How do we feel about this cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nadeshda

Hi everyone :)

I'm getting new cages for my chins, since they were housed together, but began fighting. The boyfriend and I were already thinking of getting the girls a new cage, because we wanted them in the living room with us, but it was too big and didn't fit anywhere, besides the fact that is was too heavy (all wood and melamine) to be transported to the first floor.

Unfortunately, where I live, cages suitable for chins are a major rip-off. I'm talking 80€ for a cage that is only 2 feet tall, wide, and deep. MartinsCages and QC would be too expensive for us right now to ship here (we're in Portugal), since he's a full-time student and I have been unemployed since I graduated last October. We came across this one, however, and we can afford two of those:

http://www.tiendanimal.es/huron-cage-ferret-level-p-1564.html

Do you think this is safe for them? I'm a bit worried with the spacing between the bars, I don't know if it is too wide... on the bottom, I can just put some safe mesh on top, but on all the sides, it wouldn't look too good :\

It is 36.6 inches tall, 25 inches wide and 17.3 deep.

Thanks for your help :)

It looks like a nice cage - although I'd be worried about the spacing between the bars also. You can remove the plastic shelves and put in pine ones!

You don't even need to remove the plastic shelves if your chins aren't chewers. Mine never touched the shelves and they were housed in super pet cages for 2 years.

They look like very nice cages, but I agree, I would be careful of the bar width. If your chins are smallish, they might be able to squeeze through them.

I forgot to mention, the plastic shelves will be gone in at least one of the cages, because one of them for sure is a plastic chewer. The other one, I don't know, but we'll probably still put pine shelves instead :)

I found out the width space of the bars, they are one inch. That's ok for adult chins, right? It's kits who have to have a smaller spacing, right? Thanks again :) My chins are between 500 and 600grams, if that helps.

Yup. 1 inch is absolutely fine. A lot of us on this forum use a Ferret Nation cage and it uses 1 inch bar spacing.

in the picture the spacing looks much bigger! it is a pretty neat cage, nice size. i have plastic shelves in one of my cages but that chin is not a chewer.

in the picture the spacing looks much bigger! it is a pretty neat cage, nice size. i have plastic shelves in one of my cages but that chin is not a chewer.

The cage across is 25 inches and if you count the bars at the bottom, there are 25. I agree that it does look larger, but alas, it's not. :D

It looks like a nice cage, I would remove the floor or modify it somehow (as you said you would anyway), that spacing does not look safe, it should be 1/4 inch x 1/4 inch to be safe wire flooring :)).

I have this cage and its brill ,nice big doors and so light to move around and have had no probs with bar spacing at all x

Back