Has anyone made a border around their cage?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottomatk

I've owned my chin for about six months, and he is finally coming around to me. I've worked hard and researched the best things to get for him, and you all have been great help. As we all know, chinchillas can sometimes make a mess with their bedding, and it is always getting on the floor, along with their poop. I was wondering if anyone has tried to make a thin border around the bottom of the cage to help with the mess? If so, what did you guys use? I'll upload pics of Fin the chin and his cage soon, thanks!

I haven't done this personally, but some people have used kiln dried pine to surround the inside of their cages. Others just have higher metal pans. They're not guaranteed to keep everything in, but it helps.

@smhluvsmh Your cage is amazing! Does the border help a lot?

It keeps bedding and poop mess to a minimum. I find it makes a huge difference. I only use bedding on the very bottom. The rest are either wooden or tiled shelves. My girls go down to the bottom to pee. I would not want to be without the surrounds. My girls are in my living room, so I like to keep the mess to a minimum. I usually can get away with just a quick vacuum with the handheld when I vacuum their shelves at night. Easy, peasy!

That's awesome. Do you think making a border out of metal would be a good idea?

I've been brainstorming the idea of using fleece as a border around the bottom of my cage. Metal would be a good idea, it just might be a little more costly than expected.

I don't see why metal wouldn't work as long as its safe. I like the rustic outdoorsy feel of the wood!

SMH do you have a metal pan in there too?

I have a 6" high fleece on my FN, it keeps down some of the mess but the pine looks like an awesome idea... guess I know what I'm doing this afternoon.

No, I use the regular plastic pan because the girls don't mess with it. It's covered with the bedding and they don't even know its there. The wood surround sits on the lip of the pan so they couldn't get to that even if they wanted to, HA!

I have done a couple different borders.

Fleece:
IMG_1909.jpg

Wood:
579353_415390711834124_917143518_n.jpg

Essentia, I love the fleece border! Does it keep things in as well as the wood one does? Thinking of making border for my cage at some point, but I'm curious about which one keeps the most in.

I have wooden ones around the bottom of my babies home. Little to no mess. However, I do have my entire cage wrapped in hardware cloth at the moment since all my boys are under 6 months so I'm sure that helps as well.

Back