the new family!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I am interested to know how your cage arrangement is now that you have 19!! Having 14 here for now I am interested in everyone else's cages & arrangements!! Please do share!! I may have mine posted on here already, but I will have to look!! If not I will share with you my wonderful madness ASAP! Waiting to see!!;)

Rite now we have all types of cages.. all of them are plastic bottom cages , we have them packed with wooden levels i have one huge cage that i have divided into to.. we are saving up for ferret nations..lol

So I am interested to know how your cage arrangement is now that you have 19!! Having 14 here for now I am interested in everyone else's cages & arrangements!! Please do share!! I may have mine posted on here already, but I will have to look!! If not I will share with you my wonderful madness ASAP! Waiting to see!!;)

I think your chinchillas are beautiful! and don't listen to negative comments. Does anyone really have room for any cage? my cage takes up half my room but I don't care,I love gizmo and I'd sit in a small cramped corner if I had to to make him happy. As long as you can provide each and every chin w/ love and attention then that is all the matters. ANd you were doing a great thing by resucing some. Personally, I don't care if you have 19 or 100 chincillas, as long as they are happy then that's really all that matters! :)

I think your chinchillas are beautiful! and don't listen to negative comments. Does anyone really have room for any cage? my cage takes up half my room but I don't care,I love gizmo and I'd sit in a small cramped corner if I had to to make him happy. As long as you can provide each and every chin w/ love and attention then that is all the matters. ANd you were doing a great thing by resucing some. Personally, I don't care if you have 19 or 100 chincillas, as long as they are happy then that's really all that matters! :)

THANK YOU !!!! im glad someone else feels and understands the way things are going for us!! how many breeders do you see that let there chinchillas out for playtime everyday??....I DO.....:) so thanks gizmo for the GOOD feed back and im glad you love all the chins

The comments are not negative. They are concern.

Her posts on another forum made it *seem* as if all of her chins were from pet stores.
the happy family when we brought them home from the pet store...rip momma kahlua
She also mentioned the following, which would make one question the husbandry:
we arent getting anymore after this...its not as bad as you all think..me and my boyfriend dont live together..i only have 5 chins at my house and 5 at his house, patch(the rescue) makes 6 for him..we ONLY got him because look what he was living in..we couldnt bare to leave him like that... ... the 6 we are going get tomorrow 2 are for my boyfriend and the other 4 are for me..we are buying from a breeder ..after that we want NO MORE!! we love all of our chins they all get play time and all get individual attention and we no if we push anymore after this that wont happen anymore..so we are done after tomorrow..we dont have the room nor the time for anymore than that...i love my babies and dont want them deprived from there attention so no matter what we come across we wont get anything else. if i find one for free , ill notify rick and bring it to him..we are at the limit and we know better than to cross it so no worries
No one is trying to attack you, they are just trying to understand where your animals are coming from and trying to sort out the various information that you've given.

THANK YOU !!!! im glad someone else feels and understands the way things are going for us!! how many breeders do you see that let there chinchillas out for playtime everyday??....I DO..... so thanks gizmo for the GOOD feed back and im glad you love all the chins

Gizmo - There are things going on here that you don't understand. I've been getting pm's from several different people about it. Please don't make judgemental comments when you don't know what's going on. People are genuninely concerned about the situation here and want to know that these are not, in fact, pet store animals being bred (which I know at least 8 of them are not) and that this person can, in fact, care for the animals she has purchased because she has made comments on another forum that would seem to negate this claim. Space is a huge issue when breeding chins, especially with regards to ventilation, air flow, heating and cooling. So yes, while having one chin (and even you were concerned about living in a studio apartment) isn't that big of a deal, having multiples can be. Don't fault people for being concerned. If there weren't concerned owners/breeders, you wouldn't be getting the knowledge that you are gaining on this forum.

As for letting my chins run, I had 120 chins and I rotated chins in and out of 3 playpens every single day, all day long. Every rotation got 60 minutes of run time with wheels, toys, boxes, tubes. I learned the hard way that shared play time isn't always a good thing, when one chin gets sick and spreads it to the rest of the herd. It's also super easy to claim to be a breeder and let a handful of chins run around, it's not so easy when you have hundreds, just ask AZChins.

So far this thread has stayed pretty mild. There is nothing wrong with asking questions for clarification. I get asked questions all day long every day. As long as the thread doesn't turn into something attacking and negative, which it has not, then it's fine.

The comments are not negative. They are concern.

Her posts on another forum made it *seem* as if all of her chins were from pet stores.
the happy family when we brought them home from the pet store...rip momma kahlua
She also mentioned the following, which would make one question the husbandry:
we arent getting anymore after this...its not as bad as you all think..me and my boyfriend dont live together..i only have 5 chins at my house and 5 at his house, patch(the rescue) makes 6 for him..we ONLY got him because look what he was living in..we couldnt bare to leave him like that... ... the 6 we are going get tomorrow 2 are for my boyfriend and the other 4 are for me..we are buying from a breeder ..after that we want NO MORE!! we love all of our chins they all get play time and all get individual attention and we no if we push anymore after this that wont happen anymore..so we are done after tomorrow..we dont have the room nor the time for anymore than that...i love my babies and dont want them deprived from there attention so no matter what we come across we wont get anything else. if i find one for free , ill notify rick and bring it to him..we are at the limit and we know better than to cross it so no worries
No one is trying to attack you, they are just trying to understand where your animals are coming from and trying to sort out the various information that you've given.

the happy family we bought from the pet store is what started us with chinchillas..we had purchased the family as PETS only. it was a mom dad and 2 new born babies..both females..i was to get the mom and one baby and my boyfriend was to get the dad and the other baby and keep them seperated.after a few weeks the mom passed away for an unknown reason...recently at the beginning of sept my baby female kiwi passed away. brandon still has the father and the other female.

out of all 19 of our chinchillas here are where they ALL came from :
2 sisters
light ebony female(pet store but knew the breeder that brought them in)
standard female(pet store but new breeder that brought them in)

dad and daughter
standard male(pet store unknow background)
standard female(pet store unknown background except for DOB and parents)

brother,sister & half sister
mosiac male(breeder with pedigree)
mosiac female(breeder with pedigree)
beige female(breeder with pedigree)

mother and daughter
did not breed, we reciever her pregnant
beige female(friend , with pedigree)
tan female(friend, with pedigree)

brothers
tan male(breeder with pedigree)
white ebony male(breeder with pedigree)

tan female(breeder with pedigree)
black velvet female(breeder with pedigree)
tov white mosiac vc(breeder with pedigree)
standard female(breeder with pedigree)
mosiac male(rescue, unknown age no pedigree)

Just keep the chins happy, fed and clean. :) That's really all that matters to me. As far as playtime goes....welcome to what I spend the majority of my life doing! PLAYGROUPS! It takes a lot of energy.

But, here's the thing, I do not have a real job out in the real world - I spend every minute I have with my chins. Not many people are as insanely lucky as I am to be able to do this! I can have playtime and I can go through and be super anal about shopvaccuuming every square millimeter of the house. I can actually go in and sweep up all the poopies in the play areas after each play group. Most people do not have the ability to treat 250 chins like they are all pets...DO NOT BE LIKE ME!! You want to be able to go on vacation and have someone willing to take care of your chins. No one wants to have to do that here, it's too much work.

Keep your number of chins to a minimum. It is very easy to end up taking on way too many and ending up with serious problems. I've had to go in and clean up the messes of so many "breeders" and even just pet people because they have taken on too much and they can't keep it up. Many times all it takes is for someone in the house to lose a job or end up with an allergy, etc etc for the chins to all have to go.

Anyway, love and cherish your chinnie babies. Speaking of that...I need to go pull pans and get my butt in gear. Today is Tuesday, which will forever be CAGE CLEANING DAY!

(By the way, yes, I think that I may be slightly crazy, but in a more happy, fuzzy chin type of way...)

Gizmo - There are things going on here that you don't understand. I've been getting pm's from several different people about it. Please don't make judgemental comments when you don't know what's going on. People are genuninely concerned about the situation here and want to know that these are not, in fact, pet store animals being bred (which I know at least 8 of them are not) and that this person can, in fact, care for the animals she has purchased because she has made comments on another forum that would seem to negate this claim. Space is a huge issue when breeding chins, especially with regards to ventilation, air flow, heating and cooling. So yes, while having one chin (and even you were concerned about living in a studio apartment) isn't that big of a deal, having multiples can be. Don't fault people for being concerned. If there weren't concerned owners/breeders, you wouldn't be getting the knowledge that you are gaining on this forum.

As for letting my chins run, I had 120 chins and I rotated chins in and out of 3 playpens every single day, all day long. Every rotation got 60 minutes of run time with wheels, toys, boxes, tubes. I learned the hard way that shared play time isn't always a good thing, when one chin gets sick and spreads it to the rest of the herd. It's also super easy to claim to be a breeder and let a handful of chins run around, it's not so easy when you have hundreds, just ask AZChins.

So far this thread has stayed pretty mild. There is nothing wrong with asking questions for clarification. I get asked questions all day long every day. As long as the thread doesn't turn into something attacking and negative, which it has not, then it's fine.

to you , you feel that im not being judged in negative ways but i do, when i explain myself it gets twisted around and such i just want people to know that we have more room, i stated that we didnt because we are going to start breeding.. we have reserved space so that when we breed we will have room for babies...thats what i meant that people arent understanding..patch is the only rescue chin we have and technically we only have 2 chins from a pet store. everyone else is from a breeder..

Chinchillalover - I think you are being overly sensitive to the situation. You cannot twist direct quotes. I see quotes being put here, that you yourself said on another forum, and now you are backpedalling trying to say that isn't what you meant. It was what you meant when you typed the response, isn't it? So now people are questioning your judgment and animal husbandry. That's okay, let them. If you feel that the words you typed on another forum (that, again, are direct quotes) are false, then correct the impression now. You have the chance to explain yourself, or, you can just walk away and stop answering anything at all. Nobody can force you to answer a question. That's entirely up to you.

From a forum standpoint, as in "enforcing the rules", there has been nothing negative in this thread that needs a moderator or an administrator to step in.

I am on the other forum as well, but I read what she wrote on that forum, and people who were pulling quotes were not including the whole quote. They left out parts about how she was getting more chins and whatever else. But I feel like 19 is ALOT. I think that maybe breeding is not a good idea. Like everyone says, there are just so many chins in rescues and in pet stores. It's sad... I know that kits are super cute, but I don't know that I would want to deal with the risks of pregnancy or hand feeding. I have a real job in the outside world. I don't have the time to properly hand feed, so I will just stick to my three boys for right now. Maybe when I move into my new house, I may get more. But I think that I will just stick to letting others breed and me just buying their chins. LOL... There are just too many horror stories out there for me...

You know, it'll all be okay! We can help out chinchillalover0927 (forgive me, I don't have your name) with anything she has problems with in the future. 19 chins is doable! When I was in college I always had at least 30 in my care and I did alright...the chins are just a big part of my life as much as anything else.

The breeding thing...well, now, that takes a little more effort and attention. So many things can happen, BUT she's here. We're all just a PM or thread away to help out if something does go wrong.

My advice on breeding is to take it as slow as you can. I can't deal with a bunch of things going wrong all at once here. Mamas can have problems, babies can have problems and then even when everything goes well, you have to deal with people in finding them homes. Not everyone is a crazy lunatic wanting to buy a chin for their three year old, but there are a lot of things to consider when people are wanting to adopt a chin. It takes so much time to do it right. Basically breeding chins is hard work, and it's even harder when you do it right. It's much simpler when your only qualification for new owners is that they just have the cash to purchase the animal. I sincerely doubt that anyone here would do that!

The quotes are fine to post, but sometimes people change their minds or say things a different way. I was just imagining a thread with quotes from me! LOL :lol: I don't know why I just laughed so hard... :rolleyes:

Oh, I wasn't saying what she was doing is wrong. Just saying that it isn't for me. I don't think I could handle it at this point in my life... Well, I could since I don't have kids, but I want to have kids soon and trying to be a breeder and have babies... Hmmm, to me that sounds like way more than I want to get into. I would love to have more chins, but you all have SO many! I am not a breeder, but I only get my chins from breeders. They required me to fill out an application. And I did a TON of research before I ever got one. And that breeder told me to come here. And trust me, I am so glad to have people on here who will help. And I don't doubt her abilities. I think what she did for her rescue is awesome. That poor boy was in a bad situation.

thank you , i just am tired of people jumping down my throat about things...i got it bad on chins n friends because of me breeding even though i didnt advertise it , i kept it to myself on that site because i wanted to respect how they felt about it but then someone on this site went back and started telling them everything i was saying on this one and calling me a liar....needless to say i got banned on the other site for speaking my opinion because other people were calling me a liar...

i just want everyone to appreciate my chins thats all , i love them all very much..i joined this site so i could learn so much more about chins and become a good chin mommy :) and i feel safe knowing you all are a email away :)

yes my babies take up alot of time but i only go to school 2 days a week and maybe for like 4 or 5 hours and i have a part time job. so i have ALOT of spare time for my kids lol

also when we get into breeding(actually producing kits lol) i dont plan on being one of those breeders who just says hey give me the money and have a nice day...i will make a form for them to fill out to see if they have basic chin knowledge, i care alot about where my babies will be going.. as far as anyone on here i wouldnt make you all fill one out, i trust that if you are even on this site you are a good parent by wanting to learn more about chins.... i just want everyone to appreciate that im doing things the RITE way and not just reproducing a bunch of bad chins

Everything will be ok because I HAVE A SOLUTION!!! The cutest chins (especially the ebony/whites) should be Christmas presents to me!;)

Not just a form. Get a contract together. Something that states they must contact you in the event that they must rehome the chins. Or, that they take the chin to a nearby rescue organization....that way you can be certain that the chins won't end up going from person to person or be mistreated or end up as snake food or something equally as horrific.

When someone finds a home for any animal it is that person's responsibility to make sure that the animal is going to the right place.

I meant Lauren. I think I tried to get her to take a chin like six years ago? LOL

You probably have more chins that you know what to do with right now, chinchillalover. Just ease into that...getting to know chins takes a bit. :) I have two rescues that I brought back on Saturday, they are just barely getting used to the fact that they have to be around me. :D

Back