Oxbow says it was always 18% protein?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The feed store I currently use did have some trouble getting it from the Purina distributor. The distributor actually claimed it must be a product from another company. I called PMI directly, asked them what their internal code for the product was, gave it to the feed company, and all of a sudden the CA Purina distributor knew it was their product.

Smaller feed stores actually like to get the product for us because they need a certain minimum to place an order, and our 500 pounds every couple of months helps them meet their minimum. And if your feed store isn't buying this for anyone else, the good thing is that you'll get it fresh. PANR sits in the facility I buy it from since many people apparently use it, and I prefer to get it right off the truck when possible.
Linda

Do you have a ph.# & contact person?

I'm afraid I don't call often enough to have developed a contact person (maybe a dozen times over the past 6-8 years we've been using a Lab Diet). I just go on the website and call the 800 number. I can see the Lab Diet website is now trying to force you into filling out their form and not calling. I've never used the form.

The Purina Mills (PMI) website still has a contact number, though. And you can see the dealer locator by zip code at that link too. Any dealer listed can order these PMI products if they want (and a few feed stores down here specialize in horse products or other niches and won't buy rodent feed).

http://www.purina-mills.com/ContactUs.aspx

Phone:
(636) 742-6100
(800) 227-8941

You can try their form or the form on the Lab Diet "contact us" page if you want. I just don't know how quickly they respond, and I tend to have questions out of the norm from their typical lab customer. I never start by telling them I'm not a lab, and it really only comes up if I'm asking questions they think are strange for a lab and want more context.

On one occasion, they did tell me they wanted to have their local sales rep call me to offer non-lab products. I allowed it, but the woman decided because I was buying for a club and was not a lab that I needed to buy their Mazuri product (which is the lower grade pet product but is also made in the same controlled manner as their lab products). The woman sent me a couple of sample bags, and I vetoed them on sight. They had smallish, less dense, pellets (about twice the diameter of PANR but similar in density) which won't keep the teeth down as well and they had pumpkin seeds and other treat stuff in the mix. It was more expensive than the lab diet in part because they were pushing it in smaller quantity bags. The samples came in two-pound bags.

They may hate me if a bunch of you call them tomorrow, but they've always been more than polite and conscientious in answering my questions -- even after they find out I'm buying for a club (and we purchase more than a ton of food a year).

Linda

There are two very good chinchilla breeders here one Vancouver Island and they team up to get their chin pellets milled locally and have total say what and how much of everything goes into each batch. Now that's quality control for sure. I think that's such a great idea. I also buy pellets from one of them so that's even better and it's less expensive than buying from the big guys like Oxbow or Purina. =)

Back