Fivel & Oblio

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What a rascal... what happens in the living room stays in the living room eh?

My little Fivel has been less than his chipper self lately, no hardcore parkour with his brother and even not wanting his shredded wheat! He has been having wet smeary poops coming out in clumps - and they have a bad odor. So he is going to his first vet visit today, hopefully to get some antibiotics for his tummy. His brother Oblio is going for moral support, but as they have the same living conditions it's odd that Ob is fine. Makes me think its stress related. I don't know, my boyfriend thinks it may be that fluctuating weather, hot cold, sunny, rainy, high humidity. Anyway wish us luck, I will bring back a full report, I've read good things about Dr. Rosskopf.

Attachments

• 5L.jpg
    5L.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 31
So Fivel has Giardia. The vet said anything could have triggered it to flare up. I am so thankful to have this forum as such a great resource in searching for wet poops, smelly poo, and clumps chain poop to know that it was an infection that needed medication. Fivel was awesome, he was such a calm little champ. His brother on the other hand, was a bit frantic over the whole event so I made sure that Oblio knew Fivel was ok.

The vet exam was $53, fecal flot. - I.H. $41, Metronidazole (50mg) $37, Probiocin oral gel $21. They gave me separate dosages for Fivel and Oblio, just as a preventative. She said it's really bitter and wont want to take it. I'm going to let them rest from the ordeal and then I guess I will find out how it goes.

Attachments

• vet.jpg
    vet.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 28
My goodness it seems the vet visit is probably going to be the easiest part of this. When I got home I left them alone and just let them cuddle. But come medicine time, Fivel did very well. I gave them the pro-biotic gel first, then the yucky flagyl, then followed with some (all natural, organic, no added ingredients) baby food to get the taste out. He was a little cranky but I let him take a bath right after.

Oblio on the other hand...as we know, is a rascal. He did not want to be weighed. Did not want to be burritoed. Did not want to swallow what was put in his mouth. And he kicked so frantically with his back legs, it was amazing, and he would crane his head up and was making the most pitiful squeak sounds. He was very grumpy afterward and hid in the corner for awhile before coming out to take a bath. I left them alone and after an hour were back to usual and were munching on hay. Fingers crossed this goes well.

Attachments

• Picture 1733.jpg
    Picture 1733.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 26
  • Picture 1736.jpg
    Picture 1736.jpg
    94.4 KB · Views: 29
Poor boys! Oblio, your Mom is only trying to help! Be a good boy and cooperate.
Hope everyone is back to normal soon, and yes this place is amazing with it's people and wealth of information!

I hope Fivel feels better and has a speedy recovery. Forcing meds is never fun. Hang in there to all 3 of you!

wishing a swift recovery for Fivel!

and what is that humungous rainbow thing hanging on the display in your vet's office??? looks like a bird toy made from wood slats. ooooh..... my boys would LOVE it!

Yup, rainbow bird toys. It's an Avian and Exotic Hospital. There was a parrot, rabbit, chameleon, and a puppy there.

Man, burrito medicine is brutal! I actually dreaded medicine time it was so discouraging. Fivel began his buzz growling at me to tell me not to pick him up. Oblio just tried to outrace my hand and then when caught would whine and squeal no matter how much I promised I wasnt going to eat him.

Then about Day 3 I discovered that Fivel was looking forward to medicine time! As soon as I brought the bag out and was getting the syringes ready, he started pressing his face out like it was treats. So I held the syringe out to him, and he ate it like a big boy! Yay for no chasing! It took a little more cajoling for Oblio to come around, but by Day 5 they both were medicine-taking champs. Everything I heard and had read warned me that the medicine was bitter, and would make them nauseous and lose their appetite. My boys must be weird because they came to love the stuff, continued to eat like normal, and even gained weight!

The boys have come back around to trusting me again, and things seem back to normal (although I'm keeping a watchful eye!) but there have been a couple changes in Fivel.
1. He no longer has any interest in shredded wheat (I know! surprises me too)
2. He no longer cares for oats as a treat.
3. Whereas Oblio used to be the one to cuddle on Fivel, without fail, in what my boyfriend calls 'the backpack' - now there have been increasingly more sightings of the 'reverse backpack' with Fivel cuddling on Oblio. So maybe this illness has made Fivel grow up and discard childish things and be more of a caring brother. We'll see.

Attachments

• IMG_9172.jpg
    IMG_9172.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_9179.jpg
    IMG_9179.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 26
A year since I last posted pictures!? Outrageous, this must be remedied immediately!

Attachments

• IMG_8718.jpg
    IMG_8718.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 1585.jpg
    Picture 1585.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 28
  • Picture 1599.jpg
    Picture 1599.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_8755.jpg
    IMG_8755.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 28
Of course they do! They're my little quality control taste testers. Oblio is the loofah fiend, whereas Fivel is more of a hay monster.

Attachments

• IMG_9231.jpg
    IMG_9231.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 21
  • cuddle.jpg
    cuddle.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0188.jpg
    IMG_0188.jpg
    87.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0194.jpg
    IMG_0194.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 22
It scares me when my chins sleep on their sides with their eyes open like in that picture! It looks like they're dead! haha I wish they would at least close their eyes! :) I read this whole thread, I'm glad they are ok!

More pics!!

Attachments

• photo (1).jpg
    photo (1).jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 12
  • pho1to.jpg
    pho1to.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 9
  • photo (2).jpg
    photo (2).jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 9
  • photo (3).jpg