Possibly pregnant chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Likely when the other two come in to feed they are hungry and trying to push the competition out of the way. Yes, they can do lots of damage to each other - had it happen here before. My little guy lost part of his lip and nearly lost his eye as well. When I rotate I usually have bullying issues so it tends to be the two bigger ones out and the little one goes alone then bigger ones in little one out. Yes every two hours.

Kits likely won't dust bathe for a while - first few times you stick it in there they won't know what to do - might be scared or curious. Mine usually start dusting around 6 weeks.

Do baby chinchillas teethe? I know they are born with a full set of teeth. The kits have been nipping my fingers hard the past couple of days. Ninja is the biggest culprit. He nips and won't let go. They just seem to be exploring? If those little teeth hurt that much, poor Mira!

Pictures!:

1bdaec7a.jpg

Ninja and Marika. Marika imitates her brother quite frequently.

5a8dcdeb.jpg

Ninja. He escaped the carrier he was in today while I was switching the kits out. He made it about three feet before I caught him! He is a wild little thing!

71857467.jpg

Snuggles being the little sweetie he is :)

So excited! Mira's Chinchilla Townhome is shipping out from quality cages tomorrow! It's the baby safe version. They are going to love it! It's so much bigger than the cage they are in now. More room to play! No shelves of course, or a wheel. I actually spent the money I was going to buy a wheel with on toys instead :p I won't need any wheels for another six months ;)

A quick tip here. You will need to install at least one shelf that goes from front to back or the cage will try to fold all by itself.

Thanks! I didn't even think about that! And I already have a chinchilla Townhome for my boys. That's pretty bad! Would it be better to put the shelf up high, or low? I dont want the kits to be able to hurt themselves.

I would put it in the middle. The top and bottom of the cage will help the sides on those ends. It is the middle where it will try to fold. If you have enough shelves, you can totally block off the top 1/2 of the cage.

Thanks again for the info :) I owe you guys so much! I'd be so lost with Mira and the kits without your help! I would never have bred Mira, or wished her to be pregnant, but I am glad for the kits. I'm still getting used to the rotating schedule though! My mom doesn't know it yet, but when she is back from vacation she gets to help me ;).

I've been reading up on backyard breeders, and I'm a concerned about Mira and the kits health, and even little Moshi. I am Mira and Moshi's fourth home that I know of. I tried to get information on them, but got disgusted and fed up upon finding out people just kept selling Mira and Moshi on hoobly and craigslist. I know of at least four homes, they could have had more. I doubt that Mira came from any sort of decent or ethical breeder. I wouldn't think a breeder would rehome a chin with the possibility she was pregnant. She went through at least three homes while pregnant. I mean I only owned her 12 hours before she gave birth :/

Sorry to rant, I really shouldn't be reading threads on health problems. I'm just worried Mira, Moshi or the kits may get health problems young. The diseases I read about scare me. I don't have the same fears with my first two boys, they came from an excellent breeder.

Renee,

I don't have chins, but I do take in other people's unwanted hedgehogs. I learned ages ago to not worry about the what ifs and to just concentrate on the now. Otherwise you will drive yourself nuts. Just know in your heart that even if a problem arises in the future, that you will approach it and deal with it as best as you can. Know that the life you are giving them from the moment you took them in is better than that they had before.

Even if their lives end up being shorter due to crappy breeding, they will have excellent lives. They are safe, they are well cared for, and they are loved. All items that they deserve.

Now, keep taking pictures. As I said I don't have chins, but I really love all of these pictures and reading about your experiences with them.

They do sort of "teethe" or I like to call it "put all the things in my mouth to see if they can be eats!" phase. I tend to squeak when they bite too hard like a littermate would so they learn that's enough. Seems to work well enough. Little nipping comes with the territory though, i.e. rodents lol.

The kits are 8 days old today, and getting quite big. My mom is on vacation for two weeks ( a cruise, lucky her!) and could not believe how big they had gotten since she left when they were three days old! I sent her a text with a movie of Ninja.

e6b6f332.jpg

Here is the finger biter and all around rotten boy, Ninja.

249c1534.jpg

And Snuggles. He has gained 9 grams in the past three days since I started rotating the kits. He looks so much better now that he is gaining weight!

c5e358ce.jpg

And last, but not least, Marika! She is getting as bad as escaping as Ninja. I was taking pictures of the kits as I was rotating them, and suddenly felt something on my leg! I didn't realize I had not shut the carrier all the way. She pushed her way out. Marika was having a grand old time!

Rotten little monsters know they can get away with it because of their cuteness :p

I love them! Thanks so much for all the pics and stories. My crazy baby chin Jack nearly got pinched to death as he tried escaping through the hinge part of the large dog airline carrier door they went in while I cleaned their cage. Nothing happened to him because I checked and was careful, but just wanted to warn you.

I actually use a small animal zip carrier. I just forgot the zip part :p

b77f8126.jpg

I caught Ninja today being a little brat. He kept climbing on top of Mira and kept pulling her ears! Then Marika began to pull on her other ear at the same. Poor girl :p

Is it okay for kits to chew on wooden hanging toys? I ordered some and they came today. Kits ripped into them!

4e75848d.jpg

Thanks for the info :) I don't think the toys I ordered are going to last very long between three kits, Mira, and Moshi (my demolition derby chin!) With my boys Terrance and Phillip hanging chew toys last weeks ( chew sticks don't though). Not with the rescues :p

Mine will ignore the toys for months and then all of a sudden attack them with a vengeance. This might last a few weeks or so and then it's back to attacking the toys.

Great pics! Thanks for sharing. I love the piggy back pic.

Back