Just curious, what the stupidest thing you've heard?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chinchilla breeders have very soft hands from all the oil in the fur, because that's what makes chinchillas so soft, the oil in their fur.

Honestly I don't think the lady had ever seen a chinchilla. She just likes to talk.

I haven't been into chins that long, but I've already heard a very 'stupid' comment. I was looking at chinchillas in Petsmart and this woman and her kid saw me. When I walked away to look at what they had for them I heard the mom point to the chins saying '' Look dear..these are called chin..chillas.. they're so cute! I want this. '' I just had to face-palm and walk away.

I went and got my chin a few days after, then later found out the day after I bought my girl the other chinchilla was sold. I SO hope it didn't go to that lady. (Who obviously has no idea what she's getting herself into..lol)

when i got my chin from craigslist the guy told me to
give her dandylion drops every day and raisins everyday
give her a apple once a week
He also gave her a spoonfull of yogert or icecream
She LOVES her ball and will play for 30mins at a time
she is trained-he takes her out at 6 everyday and watches the news as she plays and at 7 she goes back to her cage without being told.
She never chews on anything so its ok to let her play unsupervised.
he bedding had to be hay. for 2 reasons. one its the best type of bedding and two she can eat it too. ( she was eatting hay she had peed on )

My personal favorite...

"They are like gremlins. Don't get them wet, not even a drip from the water bottle or bad things happen."

(At least that ones not harmful to chins...:rolleyes:)

This I heard at a per store a few months ago: "Instead of a hamster, how about getting your son a chinchilla instead? They are the perfect pets for young children"and by young this kid was not even in Kindergarten yet.

I felt compelled to step in here and set the mom and kid on the right path about chins. After she found out all the care and difficulty that goes into them, she got her son a fish. I think it was the monetary cost that I gave her for all I have spent on my chins, including the vet bills for Herby that did it..

Reading all the ridiculous things pet stores say, I'm glad my two local PetCos don't sell chinchillas because the cages they have are too small, they know they will get stressed, and some of the employees even admitted the store owners don't agree with the company's care sheets.

The stupidest thing I see pretty much everywhere is the unnecessary breeding of chinchillas (or TBH any other animal). That topic alone can get me pretty irritated, haha.

My personal favorite...

"They are like gremlins. Don't get them wet, not even a drip from the water bottle or bad things happen."

(At least that ones not harmful to chins...:rolleyes:)

Well shoot maybe that is what is wrong with my breeding program I keep squirting them with water and...no new chinchillas......:rofl:

Unfortunately the stupid things I hear about chins don't come from a pet store--they are usually heard here by flat out dumb owners:
Isn't it cruelty to animals to put chins in a show?
I let my chin have free roam of the house
I do home amputations
The vet says it's a broken leg but we aren't doing anything for it, he says it will heal on its own
YES I have separated my male and female chin

And the by far stupidest thing I have ever heard (yes my chin forum friends I HAD to throw this out there) There is no such thing as a red chin and there never will be. LOL Some of us have such high hopes for that last one

Alex to Vet: " Do you carry critical care?" ( I had a chin that was going to need handfeeding along with the meds )

Vet to Alex: " I suggest buying some human baby food vegetables and giving it to her."

Note: I love my vet. And I ignored the advice. I called another vet across town and they allowed me to come in and buy CC without being seen.
On my last visit to the vet he mentioned they had CC. :thumbsup:

My vet now understands chins. Took him a couple years. He's great with basics. If I need serious help then I head across town.

Last edited:
Unfortunately the stupid things I hear about chins don't come from a pet store--they are usually heard here by flat out dumb owners

SO TRUE!

I do home amputations
Seriously? Then lets tie you down and saw off your leg. That is just sick. I hope whoever said this no longer has animals or children.

And the by far stupidest thing I have ever heard (yes my chin forum friends I HAD to throw this out there) There is no such thing as a red chin and there never will be. LOL Some of us have such high hopes for that last one

I missed this one, what is it refering to, can I get a thread link?

Chintastic--it's no secret that I have longed for a red chin and have driven my breeder friends crazy repeatedly by asking for one and asking why one won't exist! And they tell me there are no such things therefore I say that is stupid lol!

Chintastic--it's no secret that I have longed for a red chin and have driven my breeder friends crazy repeatedly by asking for one and asking why one won't exist! And they tell me there are no such things therefore I say that is stupid lol!

I found this online for you...

Attachments

• chinchillared.jpg
    chinchillared.jpg
    16.4 KB · Views: 51
Chinchillas are just like rabbits and need lots of vegetables.
Also, they are all hypoglycemic so they need raisins to keep their blood sugar up...

LOL, I had not heard about the red chin thing. You could call it Ruby or something...interesting.

Anyway I heard this today at the shelter I volunteer at, I was talking to my friend who works there. They recently had a surrender chin and I was asking about it, what they knew and all that good stuff when I heard the strangest thing. The guy who brought it in was keeping it in a tank, but the reason is one that shocked me. Supposedly you cant keep them in wire cages because it gets too drafty and they can rip off limbs in the wire openings, mine should all be long dead by now.

Back