Huge 104 g Lowe Recessive White baby born 11/11/11

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aznmexaggie

Chinchilla Chateau
Breeders: What is the largest kit you've ever had born on your ranch?

On Friday night my Lowe Recessive White carrier female, Chardonnay, gave birth to CCHT A-50, a Lowe Recessive White female. Now to say I was shocked is an understatement... this kit looked like a 2-3 week old baby! I put her on the scale. 104 grams! "No, that can't be possible. I've never heard of such a thing!" I tared it and weighed her two more times and yep, 104 g. This enormous baby is the largest I've ever had.

Momma is doing well but wow, am I surprised she delivered that baby without any problems and baby girl came out without any injuries!

Without any further audieu, Mira:

Attachments

• Photo1441.jpg
    Photo1441.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 339
I don't know...hmmm, maybe somewhere in the 80s for the largest kit here. 104 grams is really huge! You're sure you just didn't miss the kit for awhile? :p

I'm so glad to hear that her mama got her out without a problem. That's such a ginormous baby that I can barely believe she was able to deliver her!

Chardonnay's previous litters all had big kits too - both her carriers and LRWs were in the 70 and 80 g range. But if I did miss this baby, she would only have been born a day prior since I cleaned cages the day before that and there was no baby then!

Congrats! She is adorable and huge. My biggest one was born on 11/04 at 70 grs. He is up to 100 grs as of today. I already had a name for him if he was born on 11/11 "Triple 11".

There's no way that you missed that kit for a week to ten days!

I am curious about how she is going to grow. By the time she's a month old she might just be about as big as a normal month old kit. I've noticed that the largest kits often don't go on to being very large adults.

Well Chardonnay definitely has some good sized hips to get her out, :wow:

Mira is adorable too. Congrats that it was a smooth delivery.

wow! big baby!
i'm glad to hear everything went so smooth and that mama and baby are doing well.
Mira is a cutie!

Wow, Sumiko! The largest kit here weighed in at 82 grams. I felt bad for the mother - I've had large babies myself. I still have that kit. Her name is Bambi and she weighs in at 850 grams when she is not pregnant.

I had one that was a bit over 90 grams, but passed a couple weeks later, I'm assuming some other issues were involved possibly with the whole situation? In people diabetes causes big babies, I wonder if there is some connection with that and chins as well... hmmm...

Congrats, that is a huge baby.

I am curious about how she is going to grow. By the time she's a month old she might just be about as big as a normal month old kit. I've noticed that the largest kits often don't go on to being very large adults.
Me too, I noticed the ones that are exceptionally large single births tend towards this.

The large kit size seems to be fairly common with some of the other breeders who are working with the Lowe RWs too... not necessarily a good thing! I want healthy kits but these (especially this girl!) are so large I really have to be careful which females I use with these lines...

I'm just thankful both momma and baby are doing well. I thought those 80 g babies were big until I saw this girl!

I weigh most of my babies, but since my ranch has been growing I haven't kept up with it unless the baby looks small. But I had a really nice tan that I just weaned, and I believe he is the biggest baby I have ever had at the age of 8wks. He is only 8wks old, and weighs over 465grams! I think that is big, but maybe not?

I'll definitely post pictures as she grows. And about the large babies not ending up large, so far that is also holding true with my RW male. He was one of the 80 g babies but hasn't grown at the rate most of my other kits do. Discouraging, but we'll see how he (and this girl) end up growing out.

Congrats Sumiko! You are very lucky the mother was able to have her naturally and without injury to mom or baby. I usually don't weigh my newborns, but recently had to take a female in for a c-section. It was her second litter and a single. The vet who performed the surgery was amazed by the babies size, so he weighed it and told me it was 111 grams. He asked me if that was normal for chins. Lol! Unfortunatly, it was too late for mine as it was stillborn. I have a standard line that consistently throws large size. It is always a concern that sometimes the babies from this line are to big for some moms to handle. It is definitely a genetic issue to be aware of in my case and sounds like it is in yours as well since she's had previous large babies. I hope she turns out big and nice. :)

Latest posts

Back