The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many yards of fleece should I buy to make 2 double-layer fleece liners for the FN 141? Sorry this is a bit unrelated, but I figured you guys would know. :)

I don't have a FN, but I did just buy over a yard of fleece (1 yard, 16 inches) and had TONS left, enough to make her things and still have extra. I think you would have plently with two yards, probably less than that.

Hoping to be a Member soon!

I'm looking to upgrade my 3 chinchilla cages to these Ferret Nation cages. They look so easy to clean! I only heard about these a few days ago. It's time I replaces the cages I have as they are well loved. I spend a good hour cleaning my 3 cages now. I currently have the super pet ferret homes that are 18 x 30 x 60 (5 feet). They sure are a pain to clean and the chins chew the shelves so I replace them yearly. It's hard to get relacement parts now too. I think only 1 place sells the shelves now that I can find. :-/

Things I'm looking into getting for the new cages are Steel Fleece covered Tubes (I've tried the PVC ones in the past and the chins chew the PVC), Fleece liners for the pans, and new wheels (looking at the grape sliver surfer). Replacing the shelves with wood ones (think I can make those - I saw the post here on how to make them).

If anyone has any suggestions for where to order the goodies let me know. I'm poking around for where to buy. LOVE all your photos for ideas on how to set the new cages.

Should I get the slip on liners for the 1 large pans or the ones the rest on top? I've seen both, I know ferret.com has the slip on ones (in blue only). I personally am a purple freak. :-D

ferret.com seems to have a decent price on the 182 double model for $219.99 (I need 3, OUCH on the wallet, Credit company will Love me when I order! LOL!).

Mary Ellen and the 5 chins (Chia 17, Ivory 9, Sandy 8, Candy 6, Mandy 6)

At the top of the page, under the ChH logo, are sponsors. That's a great place to start looking for the goodies you need!

Chinchillas.com has the Sliver Surfer wheel you're looking for. You can also make your own covers by sewing fleece together, it's a lot cheaper that way imo.

Are the shelves plasic in the super pet cage you have? That's not good that they are chewing them, please be careful. If they've chewed them badly enough that you have to replace them, I would think about a trip to the vet to make sure they are all alright. Making wood shelves are easy and cheap.

Also, the chin classified section has a "grand master supply list" with tons of different websites. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20384

Make sure you get kiln dried pine or another chinchilla-safe wood for the shelves. They really are easy to make. If you have trouble, there are vendors on here who sell them.

If you are keeping the plastic pans, definitely use slip-on fleece liners. If you upgrade to metal pans, you can just use fleece liners that you put on top. Lots of members upgrade to Bass pans, which can be found here: http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx

Ferret.com might be a nice place to get the cages themselves, but besides the cage and the wheel, members on here sell some great things. You can get fleece liners, hidey houses, hammocks, toys, etc for cheaper prices than pet stores. Also, you can know that you are purchasing chinchilla-safe items!

Thanks! I will definately check out the master supply list. :) I'll see what goodies I can find for my gang. :-D

Thanks for the link to the Bass metal replacement pans also. I will probably go with those instead of the plastic ones that come with the FN cage.

I saw the post on how to make your own wood shelves, so I plan on doing that. A good friend of mine is a handyman so he can cut the wood to the sizes I need I'm sure.

I'm decent with a sewing machine so I should be able to make the liners as well. should be fairly simple. Just need to find some fleece.

Think I'll order the cages around memorial day and hope for a good sale. Either way I will order 3 of the double cages. that gives me time to make the liners too.

Mary Ellen and the gang (Chia, Ivory, Sandy, Candy, Mandy)

my fn 141 just came today and in an hour or so i will go and get my chinchilla :)

Grats onxy! We"ll be needing pics!

And you"re welcome :D

thanks!!! ok i just got her. she is a standard grey and just 7 weeks old :)))

she is very social, and comes near me whenever i enter the room :)

this pic was taken this morning

559590_272833372812502_100002575258133_559786_466594415_n.jpg

So tiny!! She will need timothy hay as well as her pellets.
:)
Have fun filling up that big cage with chin goodies! It's like having a doll house to play with, lol.

There was a sale on the FN 182 cages for today only for 15% off on ferret.com! :) Anyone looking to buy a cage from them all their FN stuff is 15% off today. Nice! So I went ahead and order 3 for my gang. Boy will my Credit Card company love me! LOL

I want to go ahead and get the wood for the shelves so I have them ready and cut. Can you guys tell me the inside dimensions I'd need for cutting the wood? Is it 36 inches and 25 inches like is says for the cage description? or is it a bit shorter?

Thanks! Can't wait to get these set up, so exciting! I ordered the bass metal pans also to replace the plastic ones with. Need to find some fleece so I can start sewing the liners. Lots to do! ;-)

Mary Ellen

7 weeks seems really young, but she is adorable! You need to cover her cage with hardware cloth. She could get really hurt or stuck trying to escape!

She's sooo tiny! I would wrap hardware cloth around the cage before she gets out again!

Mary, not sure what the inside dimsensions are on a FN, but I would definitely cut the wood a few inches shorter. I made the mistake of making mine to long, and since I cut them myself, it was a pain to redo. They're all uneven anyway, but nobody notices hehe

7 weeks seems really young, but she is adorable! You need to cover her cage with hardware cloth. She could get really hurt or stuck trying to escape!

i put carton on the inside of the cage and she didnt escape now but i am afraid that she will be stressed. i will probably get hardware cloth today

ok i covered the cage and she cant escape now :)

538746_273729836056189_100002575258133_561945_1255742265_n.jpg

542919_273729519389554_100002575258133_561943_340720197_n.jpg

531329_273729302722909_100002575258133_561940_1540277390_n.jpg

i put a carton tube and she loves it :)

Hey guys, I'm upgrading to the FN 182 and was wondering if you lot would recommend using fleece covers for the shelves or making/buying wooden ones. Also, the best place to get fleece cage liners. Thanks in advance!

Latest posts

Back