What do you use for bedding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you use for bedding?

• Shavings

Votes: 74 50.3%
  • Carefresh

Votes: 14 9.5%
  • Fleece Liners (with litter pans)

Votes: 25 17.0%
  • Fleece Liners (without litter pans)

Votes: 16 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 18 12.2%

• Total voters
I use pine shavings for right now... but that fleece lining sounds like a good idea. Especially because I can put in the metal tray for the bottom of my cage and only cover half because my boy likes to pee in the corner... I just got him a new cage and it has the slide out tray, so I am going to look into making the fleece liners.

Okay, I know this is an older post. But, I have a question. I use horse stall bedding (like wood stove pellets) for my rabbits liter box. Can use them in the chin cages for bedding?

As long as they are kiln dried, they are fine. That's what I use. A lot of people think they hurt the chins feet, but I have been using them for years with no problems. The edges aren't sharp - they're more rounded.

I currently use nothing on the bottom of my QC, but I have a litter pan for them to pee in. Only 1 gets the concept, the other pushes his but up next to it, and pees next to it.... oh well. I have tried fleece in the past and it was just too much of a pain to clean. I have also tried carefresh, but they ate it like food, so then I switched to all aspen and it was just too expensive to buy a huge bag and use most of it in 1 cleaning.

So now nothing is on the bottom, which makes it easy to spot clean and vacuum, and I clean out the litter pan every 3 days. It works well for me.

I used to use carefresh. I changed her to pine when I found out eating carefresh could cause blocking. Sometimes I would catch her eating her bedding so the carefresh had to go.

Back