Huge 104 g Lowe Recessive White baby born 11/11/11

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sumiko, I was just thinking about kit weights and looking at the averages for the kits born here. Do you realize that your kit was twice the weight as the average kit at birth? That's just crazy to think about it that way...your girlie pushed out a kit that was twice the weight as average!

I don't know what is up with the Recessive White's, but the few kits I have had born here were large as well. 67+ grams...

A recessive white male I had born in March was 68g at birth and he is now unfortunately only a little over 500g. I am going to try and use him with a few very large standard females I have that consistently produced kits in the low 50g range (with different sires). My hope in using these large girls is to produce some carriers that grow out larger, but hopefully bring down the birth weights to a more normal range. Like you mentioned, this could potentially be a major issue as we continue to work on this mutation, if not corrected. 104 grams is beyond huge!!! Kudos to the Dam...

I am very interested to see how this girl grows out, definitely keep us up to date.

You know, while in this case it is probably genetic considering others' responses regarding this particular mutation. However, I've heard from old time ranchers that when they increased the protein in their feed, they had big kits. Really big kits, kits too large to pass on females that'd had several litters prior to the switch. Kits that were "not normal" aside from being huge at birth...it's interesting genetics and environment!

I'd be most interested to see how this kit grows out. While I never intend to work with this mutation (plain ol' beiges are good enough for me) I find it fascinating.

IMG_2306.jpg

No flash

IMG_2308.jpg

W/flash

8 days old and 134 grams. So far, yes, she's lookin' scruffy but nursing like a piggy!

I will get pictures in better light. I'm just still trying to catch up on chin chores, e-mails and phone calls after a week-long work conference! I hate being away from my chins that long. I didn't get to see this monster grow this past week... and boy does she already look bigger!

She just looks so big to me. And most of my kits gain 2-3 g/day in the first week, if that, because sometimes they'll initially lose the first day or two. I'd say my average first week kit gain is more like 15-20 g. But this is a single kit and momma is a good milker, apparently.

It's 21.3 grams average here for newborn weight gain the first week. (I kept track for years and years to figure it out!)

Sometimes you end up with a kit that gains a lot more than 20 grams. 30 grams is good for a kit even a single kit. Mama is a milk cow... :D

Looking back, I see that mine usually gain 20 - 25 grams in the first week. 30 grams is pretty darn good. Keep us posted on how this little moose grows.

She's so pretty. Maybe she wants a long term holiday to the UK? free bed and board, all you can eat Timothy hay and Beaphar Care + ;-)

She is stunning! Give her lots of scritches and kisses from me.

Latest posts

Back