"Fluffy"

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awww. she is soooo adorable!!

Did her old owner have a water bottle or just a dish of water in the cage? When I got my rescue girls they were drinking out of a water dish so I just put both in the cage until they got the hang of the water bottle. Just a thought if that is the case.

Congrats again!!

So i need help with getting "Fluffy" to eat the pellets.
I talked to her previous owner she said that the 1st owner gave her the same food that owner #2 gave me.
When we picked her up she told us how she'd eat everything in the bag except for the pellets, she wouldn't touch them. The food is crap.

So since she hates pellets so much, how am i gonna get her to eat Mazuri or any other kind of recommended pellet???

I think I read before that some people have dribble 1-2 drops of applejuice onto the bowl of pellets to sweeten them. Do you have critical care or lifeline? Sometimes sprinkling that on top will work.

Most people will tell you that chins WILL NOT starve themselves to death unless theyre sick or something. She will eat eventually...I know its hard to watch though

That happened with my first chin too. At the pet store, they only fed him nuts, fruit and some horrible treat mix thing... it took him almost a week before he'd eat and drink more than a tiny amount. He was a stubborn little butt though, odds are she won't take so long :) Are you keeping her name as Fluffy? Sorry if someone asked already and I missed it!

she chows down on the hay but when it comes to water and pellets she turns her nose up towards.
i did rub a raisin on the water spout thing, so i'm hoping that will work.

and so far she's "Fluffy" lol but i don't plan on keeping it that unless i absolutely have to.
she responds to Fluffy and Baby. We tried thinking of a name but nothing came to our mind. So we're just calling her "Fluffy" for right now until we see her personality and then we'll go from there as to what to name her.

I would not sweeten or change the pellets, if it were me. She is throwing a little fit, and will likely get over it soon. As long as she's eating the hay, her gut is moving, you can wait a few more days before you intervene. Did you get that gram scale yet? Otherwise its quite hard to tell whether they've eaten any or not.

no i have not. i did however see her eat a couple pellets tonight.she ate all of them. so hopefully she'll continue to eat them.
she did lick the nozzle or whatever its called on the bottle. but she didn't drink any out of it yet.
she's right now busy exploring every part of the cage and sticking her nose as far as she can out of the cage.

She's so cute! Congrats! Is she pooping/peeing decently? If so I'd just continue to watch the food and water intake but not worry yet.

Poop is decent. Its tic tac sized and lots of it. I've only seen about 3 pee spots but I don't constantly look in her cage. She hasn't. Drank any water since weve Hadher. We rubbed a raisin on the nozzle of it and she licked it but didn't drink any. We marked a line on the bottle so we can tell if she drinks any tonight or not.

I realized meimei will refuse to go into the hammock if he can feel the floor
I think he likes being wrapped around by the hammock, you could try weaving the ends thru the bar to make it a bit higher; she might like her hammock more

Hi Keisha, I met Fluffy on my facebook page yesterday but am loving all these photos. I just wanted to add that chins drink very little water which you may know but some of them do not drink consistently. I had a girl that would drink hardly anything for 2 days and then drink a lot on the 3rd day, she was always like that. So as long as Fluffy is eating I'm sure she'll be thirsty eventually. Sounds like she's settling in very nicely, that's so great that she already loves scritches and the tube stash story is so cute! I hope she drinks soon so you stop worrying :)

if she were to lay in her hammock she wouldn't be touching the wood. i think we have to tighten it some. cause she'll sit on top of her fleece house.
even though there isn't any room for her :rolleyes:

i'm just a worry a monster lol. so her not eating her pellets or drinking water, well it's horrible for me. lol. i'm gonna empty out the bottle today and add new water in it and then maybe she'll drink it but who knows.

we've figured out that she loves cartoons which doesn't surpise us cause she was in a home with two children that were under the age of 5. if we don't have cartoons on rarely does she look at the tv. she did however watch glee with me. and she loves the country music station on our tv :)

she lets both of us give her scritches now, she about falls over when we give them to her. she's warming up fast (didn't expect it). :thumbsup:

Aww, she's so cute. I love your fleece, too. About the water, if you're using a glass Super Pet water bottle, I would check it a few times throughout the day to make sure it's dispensing water. I had one and couldn't get it to work no matter what I did.

she is really warming up, to me atleast. she hopped in my hand today and hopped onto my arm smelling me. and then she sat there on my arm while i petted her then i went to move my other arm because my hair was getting ready to fall on her and then she hopped off. i don't believe hand taming her will be hard :)

Aww, she's so cute. I love your fleece, too. About the water, if you're using a glass Super Pet water bottle, I would check it a few times throughout the day to make sure it's dispensing water. I had one and couldn't get it to work no matter what I did.

yes i'm using a glass SP bottle. it works fine, leaked a couple times but got it to stop. but yeah it works she just doesn't wanna use it yet.

My chin Pudge came from an owner who had her on junk food. When we first got her she worried me to death because I never saw her eat or drink! I did find out that she liked hay though once I bought her a fresh bag. Don't do anything to the pellets. She won't starve herself. She'll eat them when she gets hungry enough.

If you're worried about her not eating, try some different hays. Most chins will scarf down some major orchard grass.

Back