houses and travel

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fish545

well I have some old wooden houses that my old gerbils used to use, is there anyway to clean the houses so thay are safe for a chinchilla? also, when i go on vacation would it be okay to bring the chinchilla to a friends house or would this be stressful?

Most gerbil houses I've seen wouldn't be nearly large enough for a chin. Can you post a picture or a link to the house you are talking about?

I personally would not drag a chin around on vacation. Some chins do okay with it, others do not. It's new sights, sounds, smells, people, animals, environment. That can be very stressful on a chin. I would try first to find someone who can chin sit for you, come in at least once a day to feed, water, and check on the well being of your chin, make sure the temperature is good where your chin is, etc.

If your chin is skitish and un-tame nix the idea of taking it. If the chin is tame, does not scare easily, is outgoing then go for it. Mine have been everywhere from camping to hotel rooms and since they are well adjusted they enjoyed it as much as the humans going new places.

I go to Massachusetts every year for Christmas. The in-laws are awesome about me bringing my menagarie. It's now 2 pigeons, 2 cockatiels and the chinchilla. Chipper is very laid back and does great with the travel part. Once he gets the idea that the travel cage is it, he just settles down to sleep for the whole ride up. Then he settles into the temp cage like it's his regular home. He's made the trip once so far and I will not hesitate to take him with me anywhere. He's a better travel companion and house guest than the birds. This year I get to figure out how to take a chin spin! Yay! I'll have to put a bit more planning into the temp cage this time out.

thanks! i bought a new bigger house but i have one more question. I feel like the bar spacing is a little big on the bottom of the cage. is there something I can put on it to make it safer? I have a cage with the slide out pan so i can't cover it completeley

you can use marble tiles over some of it OR just switch over to fleece and add a litter box.
the marble tiles are 12 x 12 and can be purchased at home depot or lowes. and they double as a cool place for your chin to rest. fleece can be purchased at many craft stores, some walmarts or online.

Back