Surprise baby, possible breedback? Need Help!,

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kimmie

Hi im new to all of this and in desperate need of help! I have two chinchillas which i bought as a same sex pair so you can imagine my surprise when i go in to let them out and theres a rather large baby sat inbetween them! No mess no fuss just a baby, i had been in a while before and all seemed as normal no signs what so ever, i still cant believe it to be honest! good news is Mum and baby are doing very well and i have seperated the male but im extrememly concerned that the male was in with mum for about an hour after the birth until i discovered what had happened, what are the chances of her being pregnant again? And if she is how can i ensure she will be okay as obviously it will be a struggle being pregnant so soon and looking after the young baby, i am extremely worried as she is a first time mum how she will cope and her health any advice would be appreciated thanks

Well, first thing make sure mom and kit are in a baby escape proof cage, no holes larger that 1 inch by 1/2 inch, not sure what that is in centimeters? Was the baby wet or dry and fluffy? I see this was posted 2 and a half hours ago, are there any more kits now? There is a slim chance of a breed back. Don't worry about that now. You need to get a postal scale that weighs in grams and weigh the baby daily. It may take a couple days for mom's milk to come in so it will lose maybe 2-3 grams. But after that the kit needs to thrive and gain weight or you may need to handfeed. Sexing newborns can be tough, later you can take a pic and we can help with that. PS can you show us some kit pics without disturbing them?? Read up in the baby section here and ask questions here. Congratulations!

Hi thanks for replying the kit was born friday night and i moved them to a safer cage as it tried to escape within the few hours! the kit now weighs 60g but i have only first weighed today it seems like its doing really well inbetween cuddling up with mum its running about just fine, the furs all fluffy and it looks quite big and healthy but i will start weighing everyday to ensure its is feeding okay and gaining weight, i have checked mum over and she seems fine but very hungry shes been given extra food but i was wondering if there is anything else she may need she is only 11 months old which concerns me as shes so young herself so i want to do everything possible to make sure both her and baby are happy and healthy, i will add a picture soon its adorable :)

Thanks for your reply

Hi sorry not sure if last post sent, mum and baby are in a safe cage and seem to be doing really well, baby is running about looks big and healthy and very fluffy :) i have first weighed today and it is 60g and is now two days old belly seems to be full this evening so im sure its feeding, i will continue weighing to ensure it is gaining weight and feeding properly, Mum seems fine but is very hungry and i was wondering if there anything i should give her apart from the extra food, maybe vitamins etc im concerned about mum as she is only eleven months old which is too young for her to have been bred and i want mum and baby to be as healthy as possible :) i will try and add some pics soon thanks for your help its much appreciated

Sounds great!! Yeah, since you are new your posts are held until an Admin can approve them. Welcome to the forum, you will learn a lot here. Always glad to see someone who cares about their critters

pictures are from just after birth, mum and baby are now in a safer cage and baby now has a healthy curled up tail, a full belly and weighs 64g it is four days old today, i typed it wrong on my last post! so far things are going great thanks for the help:)

Attachments

• kit and mum.jpg
    kit and mum.jpg
    39.4 KB
  • kit.jpg
    kit.jpg
    7.4 KB
Aww, how cute is that! I know you said you changed the cage, I just wanted to tell you that cage bottom is not safe for any chin (ie daddy) their hind leg will slip down in there and they turn a little to see what happened and that leg WILL break while they try to free themselves.

Awww very cute baby, i dont know what i would do if i ever found a baby in my chinnies cage it was bad enough when i woke up to find 3 baby guinea pigs when i was little haha. Congratulations :D i dont know for sure because i have no baby chinnies would a fleece liner be safe ??

Hi yes thanks unfortunately dad is in that cage now and i had no idea it wasnt safe, he does spend most of his time at the top of the cage but I have just covered the bottom in plain carboard, is that okay for now until i find something more suitable? Its the only thing i could of think of to cover the holes for tonight as obviously i dont want to risk any accidents between now and getting him a new cage, also what cage is the best? They came to me in a horrible wire cage with very sore feet so i threw that one out, i am trying my best to give them a safe and comfortable home after there bad start in life but im learning as i go along! Thanks for your all help :)

Back