Appropriate Toys for Baby Chins (Kits)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyzarandGemma

Chinchilla Enthusiasts!
Hello all! I was just curious if there are toys I should avoid for my kits that I am getting in March? We are decking out the cage with all sorts of stuff but I wanted to get some kit appropriate toys as well now! Thank you all so much for any and all help!!

Obviously no plastic, and anything wooden or vine should be fine. No food treats until they are 6 months, so avoid any of that for a while.

I say avoid any toys with treats on them. You can always post pictures of toys that you question. There area lot of members who will steer you in the right direction.

Walmart supercenter sells good quality wooden dangling bite toys for about $1.99! Much cheaper than buying them at a pet store. Like others have suggested, you should also avoid plastics and toys that have sugary treats hidden in them! My chins really like to play with the bell on their metal hay ball dispenser and their hammock. It's not necessary to buy them new toys ALL the time. You can just rearrange their cage set up every once in a while!

Ugh my phone posted the link I referred to below here xP any anyways incase you want to make your own toys definitely check out this thread on safe n unsafe woods.
http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10170&highlight=safe+wood
(Orginally where I started >=\)
Pumice stone toys are definitely one of Tofu's favorite, that and almost any bird ... avoid the ones with plastic or seeds though.

The best thing is making your own, my bf and I do that. Wood pieces, pumice stone etc...

Just an fyi in case you didn't know make sure any wood you use is safe. Here's a post about safe n unsafe woods for chins.

Have fun decking out their cage... I sure did!! And congrats on your soon to own kits.

Yes, we made our own toys in the end using the link you posted above (having found it on our own) but I am glad you posted it here so that way if any other new owners are looking for the answer it is right here!

I should add, if you have your own drill and your Ace Hardware or Home Depot does scraps of Kiln-dried pine, this is a very cheap process. I made 4 toys from leftover wood I had AFTER making a hidey-house, etc. If you buy a piece of scrap straight out and have them cut it up for you, it's about $5. Then food dye (if you want it) and hardware are another $15, but you can reuse it! So all in all, very cheap to make your own!

Still support the vendors here too, though! They always have cool shapes I can't make! :)

Here are two of the four that I made :)
img_0205.jpg

Y'all did a great job with their cage! Toys are a lot of fun to make if you have the time and patience - and the right tools. :)

Back