Just curious, what the stupidest thing you've heard?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Takuraktty

I'm just curious what are some of the stupidest things you've heard about chins? This is just for fun, not to be take to seriously.

In a pet store I was told that treats can make up to 40% of your chins diet, and can be put right into their food bowl.:hilarious:

Someone else said that chins don't need pellets and can be fed fresh or even frozen veggies, like lettuce, and nothing else.

Finally I remember hearing that chins should be kept in heard, you can have three males and three females all in one cage, and get no pregnancies unless its in the spring, THATS when females go into heat.

I'm not a breader, I just have my unaltered male and female together so they can have babies.

Ya know...I have heard sooo much stupid misinformation from people lately it is hard to pick the dumbest but there are a few people on here that are "breeders" or want to be breeders that I could directly quote....

They are brother and sister, so they know better than to breed with each other.

No lie - from an experienced breeder.

Ya know...I have heard sooo much stupid misinformation from people lately it is hard to pick the dumbest but there are a few people on here that are "breeders" or want to be breeders that I could directly quote....

I mean in general not from people on here...

And I know one of the people your referring to has to be me, and I agree...

actually you weren't who I was thinking of at that moment.....

I also heard when I got my first chinchilla that they have no vocal cords and are silent...I was very shocked when Harm barked through his very first night in my room....

Ahh, yay ^^

and wow...brother and sister know better haha

Just thought of another thing, not really stupid but just annoying to me. I was at a pet store, getting dog food and looked at the chins (as usual). One kid asked his mother if he could have one, the mom looked at the chins and referred to them as stinking disgusting rodents....:banghead:

Last edited:
The chinchilla book that came with my craigslist chin said that chins MUST have a daily diet of fresh fruits and veggies. No wonder the girl who used to have Pudgey fed her all that stuff. It broke my heart to tell her, she was really upset that she'd been feeding Pudge all the wrong crap for years.

"Chins are just like hamsters"

"Babies can leave their mom as soon as you see them pick up a pellet and munch on it"

That one is from a BYB...I took his 4 week old chin that he was selling and hand fed it until it was an appropriate age. I tried to buy the mom, but he was not having that...apparently she was a cash cow.:wacko:

ETA: "They can't breed if I'm watching them and supervising their playtime!"

Last edited:
"That big plastic ball is his favourite toy, he loves his exercise in there!"...oh, and another one....
"My last chin committed suicide when he jumped off my tall book case....he must have been unhappy."
WOW

That's so wierd, i had a dream that my chin's tail fell off last night, haha...

"If your lucky, they can live up to 6 years"

Back