help me choose a cage

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planetjenessa

planetjenessa
So I'm giving up building a melamine cage.

I need help on picking a cage for housing ONE chinchilla.
If you can post pictures and links to the cage you suggested.
( I'm asking for pictures and links because I'm currently browsing the web using cell/tablet) and it can be a hassle using such

NOTE: i already know about the critter/ferret nation. I want other options.
I was thinking of the Marshall folding ferret mansion.
Any one has this?

I have the Marshall mansion. Selling it actually. That's how much I 'like' it. I'm not crazy about the doors. When the bottom one's open it hits the ground at an angle so you can't get right up to the front of the cage. Even though the doors are large, I always had a hard time catching china in that cage. It's big, and so I felt like I always had to have half my body in the cage to even come close to catching the chin. But we're talking about rescues - if your chin willingly came to the front of the cage or was easy to catch, it wouldn't be that bad. Then, the pan is like an FN pan - plastic and waaaay too shallow. Shavings everywhere if you don't either replace it or litter train the chin. Plus if you have the regular pan and a chin jumps down there from a shelf, the way the pan sits, it makes quite the loud noise. Just dont like the cage. I suppose that's why I'm replacing it with a used FN w bass pans. None of those problems.

I have a Marshal mansion cage. It's an ok cage, sturdy but with flaws. Like mentioned, the doors are a pain in the butt. That's the only thing I don't like about the cage, besides the bar spacing being a little big, but it's plenty of space for a single chin. I think I have a picture on my profile, if not you can PM if you want to see my set up! I need updated pictures of my new setup

I like the critter nation or ferret nation for a pet cage. They seem sturdy, roomy and come with a base on wheels. I don't like the low pans they come with, but bassequipment.com makes metal pans that are higher, plus you can wrap a piece of fleece about 10 inches high around the bottom perimeter to keep the shavings in and they also like to hide behind it. The doors are the whole front of the cage so it's easy to to fit large wheels, etc. in them. I do use a spring hook on the cage doors because I have had a chin figure out how to open the doors (I have had chins figure out how to get out of the martins breeding cages too). I don't like cages with plastic bottoms that are not enclosed in wire because they can chew out of those over night.

If you are looking for a cage for one chin, as cheaply as possible, then I recommend this one:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Bird-Pa...I&otn=1&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=168464591860901686

It's $119 with free shipping.

It's an aviary, with one large door in the middle. Tami lived in one of these for over a year, and it's a nice size cage for a single chin. You will have to wire the tiny birdfeeder doors shut, and build your own shelves, but other than that, you can't beat it.

Here's a pic of Tami's cage back in the day:
100_3251.jpg

Last edited:
i reccomend the Kennal aire cat playpen, i got one at my local farm store for around 90$ completely new, i had to build shelves, but that was easy, hes a picture of eins cage now,

Attachments

• #.jpg
    #.jpg
    97.1 KB
I have the Marshall mansion. Selling it actually. That's how much I 'like' it. I'm not crazy about the doors. When the bottom one's open it hits the ground at an angle so you can't get right up to the front of the cage. Even though the doors are large, I always had a hard time catching china in that cage. It's big, and so I felt like I always had to have half my body in the cage to even come close to catching the chin. But we're talking about rescues - if your chin willingly came to the front of the cage or was easy to catch, it wouldn't be that bad. Then, the pan is like an FN pan - plastic and waaaay too shallow. Shavings everywhere if you don't either replace it or litter train the chin. Plus if you have the regular pan and a chin jumps down there from a shelf, the way the pan sits, it makes quite the loud noise. Just dont like the cage. I suppose that's why I'm replacing it with a used FN w bass pans. None of those problems.

How do i view your cage pictures? Im new to this so i dont know what to press lol

Back