What do you use for bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use for bedding?

• Shavings

Votes: 74 50.3%
  • Carefresh

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Fleece Liners (with litter pans)

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Fleece Liners (without litter pans)

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
I use fleece liners - I make mine with 3 layers of fleece - two layers just didn't seem to work very well for me. No litter, and change after 2-3 days

We use aspen bedding. I use it for my birds so makes sense to use it for both. Besides I can get aspen cheaper than pine.

Back in the day I used to use Carefresh, but then I discovered fleece liners and I have never gone back!

I'm currently using pine shavings however next weekend my brother-in-law and I are going to work on switching to tiles. Debbie has done this and it worked well. I'm hoping it will too as the shavings really are getting everywhere even with the bass pans.

we use pine shavings here, we get it about 4.25 for a huge bag and go through a bag a week.

I'm a pretty new chin owner and I've just been using carefresh, but it seems like the majority of people use pine shavings. Is there an advantage of pine shavings over carefresh? As far as I knew, carefresh is more absorbent.

I'm a pretty new chin owner and I've just been using carefresh, but it seems like the majority of people use pine shavings. Is there an advantage of pine shavings over carefresh? As far as I knew, carefresh is more absorbent.

For myself, the pine shavings are an economic consideration. I couldn't even begin to afford Carefresh for the chins, with 150 or so cages. They'd have to snack on the carefresh, because no food would be coming. :)

I do use the Carefresh Ultra for the rats, but that's only three cages.

I voted for pine shavings. But I also use fabric (with litter pan & without) for the areas Flea tends to use.

I use liners without litter pans in some of my cages, simply because I havent gotten liners made for everyone just yet. The other cages get pine shavings for now. For rats & rabbit, I use kiln dried pine pellets, and I'm thinking of trying that in litter pans for the chin cages that have liners. (all but one of my chins seem to have a favorite pee corner, so I think litter pan training will be pretty easy for them)
~Barb~

Back