Chinchilla is fur biting

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ottomatk

I've had my chinchilla for about three weeks now, and just noticed fur biting around his hing leg. Not sure what to do, I've been doing plenty of research to make sure the little guy is happy as can be and I'm really bummed.

There's nothing you can do really. Provide chew toys to distract him, but fur chewing is genetic so there isn't a whole lot you can do about it. Some people have good luck with keeping their chin in a quiet area so they don't stress out, but it's not a given that will work.

Don't get too upset about it. It's nothing you've done and it doesn't mean he's unhappy. He still has as much potential to be a loving, fun playmate that any other chin has. He'll just have a unique hair cut. :)

If he's only chewing a little bit, you may find that that clears up with time. While chewing is genetic, environmental factors can cause them to kick it into high gear. It will always be there in the background, but you may find a few tricks that help keep it to a bare minimum.

Since you only had him for 3 weeks there is a good chance once he really settles in (that can take a month/2/3 or more) he will stop. If not as Tunes said you just live with it. Since he is a pet it is no big deal.

I'm hoping he turns out okay. I'll keep a good eye on him and see if it turns up anywhere else, but right now it's only around his back leg. Thanks everyone for making feel a looot better!

Back