What do you use for bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use for bedding?

• Shavings

Votes: 74 50.3%
  • Carefresh

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Fleece Liners (with litter pans)

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Fleece Liners (without litter pans)

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
pine/aspen shavings from a hay and feed store. definitely cheaper than the pet store!!

Fleece liners didn't work out for me so I switched back to pine shavings.

We use aspen shavings, but I really prefer cellsorb plus. I just can't get it anywhere around here. :(

Since August I have used tiles, shavings and fleece liners with litter pan (which I'm currently using). So far they have proven easily the most convenient (and eye pleasing).

I use Aspen shavings mainly and Carefresh in the corners he pees in.

I use yesterdays news. Can someone please tell me about the fleece liners? I have seen people use them for heggies but how do they work for chins. How do you make them and how often do you have to change them?

I've used all kinds of things.

I prefer pine shavings, though I have used the wood pellets. Too dusty for me.

I have also used expired feed in a pinch, and it works very well for oder. Better than pine, actually.

We use fleece liners without the litter pans and change them every two days.

Are the rumors about Yesterday's News true? I heard that it is really sweeping off of the factory floor, and people have found plastic, metal, etc. in there.

kiln dried pine shavings here (the big shavings which do not absorb as well as the smaller ones but don't have dust either...)

I use pine bedding, and have no problems.

jk- you make them with an absorbent layer in the middle, or just 2 layers of fleece. Most people who use them also have a potty tray, and then wash the fleece every 3 days or so.

I normally use aspen shavings but last month I tried out some pine pellets which worked SO well at absorbing urine and kept the chin room smelling fresher for longer. The only con to those pellets is that since they are so compact, they are HEAVY! I have also used Carefresh Ultra in the past when I had much fewer chins. I never had any problems with it and I liked how soft and absorbant it was; it just got to be so expensive when my numbers grew.

I love my fleece liners, mine are basically fleece pillowcases where I can put the pan in, and on the inside I use puppy training pads to absorb the urine (works great, and cleaning is sooo easy)

Back