The Ferret Nation Club

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey guys, I'm upgrading to the FN 182 and was wondering if you lot would recommend using fleece covers for the shelves or making/buying wooden ones. Also, the best place to get fleece cage liners. Thanks in advance!

Here's a DIY thread for making shelves: http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forum...ead.php?t=9311

I use fleece, but I simplely wrap a large peice of fleece over the pull out pan on the bottom and put a towel under it to soak up all the urine. I buy a discounted peice at walmart big enough to fit the cage bottom for like 5 dollars. People on the forums sell liners, check out the classified section or the sponsers at the top.

If you wanted to make a shelve cover for the FN, I would think two peices of fleece sewed together would work fine, like a pillow case.

I would get wooden ones for sure. Chinchillas LOVE chewing on them, and hoping around on them. To clean them, spray them with a water/vinegar mixture once a month and sand them.

If you really like the shelves in the cage, you could keep those and just get a couple of wooden shelves.

Not sure about where to get fleece cage liners though, but I would check the classifieds section and make a post there about it :)

Thanks for the advice Jess and starry! I settled on wooden shelves to replace the FN ones and I like Jess' idea of doing a towel and fleece on combo for the liner. Thanks for the help guys!

I got the 5 chinchillas their new FN cages setup over the weekend. The gang got moved in yesterday afternoon to their new homes. They are so NICE! Love the double doors on the front. These will be so much easier to clean. Here is a link to photos from my kodak gallery: http://pix.kg/p/985230587606%3A1833468917/sct
Can you tell I like purple? ;-) I sure had fun watching them check out their new digs.

nuttypetlover, wow, great job!

I cleaned the boys cages today and thought I'd share. Their fleece stuff is still in the washer, but you can get the idea.

Attachments

• cages 001.jpg
    cages 001.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 214
  • cages 004.jpg
    cages 004.jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 191
  • cages 007.jpg
    cages 007.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 174
  • cages 009.jpg
    cages 009.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 156
I got the 5 chinchillas their new FN cages setup over the weekend. The gang got moved in yesterday afternoon to their new homes. They are so NICE! Love the double doors on the front. These will be so much easier to clean. Here is a link to photos from my kodak gallery: http://pix.kg/p/985230587606%3A1833468917/sct
Can you tell I like purple? ;-) I sure had fun watching them check out their new digs.

nuttypetlover, does that purple dish have a rubber edge on the bottom? if so, i would find a way to remove the rubber, or get a different dish. your chins would be very likely to chew the rubber, and it could cause impaction.

Thanks ChinnyMom, I will remove that rubber thing on the bottom. :) It is removable so I'll take it off when I get home from work tonight.

Shooper - love the photos! I see you have a grape escape wheel also. :-D

Gizmo, Sterling and Micah's Ferret Nation Penthouses!

Yes, they have to match. What one has, the others have to have too! It's a sickness I have when it comes to these little girls! Enjoy!

Cages Side By Side!
Chin Cages May 2012 (2).jpg
Gizmo's Top!
Gizmo Cage Top 2012 (4).jpg
Gizmo's Bottom!
Gizmo Cage Bottom 2012 (3).jpg
Micah and Sterling's Top!
Micah and Sterling Cage Top 2012 (2).jpg
Micah and Sterling's Bottom!
Micah and Sterling Cage Bottom 2012 (2).jpg

OMG smhluvsmh your cages are amazing!!! I like how you used the shelf that came with the cage but added wood. Very Very nice.

ETA what are the green and red things on the front of the cages?

Thank you Lee! I only used the support. We made a tiled shelf that fit the supports and then put the surrounds for poop control! They hang out a lot on those larger shelves.

The green and red cozzies are covers for their water buddies so they can't chew them! Works great and doesn't detract from the cage appearance.

Last edited:
I love looking through all these pictures! I have a question, would a Ferret Nation 182 be too big for one chinchilla? I would love to get that one but I feel like maybe it would be too much for one little guy. My other option would be to get the Ferret Nation 181 which is the single unit, a little larger than 1/2 of the 182.

I love looking through all these pictures! I have a question, would a Ferret Nation 182 be too big for one chinchilla? I would love to get that one but I feel like maybe it would be too much for one little guy. My other option would be to get the Ferret Nation 181 which is the single unit, a little larger than 1/2 of the 182.

If you look at my cage pictures a couple of posts back, Gizmo has a FN142 all to herself! I have to say that she uses every inch of it except for the bottom pan. She only pees there but she hangs out, plays and causes mischief all over the rest of it!

i just put some shelves today on my FN cage :)

Attachments

• 524887_291888600906979_1698838824_n.jpg
    524887_291888600906979_1698838824_n.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 127
  • 556755_291888090907030_1412378901_n.jpg
    556755_291888090907030_1412378901_n.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 104
  • 538610_291887534240419_864900312_n.jpg
    538610_291887534240419_864900312_n.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 88
Last edited:
Quick question would a FN 141 be big enough for 1 chinchilla?

BTW all your cages are beautiful! Can't wait till I get a FN!

my chin seems happy with her fn141

when i took her she was living with other 3 chins in a slightly smaller cage than mine

Thought I should do an appreciation post and share how pleased I am with the new liners that I bought from Classy Chillas and Nietzsche's new chin buddy from Chin Chic!
10cnurs.jpg

I had the chin buddy done to look like a standard gray, but now every time I look at it, I think it's another chinchilla hahahaha.

ftjvyq.jpg

243i6ao.jpg

Latest posts

Back