I know everyone hates Kaytee, but...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

the dreamer
A week and a half ago, I found a Kaytee jar of treats that contains only the following: papaya, raisins, and ROSEHIPS. I bought it simply because it had rosehips, and it was the only way I've been able to find rosehips where I live.

The thing is, I can't find the product online anywhere! It's weird. Just thought I'd say something about it though.

*edit*

OH I found it!

Raisins, Rosehips, and Papaya treat!

Last edited:
Do you not have an organic store like whole foods there? Most of them sell rose hips.
If not there are quite a few ppl here that sell them for around $1 an oz, and it doesn't cost much at all to ship them. If the only thing your using out of that jar is the rose hips I would say just try to order them here or check stores around you and ask if maybe they can order some for you :)

Why don't you get rosehips from other members on this forum? They all ship...and they are MUCH cheaper than a pet store.

And Kaytee is crap either way...I wouldn't give them rosehips from being mixed in there. That's like taking the kaytee diet and picking out all the treats because the pellets might be ok.

DEFINITELY get them from someone on here OR an herb webstite. SO, SO, SO much fresher and cheaper. I made the mistake a year or so ago and bought the kaytee ones. it is mostly raisins, hardly any papaya and the rosehips are not fresh.

i know lots of members will PM you that they sell it. I buy them from: www.mountainroseherbs.com a huge 1 lb bag of crushed rosehips is less than 7 bucks plus shipping of course. but i have 9 chins but it last a long time.
since you have 1 it may be easier to order from someone here who also sells stuff that you need.

Wow, you guys are very adamently against Kaytee. :)) I ordered some rose hips (and different things for my poor carrier-bound princess to chew and destroy) from the Chin Store Galore. Thanks!

Yeah, we aren't big fans. :p I am using the same treat you are right now since it was surrendered to me with a chin, and like you, only using the rosehips.

I wish I would have known you needed some! I could have put that in the package I sent you instead of the chinnie salad (though it does contain cut/sifted rosehips).

Yeah, we aren't big fans. :p I am using the same treat you are right now since it was surrendered to me with a chin, and like you, only using the rosehips.

I wish I would have known you needed some! I could have put that in the package I sent you instead of the chinnie salad (though it does contain cut/sifted rosehips).

Lulz, don't worry about it. I just needed an excuse to get her chew things... and things to destroy... hehehe. :thumbsup:

Offtopic a bit but my mom was going to buy Kaytee hay once, man tell I tell her quickly that kaytee brand is a no-no thanks to these forums. xD

Offtopic a bit but my mom was going to buy Kaytee hay once, man tell I tell her quickly that kaytee brand is a no-no thanks to these forums. xD
Actually, Kaytee hay is not bad. I'm not really a fan of Kaytee as a company, but their hay is the one product they do well.

Actually, Kaytee hay is not bad. I'm not really a fan of Kaytee as a company, but their hay is the one product they do well.

I agree with you on that..I feed a mixture of Oxbow hay and Kaytee hay, in case I have ever run out of one and only have the other.

Ash, another reason not to feed this treat..I fed the rosehips to my chin once and she got a piece of the rosehip stuck in her teeth and it cause an infection in her gums...

and as a warning...;) QMC is very addictive and you will find yourself ordering a lot from Sarah! You oughtta check out her monthly specials!

Last edited:
Kaytee often dyes their hay. You can take a damp paper towel and wipe the green off of the hay.
How do you know it's not its natural coloring? Grass stains are grass stains for a reason, it's a natural result of rubbing on grass...

Kaytee often dyes their hay. You can take a damp paper towel and wipe the green off of the hay.
I've not had any that has been dyed. I don't get it often, but it does come in as donations and I will buy a bag or two occasionally if I can't get my hands on any other hay that the chins will eat. I recently had a hard time getting hay that the beasts would eat. I was able to source Oxbow by the 50 lb box and have 150 lbs on hand at the moment. :dance3:

I know you already ordered some online but, I'm positve you can find some rosehips locally. Try either of these places:

Rosemary House*
120 S Market St
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
(717) 697-5111
*website shows they sell them

Health Food Center
56 W Main St
Mechanicsburg, PA 17055
(717) 697-0945

I sometimes use Kaytee hay, also. I prefer Oxbow as Kaytee seems to be stemmier and stiffer than Oxbow. But if I'm feeling broke or can't find Oxbow, I'll buy Kaytee on occasion. As others have mentioned, you can get great rosehips rather inexpensively from many vendors on this website. I never feed my chins dried fruits of any kind so you just paid a very high price for a very few rosehips.

Happy shopping. :thumbsup:

Back