Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just wondering: how do we know what request is legitimate and what isn't? Anyone can post for donations on the Net. I'm asking this b/c there's a scam going on in BC Canada right now where people have a bunch of ads set up asking for donations for rescued animals and apparently they are totally fake and are just scamming people.

Awww, those chins in tiny little crates is heartbreaking. At least they're alive though.

Sheila Dempsey does work with the HWS. And reading on the hedgehog side there are some people already working with her to help with the rescue efforts. This is very easily found by going on the website. Or even asking on the hedgehog side for verification. If you are worried about someone using her name with their account to get donations simply email the email address listen on the Hedgehog Welfare site and ask. The internet is very handy in figuring out these things.

For other ads the same thing can be done. Just look up the requesting party (company or personal name) if they are legit they will most likely have some other info listed somewhere about them.

Like Peggy said, its ok to hold off a bit. We dont even know about the custody status of these animals.

From another forum, I read that someone who lives in Arlington had contacted the SPCA about rescues and the SPCA has stated that none of the animals would be adopted out, that they plan to take the animals to zoos so that they won't end up back in the same situation.

Not sure if this is true since I think it's up to a judge's ruling, but I can't get in touch with the SPCA to find out. What zoos would want 700 hedgies running around? And 1000 hamsters? I guess I'm just trying to understand why they would stick the animals in zoos and not rescues.

That is crazy. Zoos aren't going to want to take all those animals.

Well, good luck to them. I'm sure there are many individuals who would be qualified to care for them, but if that's the way they want to handle it, more power to them.

(From article) ...should the animals be awarded to the SPCA of Texas...
From what all of the articles say, the SPCA does not hold all the animals, various wellfare groups do. Also, they have to be awarded the animals over the USDA and the other groups lobbying for them.

Will be interesting to see where they go.

I wonder where they are going to find zoos to take in that many animals. If you think about it, how many zoos are there per state, maybe 2 or 3? So if there are 2 zoos per state in the continental us that's 96 zoos which is roughly 275 animals per zoo. I can understand some of the exotics like the sloth or lemurs going to zoos but iguanas and snakes? I wouldn't be surprised if many of the animals are euthanized just to make it a clean and simple rescue effort.

I wonder where they are going to find zoos to take in that many animals. If you think about it, how many zoos are there per state, maybe 2 or 3? So if there are 2 zoos per state in the continental us that's 96 zoos which is roughly 275 animals per zoo. I can understand some of the exotics like the sloth or lemurs going to zoos but iguanas and snakes? I wouldn't be surprised if many of the animals are euthanized just to make it a clean and simple rescue effort.

Exactly.

I prefer to believe that the statement may be a cover so they don't have to deal with millions of "uh, could I take a 'Pinkachu' or a python? 'Cause my brother owned a lizard when he was 12, so I know what to do with egzotics" questions from John Q Public. But then they'll work with zoos and rescue organizations to rehome the vast majority of the animals.

Though I fear that euthanization thing may be more what happens. Gosh, these 400 chins and hedgies have worms... is that iguana missing a leg... better put them out of their misery. Then there's only a handful left to be sent to zoos. Or back to their original owners.

Last I read, criminal charges had not been filed. Is that still the case?

Gosh, these 400 chins and hedgies have worms... is that iguana missing a leg... better put them out of their misery.
:clap: My sentiments exactly. If it requires a lot of effort and $ then they should be put to sleep "where they are better off":Sarcasmd: because they are "un-adoptable".:no:

Last edited:
Yeah, I'd say highly unlikely. Zoos don't take animals from the public for quarantine and exposure issues to current resident animals. And the number of them is too much for most to handle, or even make a dent in if every single zoo took one or two. I know for a fact that an owner cannot give their animal to a zoo. Only a sanctuary will consider it.

The Humane Society website says they will not be put up for adoption but sent out to welfare agencies specific to the animals and on to rescues, which seems to line up with what I've seen so far.

From another forum, I read that someone who lives in Arlington had contacted the SPCA about rescues and the SPCA has stated that none of the animals would be adopted out, that they plan to take the animals to zoos so that they won't end up back in the same situation.

Not sure if this is true since I think it's up to a judge's ruling, but I can't get in touch with the SPCA to find out. What zoos would want 700 hedgies running around? And 1000 hamsters? I guess I'm just trying to understand why they would stick the animals in zoos and not rescues.

Well if I can help with ANYTHING let me know, I can take in MOST reptiles and amphibians I have extensive expierence, I can take in Ferrets, chinnies, hedgehogs, and have some expierence with other exotics. I can also help with anu railroad possible. I know a railroad to me may not be possible but I have some reptile stuff here I can send to someone and I have some pull with a feed store sooooo maybe I can work out a donation from them.

My sentiments exactly. If it requires a lot of effort and $ then they should be put to sleep "where they are better off":Sarcasmd: because they are "un-adoptable".:no:

I don't believe in putting large numbers of animals to sleep if it's not necessary, but we had a smaller scale issue with hamsters just a few years ago. And there are supposedly a couple thousand hamsters involved in this raid.

In the case I was involved in, a Petsmart truck filled with animals that had come from their Texas distribution facility and were being dropped at their stores was taken to the Ventura County California animal control facility when the driver was arrested on unrelated charges. They sent their people to pick up the chins and guinea pigs (high ticket animals) and abandoned about 450 hamsters as well as a bunch of rats and mice at the shelter.

As President of the California Hamster Association, I was contacted to take the about 450 hamsters. We had to decline on all Syrian (aka teddy bear) hamsters because of Petsmart's extremely high rate of disease in the species. All rescuers in the club have their own Syrians at home, and many of us had pups and/or pregnant females. The 250+ Syrians would need their own cages within a month, and that capacity is just not here in the Southern California system.

The rat and mouse, guinea pig, and rabbit rescues stepped in and did a tremendous amount to help. In the end, many of the Syrians went to experienced non-hamster rescuers who already had the antibiotics on hand to treat the sick animals (and Ventura separated them into two categories upon arrival: "already sick" and "living with the sick and thus exposed"). I helped coach the rescuers, and I only know of one single Syrian that survived among these rescuers (and many died at the shelter). The Russian dwarf species did better with about a 50% survival. Our club took many Roborovski dwarf hamsters (the most exotic of the hamster species kept as pets), and that species did the best.

So even in the case of a pet store abandoning animals that were on the way to their stores, the death rates were *appallingly* high. With this place infested with roaches, parasites, and who knows what else, the organizations that take them have their hands full just keeping the animals alive. Even with their best efforts, large percentages may die. In the Petsmart rescue effort, animals were abandoned the next day after intake while these poor animals are getting sent to intermediary locations. It's mind-boggling to comprehend, and it will be the animals that suffer -- as always.

Linda

P.S. I know we're far away, but the California Hamster Association will take a big chunk of the Roborovski dwarf hamsters if they are released and can get here, and they're the most likely hamster species to be found at an exotics facility. We know how to house them and place appropriately.

I admit to being completely ignorant as to the scope of something like this. I knew that pet stores were a place to avoid getting pets from, but I had no idea how bad it really was. Please bear with me with my next question, but if the animals go go a rescue, what then? Don't rescues typically adopt the animals out? I'm asking that because if the Humane Society says they will not be adopted out, how is it possible to keep track of so many animals that will be going to so many different locations? How can it be expected to keep them with a rescue organization indefinitely?

Something I wonder about is are all the animals paid for? Can the vendors claim ownership on the higher priced animals if not paid for and demand their return?

I admit to being completely ignorant as to the scope of something like this. I knew that pet stores were a place to avoid getting pets from, but I had no idea how bad it really was.

The overwhelming majority of pet stores that sell live animals should not be in that business. Pet stores should be supplies only. It really is that bad yet people on this forum and elsewhere keep going back to these stores, particularly the chain stores, to buy their supplies because they're cheaper and more convenient. The power to change the system is within our grasp. Most of the chains have quit selling puppies and kittens yet they keep selling the small animals, bird, reptiles, etc. because people just don't care as much about them. You have to make your voice heard with your money. It's the only language they speak. And you have to let them know you've quit shopping their because they sell live animals.

Please bear with me with my next question, but if the animals go go a rescue, what then? Don't rescues typically adopt the animals out? I'm asking that because if the Humane Society says they will not be adopted out, how is it possible to keep track of so many animals that will be going to so many different locations? How can it be expected to keep them with a rescue organization indefinitely?

Yes, with a few exceptions (often called sanctuaries), most rescues adopt out the animals they take in. Many will only take in the adoptable ones. If a rescue gets too many "sanctuary" animals, it limits their ability to take in more rescues. Eventually they are full with animals that can't be adopted out. I know of multiple cases where this has occurred in different breeds and species, and they just cease to take in animals until some in their care pass away which can be years later.

Some rescues will take in animals involved in lawsuits like this one knowing they'll be with them long term. In other cases, for example a dog involved in a bite incident, the animal is kept at a shelter in a location where people can't interact with the dog until the court case is decided and the dog is either put to sleep or returned to its owner.

It doesn't sound like they yet know what to do with these animals. Zoos, sanctuaries, rescues, etc. are all being considered. It may depend on the type of animal. I can't imagine zoos or sanctuaries lining up for the 2000 hamsters (unless they're one of the endangered and hard-to-keep species like the European hamster but even then...). For any of the common hamster species or other small animals readily available, it just doesn't make sense to send them to zoos or sanctuaries. For some of the other animals like the wallabies, though, a sanctuary or zoo may be the best option depending on the condition of the animals.

But the sheer volume of some of these species means the overwhelming majority of rescues can't handle them either. Rescues just don't keep open capacity for hundreds or thousands of animals coming in at one time -- especially if potential pregnancies are involved or if the animals are sick and need extra care. And then it gets difficult to assess which rescues are legitimate (some of your dog "rescuers" actually do it to make a living). For your smallest, least expensive animals, you can't use 501(c)3 non-profit status to weed out the bad from the good since even the legitimate small animal rescues typically don't pay to get that status.

So it's a big mess, and the animals will be the ones to suffer. The volume and range of animals is just too much to deal with easily. People on this list and others around the country will take in small numbers, but when there are hundreds and thousands of some of these species/breeds, passing them out even in 10's is a monstrous job that no one is equipped to do.
Linda

Update Wed afternoon. The defense has rested its case. Now we wait for the judge's ruling. Most likely next week.

PETA paid Goldman $135 for each day he turned in a report while working as a snake caretaker for seven months.
Just Wow.
The PETA worker is being accused of not taking proper care of the reptiles in his care and mislabeling them.

Doss said he discovered during a visit that Goldman had mislabeled some snakes as indigo snakes, an incident he now finds suspicious because those are an endangered species that U.S. Global does not have a permit to have.

http://www.kvia.com/Global/story.asp?S=11744436

Back