Thinking of Breeding Rescue with Unique Fur

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

menagerie

Creative Genius
As many of you know, I'm involved with a rescue and I know that ideally you're not supposed to breed rescues because you don't know anything about their background. Sophie is a gorgeous girl that came to me in February this year after having her leg amputated. She's approaching the perfect age for breeding, she's 9 months now. She will need to gain a bit of weight, but she's developed the most unique fur.

I can see making a fortune off her lines. It is so much cooler than the Royal Persian Angora. So I guess the first 1,000 or so will be sold as out of country only so that I can be sure to get a really high price with no competition.

On to some photos.

Here is Sophie the day she arrived.

DSCN0199-S.jpg

DSCN0201-S.jpg

and here is what she's become.

DSCN0224-S.jpg

I'm thinking of going with the name Eyelash Chenille.

Oh, you should SO go for it. I'm going to say I live in Canada for the time being so I get first dibs, k?

Meanie, I'd like to offer Stumpy for stud. He's a rescue, so I have no idea of his background, but he has such a sweet personality, I'm sure they would produce good tempered kits.

She is beautiful, but I am concerned about breeding her. It is important to emphasize that you dont know her history. I guess specifically I am thinking about genetic malo issues. If she has it in her genetics then you may be breeding all of these chins who have it also and are going to places that they are possibly not really taken great care of and the owners may not know how to fix it, (if they can). That would be my biggest concern in your position. Also, do you know if she has been bred before? It is also important if she was over bred. It is not good for them for so many reasons. Just a few things to consider I suppose....

My focus is always on the chinchillas well being as oppose to the money, but we are all different.

Am I missing something? You are thinking of breeding a rescued chin, whose background you don't know? This is a terrible idea! First of all, you should NEVER breed an animal whose background you don't know, because you have no way of knowing that she doesn't carry a genetic flaw, like malocclusion. If she passes that on to her kits, they are basically doomed to a short and painful existence. Maybe you have never seen a chinchilla suffering with malocclusion or severe heart murmur, but I have. They are miserable and die young.

Second, there is no guarantee that she would produce kits with the same fur as she has. You would be mixing her genetics with another chinchilla's, who would presumably have "normal" characteristics. AND, there is no guarantee if she did produce those kits that they would even sell the way you think. Developing a new strain of chinchilla is a LOT more involved than just breeding ONE unique female. It takes years and generations of careful selection to isolate a specific trait.

Am I missing something? You are thinking of breeding a rescued chin, whose background you don't know? This is a terrible idea! First of all, you should NEVER breed an animal whose background you don't know, because you have no way of knowing that she doesn't carry a genetic flaw, like malocclusion. If she passes that on to her kits, they are basically doomed to a short and painful existence. Maybe you have never seen a chinchilla suffering with malocclusion or severe heart murmur, but I have. They are miserable and die young.

Second, there is no guarantee that she would produce kits with the same fur as she has. You would be mixing her genetics with another chinchilla's, who would presumably have "normal" characteristics. AND, there is no guarantee if she did produce those kits that they would even sell the way you think. Developing a new strain of chinchilla is a LOT more involved than just breeding ONE unique female. It takes years and generations of careful selection to isolate a specific trait.

Yes, Meanie knows this and is a well respected rescuer in association with Wee Companions. This thread was meant to be sarcastic...

She's a cutie, Meanie!!

Chill Abby and Tilly - It was obviously a joke as Sophie has her entire face pushed out of the cage and doesn't have unique fur at all. She was being sarcastic based on other members insistence that breeding rescues is fine and dandy.

Thanks everyone, I think she's pretty special. Sug, I'm sure Stumpy would be a perfect match for her. Do you have any photos?

She is beautiful, but I am concerned about breeding her. It is important to emphasize that you dont know her history. I guess specifically I am thinking about genetic malo issues. If she has it in her genetics then you may be breeding all of these chins who have it also and are going to places that they are possibly not really taken great care of and the owners may not know how to fix it, (if they can). That would be my biggest concern in your position. Also, do you know if she has been bred before? It is also important if she was over bred. It is not good for them for so many reasons. Just a few things to consider I suppose....
The vet looked at her teeth and they're just fine. She was only 7 months old when I got her, so I highly doubt she's had any litters.

Thanks for your concerns, but I've got it all worked out, I've put a lot of thought into this. I can guaranty all her kits would have exactly the same type of fur. I'll even ship the patent pending "Eyelash Chenille Fur Patterner" which each kit.

Last edited:
I thought you might actually be considering it until the obvious sarcasm kicked in. This is great, I needed a good laugh. Gotta love the "look at me, I'm so pathetic" pics.

Last edited:
LOL If Stumpy don't work out I got a fabulous white/eb male that has 1 eyebrow(seriously) that would be perfect. We may have to use AI though.:thumbsup:

I am amazed as usual that people don't catch the humorous notes in some of these threads. LOL

By the way I think that fur pattern is fabulous and wonder if it would grow enough for cornrows?:tease:

It is really hard to tell tone in estatements. I can say for the first moment I was worried, and I kept thinking about the OP name because I thought I'd noticed you all over the boards. Which was why I had to think about the posting, like wait a minute, why would a person who knows better post something like this. Ha ha ha... For sarcasm. I did want to say that I've never seen a white chin with grey on it before, so I think you really do have something special there. Maybe we should coin the term mosaic, they use that with other animals who are two different colors. He he he. Maybe we could breed her beautiful color and missing leg with my fat chin with no tail and we could really produce something people would want. Ha ha ha. I couldn't even type that without laughing. Ha ha ha ha ha. I so needed a laugh. - Jessica
ETA OMG Sheri, that would be cool. But I have to tell you about what I saw on TV yesterday. It's a product called Wiggles (wigs for dogs). This woman Regina something I can't remember makes high end wigs for celebrities/movie stars and one day wanted to style her short haired dog. That was the birth of her new product. I'm attaching the website, if only they made these for our chins. Of course they'd have to be chewproof. Ha ha ha

http://wigglesdogwigs.com/products

Last edited:
I'll even ship the patent pending "Eyelash Chenille Fur Patterner" which each kit.
Excellent! A free waffle maker with every chin - I'll put in an advanced order please Meanie. :thumbsup:

I definitely think there's a market for triangular waffle furred chins - imagine one on the show bench - stunning!! :laughitup:

Love the last photo - what had Madam Sophie seen or what did she want to have warranted squishing herself into that position? :wacko:

Back