My new girls Trixie and Pixie

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to share a small success I have had. The girls both took dustbaths easily tonight. Last Monday Pixie went in easily but Trixie completely snubbed the dustbath. Now having been freshly dusted they are popcorning around their cage. Baby chins are so crazy. On another note they were also weighed today. Pixie is up to 325 grams and Trixie is up to 300 grams. Who knows, maybe they'll get as big as their grandma.

Here are some more pictures of the girls who weighed in yesterday at Pixie 330 grams and Trixie 294 grams.

So sweet, so innocent....
IMG_0762-2.jpg

Until we zoom out
IMG_0763.jpg

Pixie is the one in front and Trixie is the one in back... or I think I have it right. Silly identical girls.

And here they are this morning looking sweet again.
IMG_0764.jpg

If you look closely you'll see Trixie's tail... she's squished in the tube behind Pixie. Can you tell Pixie isn't a morning kinda gal?

The girls really are super sweet. If I open the doors to the cage they are both out and climbing all over me. Well, in the evenings anyway. Right now I'd probably get the chinnie stink eye.

I don't know how you guys do it. I tried to get some more cute pictures... but it didn't work. The girls went from planning escape to trying to eat the camera. Hard to take a picture when their little nose is touching the lense. Silly girls.

Here's the one I managed to get...

IMG_0765.jpg

As you can see... I'm using the bottom level for storage currently.

As of today I got a 352 gram weight for Pixie and 310 grams for Trixie. They are both making steady gains. Was worried they'd drop since I've started switching them over to Oxbow.

I think I ma have to 'visit' and just 'hold' them *cough* put them In my bag *cough* and leave quickly lol!

They are so darn cute!! And I love thier cage interior <3

I love babies :))! They are getting so big since the first pics you posted. Love that pic with them in the tube.

I am so happy I went with it and got them. I love them so much. They are crazy though, as soon as I open the doors they're both climbing all over me. Last night after their dustbath they were popcorning all over the place and one of them actually tried to take a dustbath on top of the pitched roof of the dustbath house. Poor silly thing fell off. That zoomed out picture is totally what I find every morning. These girls are messy. As far as the interior goes... not sure what I'm going to do when I open up the bottom level. I might have to buy more stuff! I mean... everything has got to match right?! Christine over at Twilight Chinchillas made the awesome pink and stars hay box. I told her that I had to have a box to match my fleece set from Tanya.

Last edited:
My babies are getting big. Tonight Pixie is 364 and Trixie is 324. I am so happy they're gaining so well when moving to the Oxbow. They will soon be on 100% Oxbow.

I was playing with lighting and managed to catch a few cute ones of the girls... as well as several with blurs.

Pixie (I think) inspecting the camera
IMG_0777.jpg

Trixie being camera shy
IMG_0772.jpg

Trixie (Maybe?) it's super cute though, even with the light glare
IMG_0773.jpg

Pixie (?) in the tube
IMG_0767.jpg

Pixie escaping the tube...
IMG_0768.jpg

A few more...

Grumpy Pixie because I foiled her escape
IMG_0770.jpg

A no flash of... one of the girls?
IMG_0775.jpg

Does this angle make me look fat?
IMG_0774.jpg

I thought I was getting better at telling them apart but as they are gaining weight it's becoming harder. Trixie use to have a slimmer more mousey face and now she's filling out. Pixie is still significantly larger gram wise so I can tell when I pick them up. Personality also sometimes gives them away. Trixie is more shy/hesitant and Pixie about runs out of the door as soon as you open it. Pixie is also always first to the toys/food dish/etc. as soon as I replace it. I've never seen her bully Trixie but she's definitely quicker/more eager. I think Trixie is just more timid.

Last edited:
The girls are continuing to put on the grams. I think I'll be a little sad when they're no longer babies. Pixie is 386 now and Trixie is 334. Not sure why there's such a gap between them, my only guess is Trixie is more active. Both of them are good eaters and they have plenty of access to pellets and hay.

On another note... if anyone wants to see a totally dorky video of the girls... I posted one on youtube. I hate the way I sound in it, but the girls are cute in it. Ignore my chatter.

You can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drq0tJmWLCA

So... I decided not to wait any longer and opened up the second level of the Ferret Nation for the girls. Nearly as soon as I got them back in the cage (had them in a carrier while I rearranged) they managed to escape the bottom level. Good thing I'd used the top when I first got them instead of the bottom. Having the whole cage does make it so much easier to clean. It's much easier to confine them to one section of the cage while I clean the other than it is to get them both in a carrier or keep them from escaping while I clean around them. They are so quick and crafty. As they are adjusting to me and to their environment they are getting more daring, especially Pixie.

Last night Pixie weighed 392 and Trixie weighed 348. I am going to be monitoring their weights closely to make sure the added space doesn't make them lose weight. If they start dropping I'll confine them to one level again however they kept jumping on each other and I was seeing some hogging of hay and food. This way with two levels I have a water bottle, food dish, and hay box on each level. I have also separated them temporarily last night so I could make sure both got some supplement.

Here are a few pictures I've taken of the girls...

Hmm.. what's up here?
IMG_0839.jpg

I'm hiding, you can't see me...
IMG_0794.jpg

Omg.. what *is* that?!
IMG_0816.jpg

The girls turned 3 months old on Monday and are getting so big! Pixie is now 444 grams and Trixie is 392 grams. Odd how Trixie trails her sister by about 50 grams. Not sure why... there are two food dishes, two water bottles, and two hay boxes so both have plenty of access. I think I may start giving them supplement separately so that I make sure Trixie is getting her fair share. Their personalities are changing and they are starting to look a bit different as well. I'm finally getting better able to tell them apart!

Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure

Aren't I cute? - Trixie

IMG_0868.jpg

Whatcha lookin' at? - Pixie

IMG_0866.jpg

Grumpy Butts - Trixie is the one with her ears all the way down

IMG_0880.jpg

Om nom nom - Trixie's turn

IMG_0888.jpg

Too yummy to take turns!

IMG_0889.jpg

I also posted a youtube video with some pictures of the girls to celebrate their first month with me. It can be viewed here: http://youtu.be/36JOpXwr344

I love the picture of them sharing the food! What cuties!

I havn't read the begining of the thread, but I'm guessing they're sisters?

Yep Jess, they're sisters. They have another sister from the litter but she is living in another home. Pixie and Trixie were just so sweet I couldn't take home just one of them!

Wow smhluvsmh! I feel better now about my girls' differences. Maybe Trixie is just going to be a naturally smaller chinchilla. I just keep worrying somehow that Pixie is hogging the food but I watch them and she never seems to bully Trixie. Trixie is the crazier one though, she's the one who dusts outside the bath and popcorns after dusting.

Latest posts

Back