Chronicles of Rhino

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
that cage is only 2 foot by 3 foot and 4 feet tall. interior space is about the same as a FN, but it's all empty space (no dividing level), so i have a lot more room to work with, and A LOT more horizontal bars than a FN to support shelves, tubes, etc. i just can't decide which way i want a double wide shelf to go in about halfway up the cage, front to back, or side to side? gotta make sure there's something to catch a fall should Rhino slip! and he's not a hammock liking chin, he pretty much ignores his current corner one, so not much point in stretching a double across the middle.

i've got so many ideas for this new cage! found a fleece set i want, and FN liners are within a half inch of the floor space of this cage, woo hoo!!!!!

Last edited:
woo hoo!!! finally got the base built for Rhino's new cage (well, part way, lol. still have to tile the bottom, make the front part a drop down panel on hinges, and install the casters). but it's use-able for now! yay! i just put some fleece across the bottom and put down two of the tiles for now to be used as chillers.

Image0296.jpg

i still need to make more shelves, and have a new bottom liner, tube liner and hanging house coming in soon, yay! didn't want to put the current shelves any higher until i make a double wide shelf to span the middle of the cage (in case of slips/falls). i know the corner hammock looks funny there, but i've been trying to put it up in a way that Rhino will actually use it, and so far he ignores it no matter what i do, lol. in his old cage, i put his tube in his hammock near the cage bottom and he liked that, so i might have to get him a second tube, lol.

Rhino wasn't too sure what to think at first, lol, but then he was bouncing around like there was no tomorrow :)) i even figured out how to install hardware on his coffee can tube so it can hang now! go me! lol.

Rhino's been pretty placid and napping on shelves since the initial 'kangaroo jacked up on caffeine' phase earlier when he was checking everything out, lol. but i'm sure he got tuckered out due to the extended playtime while i was taking down the old cage and setting up the new :))

he really likes that long shelf directly below the upper cage door, since it gives him easy access to the 'hand carpet' treatment and scritches.

new pictures!!!! lol.

um, captain? i think the ship is a lil low on the left.....
Image0351.jpg

could my lil boy be any cuter?
Image0341.jpg

Rhino has a 'skunk stripe'! i swear his noggin wasn't like that when i got him.
Image0346.jpg

mmmm...... hay.......
Image0329.jpg

just hanging out, plotting away...... lol.
Image0322.jpg

a few new shots:

he LOVES his house from Annie!
Image0462.jpg

cage improvements! i'm trying to figure out a no sew hammock to extend across the middle, and another shelf spanning front to back is going in (ran out of hanger bolts! lol).
Image0473.jpg

how i spent my saturday morning, lol!
before:
Image0463.jpg

after:
Image0464.jpg

my kiddo made two of them, top left and second from the right on the top. she loves helping me with Rhino stuff! not bad for an almost 7 year old, eh? they all went in the cage, just about one for each shelf in there. Rhino's not a spoiled fuzzbutt at all....... :rofl:

I'm trying to figure out a no sew hammock to extend across the middle.
I have a no sew hammock across the middle of our chins cage. Measure the dimensions, fleece stretchs and it probably varies so you will have to figure out how much smaller to cut it. I simply left a little bit of the extra fleece on and it sorta looks like a bed skirt but not that long. To fasten it I make strips of fleece like 2 inchs wide and 6-8 inches long (they too will stretch way out in length) I simply cut a tiny 1 inch slit on all 4 corners and tie each corner of the hammock with the fleece "rope" to the cage corner bar. The chins love it and act like they are on a trampoline.

Wow! Where did you get all those toy parts?! I love the toys!

Great job on the toys! Can you PLEASE come over to my house and do that with all the toy parts that I have? Rhino is so lucky!

he's definitely spoiled right rotten, lol. thanks for the awesome comments! and thanks too for the no sew idea! i was figuring a tie of sorts would be needed, just couldn't picture how to do it.

all the toy parts i've gotten from various places - Camphor, Things for Wings, Little Critter Naturals, Petsmart...... i think that's all, lol. a lot of the pieces are re-used off toys i've made him before. i just got an order in from Little Critter Naturals and decided i was going to go stir crazy chin spoiling today, :rofl:

Last edited:
Back