seen baby skull in xray

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

iluvmychins

About a month ago I asked some questions about how to tell if your girl is pregnant, or something along that line. Well, I was starting to worry, because I just had that gut feeling. I took her to the vet, and they found just a fully grown skull in the xray. They want to spay her on weds, but I am worried that if they made a mistake, and the body was just hidden, can the baby still live if removed that way? Has anyone had just a skull show up in an xray? I am just so worried that they are missing something. The did an ultra sound and " think it is just the skull." They didnt see any movement, but they gave the mommy a sedative. cant that effect the baby? I didnt ask all this at the time, because I was in shock, and bawling like a baby. Also, what is the range for vet charges? Today seemed normal, but it will be close to $800 for the spay. The neuter was only $160. So $800 seems a bit steep to me. Granteed I am going to a better vet than the first. Thanks all!

After reading your post I think we need a bit more information. Was your female pregnant recently? Did she have a live birth and then this became a problem? Or you thought she was pregnant and missed her due date? You have not mentioned if she was ill and thus felt the need to see the vet? Perhaps with more information some of the breeders on the forum can help with information of past experiences. Wishing the best for you and your chin.

yes the sedation given to the mother will directly affect any babies. And I agree with the above, we need more info.

Chinchillas can pass "old" babies (usually in a mummified form). I have had it happen, as have many other breeders.

If she is showing signs of infection and/or illness, then I would think about surgery. If she is fine (eating, drinking, pooping, etc.) then I would wait.

I would only allow a surgical procedure if absolutely necessary. If she is not ill or in distress I would let nature take its course. We had a situation with a female who was pregnant, but we thought the kit was stillborn. My vet couldn't find a fetal heartbeat and there was no detectable movement in the ultrasound. We let her be, since she was doing fine, and she ended up delivering a perfectly healthy live kit. I figure, nature knows best most of the time, so don't mess with it unless you have to.

I agree with everyone else. Don't jump into surgery unless she is ill or showing signs of a pyometra. Can you post the xray?

Jessica

Without infection I would aviod surgery, like sai above mumiffid kits can pass. She may be fine and for all we know the kit may still be developing. The kits don't constanly move, the sleep in there too

I was weighing her, and she was gaining weight. I started when I got her, and every two weeks since. I figured it was either me feeding her well, or she was pregnant. She stopped gaining weight so I wanted to have her checked out to make sure she wasnt pregnant. She didnt lose, just stayed the same. I thought to myself, if she is pregnant, she would either be gaining or losing. I also needed her to have a health check up so I thought they could check to see if she was pregnant at the same time. I hope that answers any questions. Thanks

THe vet wants to do the surgery tomorrow, but now I am weary. I called to have the doc call me when she is available, to discuss this. How long do you all think I should wait before having the surgery if she doesnt give birth to either the live kit or the calcified kit?

ok, just talked to the vet. they are still pushing for surgery for tomorrow because they feel that the mass is to large for her to give birth on her own. I asked them if we could wait a week, and she doesnt feel there is need to do so. She thinks that it only puts the mother at more risk. I made a 3 oclock appt at a different vet to get another opinion. I just do not want to go into something when a different option could be better for her. I will let you know the outcome.

I am sorry you are going through this. It must be so stressful and scary. $800 does not seem that steep for a spay, but I am used to paying prices like that in Florida! I don't know where you live, but prices vary greatly depending on where you are.

I am glad you are getting another opinion, as I don't think this is really an imminent emergency that needs to be done right now. I think another x ray may be a good idea, maybe with a different vet. It should not be that hard to see whether a full grown (or big, as you say) head has a body attached to it or not....at least I don't see why it would be. I hope everything is ok!

I was going to mention a second opinion, but you're thinking ahead! Some vets are out for the money and experience first, especially if it's an "maybe!"
There's been a few that've lost their chins from mis-diagnosis, and possibly unnecessary surguries, recently, and it's heartbreaking - all you're left with is the bill, and a empty feeling!
Good luck with her!!

How long have you had her for?* Has it been 120 days since you got her?* I personally wouldn't do it if she wasn't sick and just talking to hubby about it (he's a vet) he wouldn't do it either.** He's seen my chins with mummified kits-those mom's were not sick.* Your vet is pushing you into something that may not be needed.* If she is eating, drinking, pooping and urinating and there is no discharge from her vagina-leave her alone.* Surgery alone can kill her-she is more at risk for death having surgery than leaving a possible mummified kit.Besides-what if that kit was alive-now you've just killed her/him.Jessica

Thanks all for your support! I keep second questioning myself on delaying the surgery, but something is telling me it just isnt right. She is acting normal. eating, drinking, going to the bathroom, no discharge. Now I did notice some about a month ago. but it was only for one day, then by the time I got to the vet, it was gone. She was also check for pregnancy when I got her, and they couldnt see anything in the xrays then. that was about 8 weeks ago. I just hope I am doing the right thing. I told them I didnt want to have the surgery for a week. This way I can take her to another vet and see if nature takes its course. I would post the ultrasounds, but I never got a copy. I guess I could ask. Thank you all again!

I was thinking along the same line as Rickman; some vets are in it all for the $$. :(

I'm so glad you are going for a second opinion. Perhaps I missed this part, but why are you spaying her? And, do you know anything about her before you got her 10 weeks ago? Age, cage mate, etc?

Wow, what an interesting and scary situation this is. If the baby is still alive and well, I hope you go back and speak with the vet who was pushing surgery. Keep us updated, I wish you and your furry-one the best! :hug:

Perhaps the vet was concerned about pyometra? Reddish discharge is usually a sign of pyometra (uterine infection) and generally requires a spay. But you're saying there is no discharge anymore...so not sure why the vet wants to spay her.

I've had a chin pass a mummified kit as well as a live 71 gram baby. I have a picture of it if you'de like to see. There were no complications before or after the birth.

Good news! There is a whole baby there, sitting in perfect alignment to be here any day now! The new vet said its bone structure is perfect, and thinks she even felt it move! She is not worried about the momma and baby at all! I even seen the whole thing! It was so neat! The xray last night the skull was up under the rib, today is was way down there! The vet last night, I am very disappointed in! I am so glad I followed my instincts! They wanted to spay her so I wouldnt lose anymore babies... well looks like I am not going to lose it! I am still going to fix the opposite sex of the baby, because I do not want anymore babies! I am not qualified enough to do this, and do not have the heart for it (I couldnt stop bawling until I got the good news). It was never my intentions either. I just wanted a couple chinchillas. I think they are amazing animals!

THe mom is a hetro beige white pink, and the dad is a homo beige white pink. They are from a hobby breeder. She was telling me they were show quality, and the grandfather to the mom took first place. He is somewhere in maryland. I didnt understand the stuff, and never really learned because my intentions were not to breed. I mean, I am happy they are good quality for their sakes and the baby, but breeding is just not for me. I will just enjoy your alls pics of the cutie pies!
Thank you all again for hanging in there with me in my roller coaster of two days!

Last edited:
Back