Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Safe journey to all involved. I won't be able to exhale until they are all safely tucked in their new homes.

me either. i am so stressed about driving on sunday! i just want them home munching on hay and lounging in some fleece.

Rick my cell phone is by me all night if you need anything call and take care of yourself. We all want these guys to be happy and safe but the people here come first. Take care of yourself

Several experienced people in my community have been asking me for information about the hedgie, small rodent, and reptile adoptions. They would like me to give them info about adoptions, fostering, and donations. Does anyone have contacts for some of the other species?

I'm told there are about 1000 dwarf hamsters still available. Try this contact for info on other species although I know they want 501c3 non-profits to sponsor for adoptions.

Courtney Stevens at
[email protected]

Linda

I bought a bag today. :)
Now I'm working on getting the rest of my stuff together since I waited until the last minute. :)
Since we are about the last drop off beside Pensacola I still have some time.

I'll get r done before they get here.
I'm taking Monday off so I may just look at new chinnies and sleep and dream about new chinnies.
Hope everyone has a safe trip

Based on ingrediants and nutritional value, Manna Pro Premium Show Rabbit shoud work well after transitioning. It doesn't have quite as much fiber but that should be offset by the timothy hay.

Based on ingrediants and nutritional value, Manna Pro Premium Show Rabbit shoud work well after transitioning. It doesn't have quite as much fiber but that should be offset by the timothy hay.
There is no point in transitioning them to Oxbow chin food and then again to Manna Pro Premium Show. That will add extra stress to their gut. If you plan on using the Manna Pro Premium Show, you should transition to that right from the Oxbow Cavy Cuisine.

Does anyone happen to have digital copies of the articles about this case that are not computer links (maybe Word documents)? My computer freezes with almost every article, and I would really like to have a copy of everything!

Please PM me if you do!! :)

While I want to thank everyone for taking a chin(s) in, after seeing a few chins appearing to have symptoms of ringworm, I wanted to take this opportunity to remind everyone that they should quarantine appropriately. Ringworm is highly contagious and can be irritating to get rid of, so I would hate to see someone's chins get infected.

Ringworm can be passed from the chin to you, so make sure you wash your hands and change your clothes in between other chins.

Ringworm has about a 3 week incubation period, so do not assume your chin does not have ringworm until it has been in quarantine at least 3 weeks. I would personally assume any chin as been in contact with the fungus, since the spores can be spread through the air and all of these chinchillas have been within the same vicinity.

I'm quoting this treatment from the FAQ's of this forum:
TREATMENT: Change the dust in the chins bath and add a heaping teaspoon of foot powder for athlete’s foot (Tinactin) per cup of dust and mix really well. DO NOT SHARE THE BATH with anyone else that may not have the fungus. If you are certain that more than one has the fungus then you can let them use the same bath. And do this for 6 –7 weeks to be certain all fungus is gone, and make sure to change the dust regularly. Also you can use the Lamisil AT cream for up to 20 days just by rubbing a small amount on the infected areas. Blu Kote (which can be purchased at feed stores) is also another option. If only available in spray cans, spray some into a small container and apply with a cotton ball or Q-tip or even spray into a envelope dobber and apply to the areas for 4 to 7 days depending on how the fungus reacts. The only bad thing with Blu Kote is that it is really blue, very BLUE, so if used the chins will be a blue-violet for a while. Also, it is hard to get off of clothing and skin and makes it hard to see the status of the infected area. Fungus related skin irritations should begin to clear within a few days and new fur will return to the area in about a week to 10 days. ALWAYS, ALWAYS, MAKE SURE TO WASH YOUR HANDS, especially before moving on to another animal!!!! Also, be careful not to transfer the fungus from animals to your clothes and then handle animals without the fungus, which can spread the fungus as well. Remember to clean all equipment with a water/bleach solution and throw away any wood that could have been exposed to the infected chins. If you feel the chins are so infected with the fungus that these treatments will not work, PLEASE take the chins to the vet and get medical treatment that way!!

this may be a silly question, but will using anti bacterial help.

i put a bottle downstairs next to their cage, since my 2 new ones are in the same general area but not next to each other as some of my existing chins. i already told my son if he touches the new guys to use the antibacterial right away.
i will make sure i either wear an apron or change clothes when handling them.

this may be a silly question, but will using anti bacterial help.
Not really, ringworm is a fungus, and ejects spores in the air and then they settle. They live in everything for 7+ years but you only notice when your immune system goes down and you get an outbreak.

Sulfur is also a very effective treatment, I add 1 teaspoon to a cup of dust, you may have to rub the dust into the area on the nose though. It clears it up faster than tinactin.

i meant using the anti bacterial on my hands not the chin though. as to not touch another chin............but if it is airbourne that may not be enough.
thanks for the info. do they always get ringworn on thier nose? or are there other spots to look out for?

They can get ringworm anywhere, but it most commonly pops up around the nose, eyes, and genitals.

Some sources say that hand sanitizer will kill ringworm , and other sources say they will not. It couldn't hurt to use it, but I would still wash my hands in conjuction with it- not rely solely on it. Like Tara said, the spores are built to lay dormant for years. Because of this, they are hardier than the fungus so that they can withstand harsher elements than the actualy ringworm infection.

& Yes, the spores are airborn. This is why it is very important to house the chins away from your others in a completely different room. Just being across the room is not enough, since the spores can float across on dust particles, etc. We all know how far they can fling their dust when taking a bath.

Last edited:
My girls are settling in and so far no signs of ringworm. I will be putting sulfur in their dust bath as a preventative. I know that doesn't mean they won't get it but it cuts down the chances.

where do you get sulfur?
unfortunately my chins ARE in the same room. just not next to each other. and the room is big but since all the chins were in my house last night i just would like to take precautions. i do not plan on having the new guys out for playtime for a few days, want them to settle in. once they are they will dust and i will disinfect the play area.

Back