So Very disturbing...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E

EveningChin

So My friend Jenna who has a large number chinchilla and pelts them when they pass away. But this last weekend she took a chin and basically taxidermyed it with felt and put it in with one of her chins as a cuddle buddy. The chin seems happy with it, treats it like any cuddle buddy but I just can't help but think about when it was first introduced.

"Hey Frank long time no see... Frank? Frank? Whatcha lookin' at?.... Whats wrong Frank?... Did I say something?... Are you mad at me? Talk to me Frank! Hey guys I think Frank is mad at me!"

I probably didn't really phase the Chin this much but I just find it a bit disturbing that she put it in the cage! :sick:

Disclaimer:
I'm not saying pelting is bad. I'm cool with domestic pelting.

lol thats a little creepy and im sure the other chin was like hey stop being wierd

Interesting...I think I would have just sprung for a cuddle buddy! But that's just me ;)
When I was in Ireland, we went to a horse farm that, unfortunately, had an orphaned foal. One of their friend's mares had just foaled the night before and the baby was stillborn, so they took the foal, skinned it, and basically made a coat for the orphan so the mare would accept the foal as her own (from the scent of the coat) and nurse the orphaned foal. I was kind of freaked out by it at first, but it worked! I guess animals skins can be useful...but only if they're already dead.

I wonder if she's going to give the chin buddy dust baths too...
But yeah, I do think it's rather weird...

What bugs me most is that she taxidermied it herself with felt. What happens when it starts to decompose? EWWWW

Interesting...I think I would have just sprung for a cuddle buddy! But that's just me ;)
When I was in Ireland, we went to a horse farm that, unfortunately, had an orphaned foal. One of their friend's mares had just foaled the night before and the baby was stillborn, so they took the foal, skinned it, and basically made a coat for the orphan so the mare would accept the foal as her own (from the scent of the coat) and nurse the orphaned foal. I was kind of freaked out by it at first, but it worked! I guess animals skins can be useful...but only if they're already dead.

Well domesticated skinning does ensure they don't go exstint... meh!
As for skinning the foal, I'm with eroomlorac, she probably would have taken in the foal any way. My horse lost her foal to a Mountian Lion and 3 years later we took in a foal thats mother died in giving birth but my mare took her right in as if she were her own. We still had to hand feed but...

I wonder if she's going to give the chin buddy dust baths too...
But yeah, I do think it's rather weird...

She does! She apparently bathes it once a week!

What bugs me most is that she taxidermied it herself with felt. What happens when it starts to decompose? EWWWW

She pelts alot of her passed away chins. Skinned, scrapped, what have you. If done correctly its just like the furs for coats and what not. Why would it decompose?

Hah! I'm glad you took my comment in such good flavor, I meant it to be taken that way ;)

Oh, in that first paragraph it sounded different. Like she took one of her other chins. Sorry.

No problem! I just didn't want you to think that! ;)

Hah! I'm glad you took my comment in such good flavor, I meant it to be taken that way ;)

Same kinda humor I guess... I wonder how she does it though... Does she take a handfull of dust and just rub it in? Or does she roll it around in the bath? Just keeps getting more disturbing...

Maybe she sits the dust bath house in the cage and thinks it'll some how hop over? Haha.
Or...Maybe she thinks the other chin will help 'Frank' get to the dust bath hoping that he won't be mad anymore =P

Taxodermy is more than just skinning, though. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of chemicals involved, you'd honestly have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it involved the whole body not just reconstructing one from the pelt.

:hilarious: "Come on frank, a nice bath will cheer you right up!... Don'tcha wanna bath? What kind of chinchilla doesn't want a bath?... You're weird Frank but we love you any way."

Maybe they just assume he's shy and doesn't want to join the pool party?

Taxodermy is more than just skinning, though. I'm pretty sure there's a lot of chemicals involved, you'd honestly have to look it up, but I'm pretty sure it involved the whole body not just reconstructing one from the pelt.

Dunno, I'd have to ask her, her husband does do taxidermy though. Probably should have mentioned that for you sooner. Sorry.

:hilarious: "Come on frank, a nice bath will cheer you right up!... Don'tcha wanna bath? What kind of chinchilla doesn't want a bath?... You're weird Frank but we love you any way."

Hah, congrats you made me laugh. I'm terribly ticked right now (Non-forum related, won't bore you guys with it) and that did make me smile. Ugh...But now I'm getting back to being ticked.

Hah, congrats you made me laugh. I'm terribly ticked right now (Non-forum related, won't bore you guys with it) and that did make me smile. Ugh...But now I'm getting back to being ticked.

Well thats no good... Would the "Adventures of Frank' cheer you further?

Forget just a smile, that made me bust out laughing.

Back