Possibly pregnant chin?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say that you are right. They are so adorable. =)

Yes, the weight gain is good. =) Congrats on your babies, they look fabulous!

Is it still safe for mom to have chew sticks around the kits? It's probably a stupid question, but I just have this mental of a baby poking an eye out with a stick. I'm probably being way to paranoid! And, can mom have an occasional treat? I wasn't sure. I gave her a rose-hip her first night home before I knew she was pregnant, but she has had none since. Thanks everyone! Happy the sexes were right! I was really hoping the standard had been a girl though, I wanted to keep him ;). Now I will have a matching mother/daughter pair!

haha yes. The chew sticks are fine. The babies will probably try chewing on them soon enough. And mom can definitely have an occasional treat. As you know, the babies just don't need any. I might have missed it. Are you feeding mom alfalfa? She may need the extra calcium since she may have had other litters prior to coming to you.

Aww. =) You're better than I am. I would keep them all. lol

I'll pick up some alfalfa tomorrow. I have not been feeding it to her. Should this be free fed, or limited? I was actually talking with the breeder I got my first two boys from and she mentioned something I had not considered. She wondered if Mira had not been bred back after a previous litter, And the young male that came with her isn't her son. The timing would fit :/. Maybe it's better if I don't get this persons contact info. I don't think I would be nice.

I think you should try to contact the other person... and hold your tongue at least until you get the info you need. It would be good to know if that is her son or not. He could display traits you need to know about in the other kits. Also if possible you need to know if he's the father. Maybe they weren't together long enough for these kits to be his and the kits are from another male? I think these would be good things to know. Then once you get info, I say go for it and chew them out... if you desire.

It isn't possible for him to be the dad. I thought I had mentioned his age. I'm sorry I forgot. He is only 2-3 months old. He was either a newborn or not even born yet when she got pregnant. I wonder if his first owner will even talk to me? I hope she doesn't demand the chins back because the person she sold them too gave them to me. I mean she already sold them...I'm just a little concerned. I would refuse her though. Momma and kits are not going anywhere and neither is the little male ( Moshi).

You can free feed it. Some people only feed alfalfa hay to their chins. Oops, sorry. I missed that.

If you do contact the person they can demand all they want. The chins are yours. End of story. She sold them and whatever happens to them after that she has no control over. Whether you get information or not, at least you know that they have a better chance now at a happy/healthy life and you're taking good care of them. It is good that the babies weren't born before.

Meet Marika!

d0f0d043.jpg

319f1708.jpg

The lone girl in a litter of three. I'm totally in love. So cute! So fluffy! She is two days old today. She will be staying with me as cagemate for Mira. I'll get some pictures of the boys :)

c12245e2.jpg

New pic of the kits :)

I'm worried. The smallest kit lost 1g between last night and this morning. He has been steadily gaining weight though. He also seems to be nursing all the time. Is 1g weight loss something to worry about at this point? I'll be ready to step in and hand feed if needed.

They are super cute! I would want to snuggle them all! Look at their tiny little ears. Too sweet. I can't answer the weight question as I have never bred chins or had that young of chins here. I hope they keep eating and stay healthy for you.

From what I know they can sometimes lose a gram. If he has been gaining I would just watch that he doesn't lose any more. If he does or stops gaining I would definitely hand feed him a little. If he is nursing though he should be okay.

They are so freaking cute. Can I have the standard? =)

Thanks for the info. lol if you're located in MD or close, sure ;) But I'm planning on adopting him and his brother out as a pair :p

Not quite and I've really got my hands full already. lol Note to self: You can't have them all.

I weighed the little white male again this evening. He weighs 47 grams. According to the scale he didn't gain any weight today. Each of his siblings gained two grams. He appears to be nursing from what I saw when I was watching them. His siblings do not bully him. Can a baby go a day without gaining weight?

I was going to start giving them the dry mixture of pellets/ baby oatmeal and dried goats milk. I had a question about which kind of powdered milk to use though. Would I use the type for human consumption or the type sold in feed stores as a replacement for mothers milk?

I would need a breeder to answer, but I am thinking maybe you need to pull the bigger babies for a short while so the little one can get more milk

Yes, I've seen them not gain a few days. Just make sure he isn't losing weight.

You wouldn't use regular powdered milk at all. Just dried goats milk that people can consume. Meyenberg is the only brand that I am aware of. You can usually get it at a grocery store. Do you have Shop Rite? I know they carry it in CT and New Jersey...

I actually ordered a can of meyenburg online. I couldn't find it anywhere locally. I've checked every grocery store within my town, they all looked at me like I was crazy when I asked :p I'm going to check one more grocery store about 45 mins from me. I believe it's a Wegmans. Thanks for the help I'll keep an eye on him. I think Im just worrying to much. I started reading the horror stories of what could go wrong, I think I scared myself that something is going to go wrong. Mira seems to be a very attentive mother. I don't think I could ever handle breeding chins. I don't know how you breeders do it! I'm checking the kits at least four times a day if not more.

Just so you know, I'm not a breeder. I don't know how they do it either.

I'm not surprised about the milk, I couldn't find it at any other store.

I can't tell you not to worry but I am sure they will be fine. =) You aren't nearly as bad as the last person I tried to help with their first litter; she was driving me nuts. lol I'm glad that Mira is a good mom and you're doing a good job.

Latest posts

Back