Tazzy passed away(the dad)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
the vet seen him they say to save me money to cut his stomcch up and take ins...sry no ways cann i do thats......

I'm confused. You took him in already? And I don't understand the rest of your post. So you're not going to do the necropsy?

Really? Vets don't tell people to do DIY necropsies. I would guess the chin is past the point of doing a necropsy, decomposition would already have caused changes, especially since the chin was not stored properly since death.

They didn't take the animal to send it in for a necropsy? That's really weird!

You need to put in some punctuation in the posts, I can't tell what you were saying for sure. Just take a little extra time to make sure that we can tell what you are wanting to say. From what I got they told you to cut open a chin's stomach and to take it somewhere else. That makes no sense!

Um WTH? I have never heard of a vet telling someone to do their own necropsy. Did you tell him you had other chins in the home and were concerned for their health? I would get another opinion...Is there another vet you could call or an agriculture lab near you? They could probably tell you within 12-48 hours what the issue was...

Freezing will complicate the necropsy but they might be able to still tell if she acts in the morning. My chin was frozen prior to necropsy (I didnt know then) and they were still able to tell it was pneumonia.

So by dried up yucks on his nose do you mean he had discharge from his nose?

I would search in your area for a more competent vet and get the necropsy done. I think it's really important especially with the crusty stuff that you said was on his nose. It's important to find out what happened for the safety of your two other chins.

I would search in your area for a more competent vet and get the necropsy done. I think it's really important especially with the crusty stuff that you said was on his nose. It's important to find out what happened for the safety of your two other chins.

I agree - that sounds like a URI...

I would really get the necropsy done if you want to know if you need to worry about your surviving chins. Without the knowledge, you may get the same devestating surprise with the mom and kit. I sure hope not, though.

As an after thought...if the father had been separated from the mom and kit, could they be safe from whatever he had? I don't know how far away they were from eathother, and for how long...how long would the pop chin hide his symptoms before they finally took his life?

Last edited:
No vet is going to tell you to do that unless they're just going to culture the stomach contents. They need to open the chin to see where everything is, how it is, and what it looks like. Either your vet is retarded, yes I said that and I meant it, or something else is not right.

Your first post sounds like it's blaming the forum members for telling you to separate them, that's just wrong. No matter how upset you are.

Then you say that "there were no signs" then you say he doesn't eat chin food, only eats treats, and had recently had nasal discharge... all of those are perfectly good signs that a chin is not healthy.

Yes this vet seen him...wanted to cut open his stomach but they said to save me money to do it. I refused. Hes in the hands of the vets now but i dont think they know about chins...

I am told to wait 2 to 3 weeks for results..hopefully it wont be to late for the other chin n kit. They all look healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to say, water doesn't kill anything. The cage needs to be disinfected, and for an unknown cause I would take it into a garage or outside if it's nice enough and do a thorough scrub with 50% bleach. I know most people say 10%, but because it's a disease issue, not maintenance cleaning, and because I belong to a cham forum where a lot of those people are extremely parasite cautious, I know that a lot of diseases can withstand pure bleach and be unphased. After scrubbing you then need to soak it, either by spraying or pouring if you can't spray, leaving a wet film over all surfaces, be sure to get into cracks and corners, and let it sit for 30 minutes, because this what kills the bacteria. If it does not have time to work, it won't...

I have cage n stuff in like 50 percent bleach soaking....it wont be used a while or the stuffs. I have 2 other cages and one on way so Im good :p theres....just pray that mom and kit lives. I so miss my Taz =( like right now is his playtimes n cuddle times

Friskue I'm not trying to be rude or offensive but why is it that all of a sudden your replies make no sense and are very difficult to read.. I went back and looked at your old post about the 1 day old kit and it was night and day... Alot of the post on this thread I can't understand what your trying to say but yet on another thread you spoke clearly. Do you have two different people using your name ??? I'm just confused and wondering that's all. So sorry to hear about your baby !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back