Switching from Mazuri to Oxbow

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nef

CnH Supporter
Supporting Member
Few months ago I bought my chin from a breeder and also got the pellets from them. I didn't want to keep ordering from the breeder because of shipping cost and so I was going to do a food switch. Since Oxbow is largely available in my area and also at very reasonable price, I got a 5-lb bag (for around $10). I was gradually switching but my chin refused to eat Oxbow (I wonder if it's because Mazuri has a higher protein content and smells better?). I also saw some soft droppings during the transition (but I also found her eating the shavings that I recently put into her litter pan, does that cause soft droppings?). Now my question is, should I just not switch at all? I know both Mazuri and Oxbow are good, but Mazuri costs around $9 for 2.5 pounds, whereas Oxbow is only around $10 for 5 pounds! I guess I can drive to a Mazuri dealer to pick up a 25-lb bag but I've only got 1 chin so most of the pellets will go into waste because it won't be fresh. What would you guys do?

Thanks!!;)

How gradual are you switching? It would probably help if you did a mixture of the feeds and gradually upped the amount of Oxbow while lowering the amount of Mazuri over a 3-4 week period if that's not already what you are doing.

Sometimes switching feeds can cause a bit of upset with a chin's digestion. A lot of times it goes away if it's not too bad or some acidophilus can help, but if it persists it's definitely something you want to get to the bottom of and resolve. How long has your chin been on the Oxbow now?

Most of the time chins just chew on the shavings, but I wouldn't think it would cause soft droppings if they actually ate it.

Yea I did it gradually - I replaced 1/4 Mazuri with Oxbow for a week. Her droppings looked okay. The second week I put 1/2 Mazuri 1/2 Oxbow, then it was obvious that she picked out Oxbow and had soft droppings as well (which was bizzare too because if she picked out Oxbow, then what caused soft droppings? Perhaps she was starving and so ate a lot of hay and the moisture caused soft droppings?) I was very worried that she would starve so now she's on all Mazuri again...and now her droppings look alright again. =/

Some chins do better on one food than others. If it was me, I would just slowly switch again... like ridiculously slow. But sometimes, some chins just don't do well on certain foods.

If your chin does good on Mazuri and the switch really isn't working for you, maybe there's a breeder around you that feeds Mazuri that could sell you some? For example, I often rehome rescues and the new homes decide to stay feeding Mazuri... but like you, it wouldn't make sense for them to buy 25 pounds for one chin... so they call me every few months to buy a few pounds of fresh Mazuri... Maybe you can find someone local to you to do the same? Or even maybe someone in the area who you could split a 25 pound bag with?

Try going to the Mazuri site and typing in your zip code. I found a dealer ten miles from me so I get 25lbs for $19.99.

Perhaps she was starving and so ate a lot of hay and the moisture caused soft droppings?) I was very worried that she would starve so now she's on all Mazuri again...and now her droppings look alright again. =/

Hay and oxbow probably have similar moisture contents. On the site it says 10% max moisture and hay is generally around 10% moisture as well.

If she can eat, she won't starve. She would just be being picky is all. I feel like there are some sites that sell Mazuri by the pound. I would check the chin supplier master list (under chin supplies for sale) or maybe you can start selling your left overs if you'd want to take that on.

I think it could be worth one more try in the future (maybe after she's totally settled in to give it the best shot), like greychins said but if you like Mazuri and your chin does well on it then you can probably find a way to make it work.

Where are you located Nef? I was thinking about buying another 25 lb of Mazuri and maybe I could sell you some (at cost + shipping)

Thanks for everyone's input! I really appreciate it. I did check the sites here but after factoring in shipping it's around the same price as from a local pet store. I'm in San Francisco, CA. Will I be the only one in SF that has a chinchilla LOL? :D

Pikaia - Thanks for offering, but I'm guessing it won't be practical for you to ship from Ohio to me? :) Too bad it doesn't work out. Oh well, I'll figure something out. I may give it another try to switch.

Last edited:
Back