that only for the condensed milk and water?

I'm not all that positive on the fresh milk Colleen. I only ever use the canned because it's easy to store in the cupboard and in the freezer. I would not go for weeks using the goat's milk once you open the container. Instead, I would do the mix, then freeze the cubes and take them out one at a time to use.

Glad to hear she's doing better! It's such a RELIEF when they start to gain!

She just ate another .5cc's and mom seems to be licking her underside - so that's good.

And we made the frozen cubes but we still have about a cup fresh in the fridge. I think I'll get rid of that tomorrow and just go to the cubes.

Stella's still 38gms.

Am I reading this right? I've never bred chins, nor have I raised them from birth -
but .6cc's or .5cc (point 6 or point 5) doesn't seem like very much at all. I know 5cc (same as 5ml) is one teaspoon, and I'm just concerned....

We might try increasing the feedings...

Jill, we haven't either... but she's really tiny. And she's drinking that every 4 hours at the moment... :/

We can't be sure, and she's not losing weight, so she's keeping her weight SOMEHOW...so I'm ASSUMING she has her milk...

Baby just ate about 2 minutes ago, she ate about .8cc.

I'd just like to see some weight gain!

When you weigh the kit, are you weighing in pounds/ounces and then converting it to grams? Or, are you weighing in grams? Weighing in grams is more accurate since a gram is a smaller unit than an ounce. If you are weighing in ounces and converting, you may not be seeing a gain even though she did gain.

I think maybe an increase in handfeedings would be good. They are very tiny and so I don't think they eat near as much as we think they do. Chinchilla mom's are not very large and don't have the mammaries human's do to feed their kits. As long as the baby is eatting and not losing I think that is a good sign.

We upped feedings to once every two hours. Lets see how Stella progesses.

We also started letting her run around for a few seconds when she starts to squirm then see if she's still hungry and now she's eating about 1cc every 2-4 hours. Nick works and I can't get over to feed her sometimes so it hasn't been a consistent 2 hours. but it has been at least every 4

Back