Chronicles of Rhino

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChinnyMom

slave to Rhino and Guss
well folks, i figured since Handbag has his own thread (and a few others do too i'm sure, just haven't seen them all), i figured it was time for Rhino to have one too.

Rhino came home last Thursday, Feb 24th, 2011. he is supposed to be a foster chin, but i have a hunch he'll stay :heart5:

he was very skittish for a good few days and i did get one bite that broke my skin, but that was my fault, i was probably pestering him too much while refreshing his hay and food. now he just likes to try and eat my nails, lol.

he's been out a few times, but until tonight he didn't really have much to do with me. He absolutely loves popping in and out of the pillows on my bed!

1-0833.jpg

(folks, taking the metal bed frame off my bed and having the boxspring on the floor is the most genius idea i've had all week, lol, and wish i'd thought of it before Rhino took forever to come out from under the bed on one of the first nights out)

tonight was also the first night he was peeping (contact sound) when out, which i understand is them either looking for something or happy, or perhaps both. i attempted to peep back at him and he usually would come over to me when i did, even though my peep sounded nothing like his, lol. he also sat still on my shoulder tonight for a teensy bit! i wish i had brought my camera in with me, doh!

here's his current cage. soon as i've done some more renovations i'll be sure to give y'all the view.

1-0835.jpg

and a couple more shots of my cutie. (wire shelf is gone)

1-0820.jpg

1-0847.jpg

stay tuned for more Rhino!

Looks like he's happy as a clam. I wish you many more days of hide and seek with the pillows. :)

Yea he seems to be adjusting well. When I needed to get a new bed a bunch of months ago, I forwent the metal frame so my chin wouldn't hide out under there too.

lotsa photos..... you've been warned! lol.

Rhino sure got spoiled tonight. i've been waiting forever for an order to come in with toys and chews and treats, and felt bad that my lil guy only had some older sticks, a pumice block, and his log house and shelves to chew on, so i stopped in at petsmart for lava bites (since he really liked his old one and decimated it within the first couple days here!), but alas, no lava bites, so picked him up these things instead:

Image0032.jpg

Image0030.jpg

Image0029.jpg

Image0028.jpg

Yes, the nuts came out. my kiddo asked to have them for her 'collection', lol!

the popsicle stick toy went in about 7:30 tonight. went to visit Rhino for a few minutes around 10 pm and he'd already torn apart over a quarter of it, lol. i'll get a photo after play time tonight of the carnage, hahaha!

i also picked up a bag of botanical hay, to give him a lil variety along with his plain timothy. put a small handful in and he went to town on it. gosh, i love spoiling this lil furbutt :))

a few more shots of play time the other night:

1-0889.jpg

this is the look i get when i don't put dust in his bath fast enough, lol!

1-0873.jpg

Image0052.jpg

his toes are just too cute not to share

and gotta love the nose shot,

1-0880.jpg

Aww Rhino is a cutie pie! Love the dust bath pic. He looks really impatient and adorable.

He is way adorable. I love his name! He sure looks like he's getting spoiled! And I have to agree with you, those chin paws are way too cute! :D

here's what Rhino did to his popsicle stick toy in under 24 hours, lol.

Image0067.jpg

and he's finally figured out that the ikea style chair i have in my room is a great thing to leap on. i swear he was posing for me :)) (sorry for the fuzzy pic, i had too much coffee yesterday, lol)

Image0061.jpg

he's so funny, he'll sit there and stare at the bare wall. don't know what's so interesting........ lol.

Image0063.jpg

Awww!!! Little Rhino is so spoiled!! Hehe, he is such a darling. You are just like me, chinnymom, I am always debating what to buy my chinnies next!! :D

today i decided it's too cold to go get groceries (i usually walk the 17 odd blocks to superstore), but i'm still debating on walking to petsmart to see what else they have for Rhino (i was with my kiddo last time and didn't have a chance to really browse). funniest part about all this is...... petsmart is beside superstore, hahaha!

Squeeeeee!!!! my package from Camphor just got here, finally! i haven't been this excited since Christmas as a kid, lol!

Image0072.jpg

yeah, fuzzy pic, but i'm so excited to spoil Rhino i was bit jittery, lol!

so far he hasn't touched the willow cherries, but i did put a lot of the new things in his cage, so maybe he just hasn't had a chance to get to them yet, lol. the cherry flavoured pumice toy was attacked as soon as it went in, and the look of pure bliss on his face when eating a bit of the chin cookies was priceless! (i was too busy spoiling to take photos, lol). his first bite of loofah was met with a 'whoa, this stuff is good!' response too. making Rhino happy makes me happy! :)) he's bouncing around his cage, checking everything out.

hope he realizes his hammock is comfy soon. i put a loofah bit and a willow star in there to entice him, and found out just how far a chin can stretch when they want something, lol, the willow star got snagged out with barely a paw touching the hammock!

picked up a grapewood hanging toy today, and a yucca one too. i'm starting to run out of room in his cage to put things, lol! (maybe Rhino needs a bigger cage? yep!) really want to get him either a corner or cylinder house soon. Rhino just got an updated 'fleece floor tube' last night - i finally got my hands on a bigger coffee can, yay! (yes, i checked all the edges and crimped down anything that i could feel when i ran my finger over). he's been snoozing in there off and on all day, he loves it! now i just need to hang it from the cage ceiling :))

will try to remember my camera when i go have play time with him tonight, so i can get some new shots for y'all.

Rhino is adorable and the name fits him. Sounds like he's going to be so spoiled while you are fostering him that he'll be ruined for another home and have to stay with you!

he is staying :)) his lil chinny toes dug deep in my heart and hooked on real good! (i had actually made up my mind he was staying for good about the 3rd day he was here, lol)

i've been toying with the idea of selling one or two of my fish tanks so i can get him a brand new FN and more shelves, toys, etc. people that know me would gasp because i've been 'the crazy fish lady', lol, for about three and a half years, and up until Rhino came home the finkids were in second place next to my human kidlett. right now i have four tanks and 132.5 gallons total!

Back