Tazzy passed away(the dad)

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FrisqueKat

Ok I thought yall said Taz would be fine from splitting him and Jazzy up. He was fine and good yesterday/last nite...other then making noises he missed Jazzy. Just woke up and hes dead. Yesterday...I got him out for play time he was fine. Spent time with him....other then making them noises looking for Jazzy he was fine. I don't know what else to say. The kit was born yesterday a week ago. I am sorry if this makes no sense. Im in tears.

Oh Hun. I am sorry for your loss. But I do not think he passed away from being split up from Jazzy. He may have been sick and you never knew it. And if that is the case I would take your other chinchillas and his body into the vet to see what he has and get the rest tested. I would hate for you to lose more.

Separating him from his mate had nothing to do with him dying, especially that fast. What might happen is that he would gradually lose weight, have a change in his personality, become listless, etc. He did not die because you separated him. If that was true every breeder on the planet would be losing animals right and left when they shut them off from their mates to give their females a rest, and I assure you, it doesn't happen.

I would strongly recommend that you get him necropsied by your vet to be sure there is nothing contagious going on that could be happening with your remaining chins. "Healthy" chins don't generally drop dead with absolutely no sign.

I am sorry for your loss.

Should I take the kit in to or just Jazzy? I definitely do not wanna lose one more or even both of them. I did notice he wouldn't eat his chin food last night. He did eat a shreddy like it was out of style. I cleaned his cage out 3 days ago. He enjoyed his bath too during play time. I am just shocked he is gone :cry4:
He was doing well with me. He enjoyed me holding him and petting him. He winked at me and would fall asleep on my lap. He didn't want the kids or anyone else but he would come to me and wasn't aggressive to me after I got him out to clean his cage that is. I am still waiting on the cage for the kit today. Should I clean it or something?

First, I am so sorry for your unexpected loss :(

I'm not sure if you need to take in mom and kit just yet? I don't know how fast you get the results back from a necropsy, but you might want to to that first to see if it even warrants a visit to the vet with your other chins. He may have had something that only affected him, or it could have been contagious, but you won't know until you get him in to be tested to find out what killed him. Keep a close eye on mom and kit. I sure hope all is ok with them.

I'm so sorry for your painful loss.

That's awful, I'm so sorry for your loss! It's always really hard when it's not expected and there is no time to prepare yourself! I send hugs and best wishes your way! :hug2:

I am truly sorry for the loss. It almost happened to my male when he was seperated as well, and i was in a complete panic. (just for the record, my male had a heart problem that i didnt no about. And the sight of his girl and him not being able to get to her, gave him rly bad problems.)

While im not well versed in this area, i would imagin takeing Tazzy to the vet to get tested. If by chance their is something contagious, no sence in carrying the others with tazzy. Onces hes tested you should have a better idea. And if nothings wrong, you can always take the girls in anyway if you so choise to.

I'm sorry you lost your chinnie. There's a lot of different things that could have brought him down so quickly, but I have to agree with everyone else - just being separated from the female didn't do this. I separate males from females all the time and they may sulk for a day or two but they don't suffer any real ill effects.

It would be a good idea to take everything out and disinfect the cage and accessories. Without a necropsy it is hard to say if the problem was contagious or not. I'm just so sorry you lost him, that has to be a really huge shock for you.

Sorry for your loss. I would definately have a necropsy done. Your vet might be able to do it or can probably tell you where you can go. I am lucky and live right next to the state agriculture lab so I was able to get one done for $25 and got the written results within 3 days. My vet also called because we were worried about contagiousness so he was able to speak to the tech and find out more quickly what was going on. Turned out it was pnuemonia in my case and quick action allowed the other cage mates to go on medication quickly.

Also, not sure where his body is now, but freezing it hampers a necropsy. Refridgeration is better.

This sounds like perhaps he had some sort of internal issue, ie heart condition, or maybe he choked on something.

You said he wasn't eating his food - how long had that been going on? Were his poos normal?

I'm so sorry for your loss. :( Hopefully you can figure out something from the necropsy. Keep us posted..

I was on my way to bury him but i have him in freezer now to take n get tests done... how many days will it take? the mom and and baby seems fines... but I have to make sure, I dont wanna lose them too

You don't want him in the freezer, but in the fridge. If you just put him in the freezer take him out, and put him in the fridge! The freezer breaks things down, and a no no for necropsy. I am sorry for your loss.

Freezing can cause changes and damages to the cells. The fridge is a better place for sure. Sometimes a full necropsy results will take awhile because they may want to do some cultures or other tests AND they have to write up the report. If you can find a vet to do a quick gross necropsy, you could get an opinion much faster. The only problem is that a lot of times unless there is something really obvious a gross necropsy won't show anything. Sometimes the full necropsies that an agricultural lab would perform don't show anything.

If this is choke or a blockage or if he had a heart issue, a quick gross necropsy would definitely show something. What you need to worry about is that he died of something that either is bacterial or viral...something contagious or even toxic. That's why you really should clean everything you can and check your food and hay and anything else that he touched.

Taz was fed mostly on and by me treats alll the time...so it wasn't uncommon he wouldnt eat chins food(looks like rabbit pellets). He was spoiled on treats!! I shut him down on treats but once 3x a week in last 2 weeks.. Plus jazzy i i seperated from him.. He had like dried up yucks on his nose 4 days ago...but it was good 2 days laters n today theres no sign of why he died? Im taking him to vet at 7pm and see what she says. I dont think what he has is contsgious...to mom and kit...but wanna make sure. Mom(jazzy n kits) are so healthy but then again taz was.....

So don't put him in freezer? I need all helps on this please

Last edited by a moderator:
What did you use to clean his cage? You mentioned in your other thread that you were cleaning before he died. Were you cleaning near his cage? What where you cleaning with? Is there anyway he got into an area you had cleaned with something?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back