Possibly pregnant chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I finally managed to get more pics of the kits. I put them in a small carrier and bribed them with chew sticks to let me take photos, the whole session lasted maybe two mins. They refuse to cooperate. I can't wait till my dad gets home from vacation he can get professional quality photos of the kits!

758be947.jpg

Ninja throwing his weight around. Marika had that stick first!

673c8ae4.jpg

And of course weighing in at a little over 90 grams the little chunky monkey won. He even LOOKS guilty...or arrogant.

6974482c.jpg

Snuggles kept his distance from the tug o' war. The blurry whiskers in the front belong to either Marika or Ninja. They both normally shove their noses into the camera. He is 73 grams now, at two weeks. I'm still rotating the kits. I was wondering if this is something I should continue until he is weaned or if there is another way to determine if he is okay without intervention? He is gaining steadily, at about the same rate as his siblings.

From my research, you should not have any toys that have rope on them The chins can chew it and the fiber can get stuck in their throat and get stuck. Just a tip. Your kits are so adorable. My chin Eleanor likes to scale the cage too!

Natural sisal (not treated with any oil or insecticides like the ones found in the home improvement stores) is safe to use on chinchilla toys.

Katie- actually there are several types of "rope" that are chin safe and are offered in toys by many board members. Certain ropes, such as hemp, cotton, jute, leather...anyhow, certain ropes are NOT safe for chinchillas. Other ropses such as sisal, seagrass, coconut...are commonly used and the fibers are not the same...they break apart easier.

45417b99.jpg

Ninja continues to steal things from his siblings. :neener:

Thanks for telling me that! I've been avoiding all hanging toys with rope(all that is sold around me) I will have to look and see what kind of rope is being used:)

Is it normal for baby chins to be tackling each other and boxing? They seem twice as bad since moving to a bigger cage. They are jumping on their mother too.

yes, it is normal for kits to wrestle with each other and their mother. As long as there is no biting or fur pulling, they are just playing.

I have new pictures of the kits!

DSC_0010.jpg

First up, Mira :)

DSC_0023.jpg

Marika and Snuggles

DSC_0041.jpg

DSC_0043.jpg

Marika, Snuggles and Ninja

The kits are doing great! I weighed Snuggles tonight and he is 94 grams. His siblings are about 105 grams. He caught up to them, and is nursing with them now.

This is probably a stupid question, but it wouldn't be possible for Mira to be pregnant from Moshi (the young male she came in with)? I think he is closer to 4-6 months than the 2-3 they quoted me when I brought him home. They were separated 12 hours before she gave birth. I've been reading about breed backs and chins carrying a second pregnancy while nursing kits. I think I'm just being paranoid.

No, it's not impossible...so you may want to have her on pregnancy watch for 111days. Sad as it is, males can impregnant that early and females can become pregnant shortly before/after giving birth.

Thank you for the information. I'll defiantly keep an eye on her. I hope she isn't. I don't want her to be burnt out on another pregnancy. If spaying was safe I would go with that option, even if it sounds a bit cruel. I fail to understand how people can throw two random chinchillas together to make babies for enjoyment. I love the kits, but never would have wished for them. It's so hard on Mira, at least it seems like it is. She wants out of the cage every time I open it.

No, it IS hard on them...especially the larger litters. I've got a mother with triplets on right now...she too wants out every time I come to the door. I will be sending non-pregnant vibes your way...as breedbacks are especially hard and after a litter of triplets...well, she'd be in rough shape to put it nicely. I know breeders that will give a female a year long break when she's had triplets. Triplets and anything larger litter wise is very stressful mentally and very taxing physically on a mother chinchilla. That all said, it's not terribly likely but it IS possible so prepare for worst ALWAYS! It's not being paranoid, it's being smart ;)

Oh boy! The kits are getting bad! I was playing with them tonight inside the cage. Next thing I know Ninja is sitting in my lap! My dad was laughing hysterically. He watched Ninja climb the five inches to the bottom of the door frame, balance on the ledge, and jump into my lap. Their cage is on the floor, so I was sitting when playing with them. I think I chose his name right!

Back