Arlington TX SPCA bust - General Discussions

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oooohhhh.............i hope the VA/DE/NJ run will allow us to get home in time to watch.......otherwise i may need to stop off at a local bar!

Transport

Hello all! Especially my NC/VA/DC/MD buddies....

Tiffany, I am good to go for the possibility of Sunday transport. I'm sure I will be talking to you Saturday and probably early Sunday morning :thumbsup:

Sonia, can't wait to meet you among all of this chin craziness...

Suzi, its tiiiiiiiiime! Finally!

Tomorrow I will be setting up my quarantine cage :neener:

Rick--I have a couple questions. If this isnt the proper section, mods please feel free to move.

1. will you have time to make sure these chins are sexed properly? i know everything will be rush rush, so i was just wondering.

2. will you know if any of them were housed together and with that will you be able in let us know if we are getting chins that may be potentially bonded. just wondering if i would need to do regular intros or not.

3. what are your feelings on the quarentine. i appreciated the email sent regarding some of the tests that were done. do you feel it is comepletly necessary?

Thanks so much for all your hard work. i will be setting up my FN this week and getting ready for my new friends!

1. will you have time to make sure these chins are sexed properly?

Yes

2. will you know if any of them were housed together and with that will you be able in let us know if we are getting chins that may be potentially bonded.

Yes, but there is no guarantee that the pairing will continue. If you are getting an even number, you will get previously paired chins. No one should take more chins than they have individual cages for.

3. what are your feelings on the quarentine.

You should absolutely be as cautious as you feel necessary for as long as you think warranted.

I feel they have been in 'quarantine' for 6 weeks with no sign of problems. However, there is no reason to expose other chins to their fecal pellets or urine for a short time. Personally, I'm not worried about it but any I bring home will see my vet before being able to use the playland. Those being fostered for me in other cities will also see a vet.

As far as letting bacteria acclimatize or whatever, well, I think that's pseudo-scientific babble.

3. what are your feelings on the quarentine.

You should absolutely be as cautious as you feel necessary for as long as you think warranted.

I feel they have been in 'quarantine' for 6 weeks with no sign of problems. However, there is no reason to expose other chins to their fecal pellets or urine for a short time. Personally, I'm not worried about it but any I bring home will see my vet before being able to use the playland. Those being fostered for me in other cities will also see a vet.

As far as letting bacteria acclimatize or whatever, well, I think that's pseudo-scientific babble.
IMHO and as jags pointed out earlier these chins should be quarantined. Based on the 1/29/10 post by NOLA there have been more deaths, which effectively negates any quarantine the 6 weeks with the SPCA would have provided.

From Dr Brown:

"Also there were less then 70 when I left due to another two losses and I know that at least one staff member is taking a chin and maybe more."

When dealing with quarantine, the quarantine period should be considered starting from the last date of any symptoms. By way of example, if you have a chin in a 30 day quarantine and it shows symptoms of ring worm on day 29. You wouldn't throw that chin in with your herd on day 31, since they have been in quarantine for 30 days. That chin would need to be kept in quarantine for 30 days after the last symptom of ring worm has been cleared. The purpose of quarantine is to give any illness a chance to present itself before you infect your resident animals. Under the circumstances and given that there have been recent chin deaths at the facility, everyone needs to do a 30 day quarantine upon arrival of the chins.

Seeing a vet and having a battery of tests run does not negate the need for quarantine. There is no way that every possible problem can be tested for.

My feels exactly Menagerie, I would hate to see someone have problems with the animals they already have due to getting a free chin and not taking the proper precautions.

>When dealing with quarantine, the quarantine period should be considered starting from the last date of any symptoms

I am neither simple nor careless. There have been no recent deaths. Dr Brown left around the end of the year or sooner.

Last edited:
From Dr Brown:

"Also there were less then 70 when I left due to another two losses and I know that at least one staff member is taking a chin and maybe more."

Rick, This is the message Meanie was responding to. You posted this on Jan 29. I had assumed, as I'm sure did many, that these were recent deaths. If this is not the case, then you may want to start including a date that you received the emails you are posting to us. We had no idea that Dr. Brown still wasn't there and that there were not health problems that had killed 2 recently.

thank you. i personally have enough cages in the event that the pair i get does not get along. in addition i planned on following basic quarantine procedures.
sounds like many of the chins have been checked by a vet so on my end unless i see any problems, i will not further stress them by taking them to see my vet.

i do understand that there may be loose poo or some eating issues and i plan on getting some of the food they are on (oxbow deluxe??) so i can mix with my PRSC. i have plenty of hay for them and hope they acclimate well!

They are on the guinea pig formula. They weren't eating hay in the beginning so Rick wanted to get more Timothy in them.

Edit: Rick, will they be coming with a little baggie of food? I just need to know so I can also go buy some if not.

My chins will be quarantined. If they don't come with food, mine will be going directly to Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe under a watchful eye. If anyone sees a problem with this, please let me know and I will change my feeding plans for them.

Also, mine will not be going to the vet unless they show some sign of illness. They won't be going for a 'check up'.

Gradual is suggested - as they've had digestive/dietary issues. Everyone north of DC will receive 1lb of Cavy Cuisine with each chin to transition them over. I have it on hold at my local store and will pick it up tonight.

The chins are on Cavy Cuisine (not Cavy Performence) and a variety of timothy hays, mostly Oxbow. I am hoping to send one pound of pellets with each chin for transitioning.

I discussed the switching to an alfalfa based pellet with Pam Orr from Oxbow. She said it should be done slowly as the new pellets will be 'richer' and likely very appealing to the chins. Plus these chins are still youngish.

Well they are calling for snow this weekend for the Mid-atlantic region. I pray the forecast changes. Although we aren't even sure if it can happen this weekend depending on all the paper work.

Jill thank you for making that hold. I did not realize they were on the GP formula.

"you may want to start including a date that you received the emails you are posting to us."

I understand, sorry. It was a recent email in response to a query for further health information. She has been consulting by phone with the vets there and did return for at least 1 short visit. The leaving she referred to was her original one.

In any case, I am not saying a separation is not needed. But care, rather than alarm, is, IMO, the appropriate response.

All chins surrendered to us see our vet for a wellness check at the earliest opportunity. It is a policy we put in place many months ago and has served us well.

If you are getting a chin from me, I have already decided you are capable of treating the chin well in your fashion. Do as you see fit with no argument from me. Several people were asked to upgrade hay (from KayTee), water, dust and treats. They all agreed. In reality, this form of care is a conservative version of the norm generally agreed upon here by most members- or at least my sense of it. I learned it from you all.

We have a number. Just received from Courtney Stevens, SPCA of Texas, Chief Investigator:

"There are 70 chinchillas that are going to placed with NOLA Chinchilla rescue."

And the carriers that I built have been approved for use.

Back