Lookie what I made!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caiti

I had been thinking of building a cage since I got my chin, Chloe 3 months ago. I've never built anything before, which is why it took me 3 months to plan and create it.

It cost me a good $200, but I also had to buy EVERYTHING, i.e drill, wire cutters, staple gun, screws, hand saw etc. I had nothing to start with. I made a lot of mistakes and it was in general an insane experience. But it's finally done.

The shelves are lipped, every edge of the melamine is covered in wood (couldn't find metal siding, and I can easily replace the wood when she chews it since I have scrap wood ALL over my room now), it's on wheels, the doors have locks and everything is good to go!! It measures about 41" wide, 29" deep and 60" tall.

I'm sorry the pics are so big, I have no idea how to resize them. Oh and in the last pic, none of the electrical wires are close enough to the cage that she can get to them...just to let you know. I know you guys worry!!

Attachments

• cagefull.jpg
    cagefull.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 118
  • cagetop.jpg
    cagetop.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 95
  • cagebottom.jpg
    cagebottom.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 90
  • cageroom.jpg
    cageroom.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 106
Wonderful job - looks like chinnie heaven! My only suggestion would be to add more shelves/hammocks at some point - if your chin is as clumsy as ours can be, I could see the potential for a fall

Wonderful job - looks like chinnie heaven! My only suggestion would be to add more shelves/hammocks at some point - if your chin is as clumsy as ours can be, I could see the potential for a fall

Yea, I'm planning on doing that soon. She gets around fine so far but thanks for the advice.

Great job. Looks awesome.

I have 2 homemade cages and I like them more than store bought wire cages.
I just recently got done with one about 2 weeks ago. It was a lot of work and thinking, because the first one was plans from a cage a friend made. The second one, daddy made off the top of his head and to his likings. Which made it harder, lol
Then he forgot to measure the doors to make sure it would fit...it didnt. he had to redo their doorway too :D lol

Anyways, looks awesome, just needs more stuff in it to provent falls :D

Back