Huge 104 g Lowe Recessive White baby born 11/11/11

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, I hope she will continue to grow at a fast rate and become a big beautiful girl. Perhaps I'll show her at the CA Spring Field Day... or at least bring her to get some comments and see how she looks then under the lights. :)

Yep, Kara, I have Chardonnay. :)

I just put two more rw/c females in breeding with RW males and have some nice standard females in with one RW male as well so hopefully I will get some more RWs and some nice rw/carriers to work with. I think the color is very pretty and I hope that I can see some marked improvements in this mutation after a couple generations with my current breeding plans... at this point, I think size, density and fur strength are most in need of improvement.

Very nice girl, Sumiko! I've been hearing from several people that believe the Lowe recessive whites are the same recessive gene as the GoldBaar. I don't know if anyone is currently testing this theory. It would be interesting to know and simple to prove. Simply mate a Lowe white with a GoldBaar and if they produce a mutation color they are the same recessive gene, if they produce a standard double carrier they are not the same recessive gene. I have no personal knowledge of either of these recessives, but would be interested to know if they really are the same or different and if anyone on here is working with both recessives and trying to prove or dis-prove the theory that they are the same.

I have heard that someone with Lowe RWs and goldbars did that and ended up with standard-colored offspring. Not sure if it's true or who actually did it though... I, too, think that they are probably the same mutation, but were given different names by each respective breeder who was working with them... If I knew of anyone selling a "Goldbar", I'd be willing to test the theory...

...and post the results of the mating in The Breeder.

Last edited:
I just contacted someone who knows the person who crossed a Goldbar with a lowe Recessive White and they told me only standard offspring were produced...

Also, this person who has worked with them says they do not look alike in person. The Goldbar with has a more "toasted Marshallow look" while the recessive white is a softer, more uniform color.

Last edited:
Here are the photos I took of the four chins at the MCBA Shindig this past August. Two are Lowe Recessive Whites bred by Pam Snider of Alderbrook Chinchillas. One is a Goldbar bred by Paul K whose lines go back to Serena's at Chinchilla Park Place. The other is a Goldbar bred by Jim Ritterspach directly out of Bob and June Baar's lines.

goldwhite.jpg

goldwhite2.jpg

Pretty much everyone at the Shindig thought they were the same. The attendees were experienced judges, long time breeders, and heavily involved enthusiasts. There were no fly-by-night breaders there.

Statistically, it is very improbable - after having gone over 40 years without a new color mutation - for the next two to pop up within a couple years of each other, in roughly the same geographical area (western north america), and look this similar in appearance. Again, statistically, it is more likely it is the same mutation that was carried for several generations, eventually surfacing on two different ranches, and the (slight) difference in appearance (for those that can pick it out) accounted for by the different developmental goals of those ranches.

However... At the shindig, Jim said the goldbars are born looking like pink whites and later darken. Pam has said the LRWs are born with a golden hue and later lighten up. Pam also said the LRWs produced more males than females, and Paul has said he had an overabundance of goldbar females and not enough males. So maybe the statistics lie in this case, and it's just coincidence they look the same.

Last edited:
Interesting. All of them look very white, were they darker in person? The ones I saw at Bob's were a golden yellow. When we saw them later at the show they couldn't compete in the whites or the beiges, they were an odd color.

Sumiko, the Shindig is a seminar, not a show. This year's topic was simply an exhibition of the rare mutations - curlies and angoras were also there. There wasn't any judging.

Tara - my flash did go off so yea, they are washed out a bit. Without the flash, you can see the gold in them (all four of them). I think they're right between a pink white and a homo beige in color, not quite one or the other.

Last edited:
I just wanted to share a picture I took of Mira today. I put her into breeding in December and she is currently pregnant. I hope to get some very nice carriers from her as she was bred to a very nice La Paloma standard who took RCC at Nationals. I'm working on trying to get some more density and fur strength in this mutation!

She's such a silly girl - she always stands up like a little bunny as can be seen in this picture. Haha.

Attachments

• DSC_0677-1.jpg
    DSC_0677-1.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 61
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back