Help my Little Henry Standing Bear

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H3nry

Hello,
Henry is a 12-year-old male with an excellent, attention loving personality that bursts at the seams with humor and understanding. I've had him all 12 years of his life, save for the first months.

I recently had times turn and am trying to live out of my car while looking for a new place somewhere other than Colorado. I am exhaustively vigilant, setting up safe areas in car and in hotel when I can afford it. I'm still just one flawed person though, and the summer temperatures have made this much more difficult. Henry has done incredibly well but I don't see how this can continue in this fashion.

I'm willing to drive anywhere in the USA to meet with someone capable and willing to look after my fuzzy cherub. If you aren't able to give him a forever home, I'm willing to pay you to take good care of Henry while I find and establish myself in a new city, no more than a month at longest. I'd actually prefer to find a chinchilla sitter, but I don't wanna just drop him at a rescue, I want you to call me if things aren't working out or just let me know how he's doing.

Please respond soon as possible and please solutions or suggestions; I'm sure fingers itch to criticize but please save it for later?

PS: I don't ever turn off my car during the day, but it's small and the A/C can't keep up if car is in direct sunlight. It's not fair to make his life depend on the car continuing to run, and it's gasoline so idling is hard on it. Also, Henry has check ups once in a while, and to this day has thankfully not had any health issues. I've patched up his little paws a couple times due to dry splitting or sharp wood edge but that's it. I don't want this to change that.

Attachments

• 20220105_224642~3.jpg
    20220105_224642~3.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0011.JPG
    IMG_0011.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 1000000108.mp4
    18.6 MB
Last edited:
Im in pa if your ever around here. There is also a lot of chin ppl in fb group Lets love chinchillas. You may have better luck finding someone closer there. Or finding someone that can direct your chin somewhere.

Thank you so much for your response. We stopped off in Wyoming at a place I found reasonable enough to rest for the weekend and it made all the difference. He's already back to being a little shit, occasionally chewing the underside of an easy chair to seemingly get my attention or piss me off 🙃. Still such a good boy tho, he almost always only chews his own stuff even tho he could go crazy cuz the area I built for him didn't have a snowballs chance in hell of holding him.

I'll definitely check out that FB group and I'm happy to drive to Pennsylvania to meet ya if you're able and willing to take him on. I have an interview in Sioux falls, SD so depending on how that goes, we may make it yet.

Attachments

• PXL_20240714_110103637.jpg
    PXL_20240714_110103637.jpg
    912.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240715_020639095.jpg
    9.4 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240715_020507915.jpg
    7.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_20240715_020431964.jpg
    6.8 MB · Views: 0
i think the name was slightly changed to 'chinchilla care : let's love chinchillas'. Its a group that tries to educate and teach proper care and such for chins. But theres a lot of ppl there. So you may find someone a lot closer to where you are then pa.

Well the job in South Dakota didn't work out. Now I'm in Eastern Iowa. Not sure if that. Hurricane chad hit the Eastern seaboard affected you. Pat Hope you and your chins are okay. If your offer is still on the table I'm planning on making my way to New Hampshire.

I understand if you got enough on your plate. I'm sure you're busy taking care of the ones you got but just wanted to check before I keep looking for another care giver and really just looking for a definite confirmation whether you are willing and able to take Henry on. Like I said, it's no hard feelings whatsoever if not, not I need to know either way before I continue anywhere.

He's actually been doing really well but when I have been able to find work it's not easy getting him to leave my side even in a nice industrial air-conditioned barn.

I just took these pictures yesterday afternoon. The one of him peeking around in the car is from 4 days ago.

He gets a little upset when we've been driving all day y and we've been staying in campgrounds so I typically get woken up half a dozen times to a little scared face the one of him looking out the window is actually in the tent I bought for us. I do much as I can for him and it's not been easy at all. The real challenge is gonna be that we're almost totally out of money already.

I guess I should clarify that I left Colorado mainly because everyone I know including my family is on drugs and I won't have any part of it anymore. I'm making a new Facebook but deleting my old one was necessary for maintaining my sobriety.

I would have been more vigilant about arranging this and communicating, but I've been back and forth because of how proud he's made me after doing so well for so long. But I'm faced with the same question of is this an appropriate life for him Even being the exceptional chinchilla he is? He doesn't seem like he ever feels safe at night even though anything coming for him is over my dead body first, he doesn't understand that. Please get back to me when you can. Thank you for reading.

Attachments

• PXL_20240822_180308694.jpg
    PXL_20240822_180308694.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240822_004627409.jpg
    PXL_20240822_004627409.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20240820_004047947.MP.jpg
    PXL_20240820_004047947.MP.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I can't help with the rehoming, but I would definitely not recommend that chinchilla care: lets love chinchillas FB page at all if you are looking to rehome your chin with someone that will give them a comfortable life, you may get lucky and find someone that knows what they are doing, but the page is run by very close minded uneducated people. I wasn't in the group very long, but that group only seem to "care" about how to keep chins as cheaply and easily as possible, not how to provide a comfortable home and life for chins. They also give advice on things based only on their own personal beliefs of what facts are or what they personally do, actual facts or scientific studies are completely irrelevant to them if it doesn't match up with what they think or personally do. If you correct them or try to clarify their misunderstand of what someone else advised you get muted from commenting or your comment simply gets deleted.

I can't help with the rehoming, but I would definitely not recommend that chinchilla care: lets love chinchillas FB page at all if you are looking to rehome your chin with someone that will give them a comfortable life, you may get lucky and find someone that knows what they are doing, but the page is run by very close minded uneducated people. I wasn't in the group very long, but that group only seem to "care" about how to keep chins as cheaply and easily as possible, not how to provide a comfortable home and life for chins. They also give advice on things based only on their own personal beliefs of what facts are or what they personally do, actual facts or scientific studies are completely irrelevant to them if it doesn't match up with what they think or personally do. If you correct them or try to clarify their misunderstand of what someone else advised you get muted from commenting or your comment simply gets deleted.
Well I still appreciate the advice. At this point, I don't see much of a choice except doing the best I can for as long as I can. Everyone's hiring everywhere but it's a bunch of crap cuz I've applied at least 50 places in the last 2 months and only one call back for that temporary position that's over with now. I'm trying to make my way back to Colorado now as much as I hate everything about that decision. I don't even have enough money left in gas to get me there, but as much as I don't wanna deal with anyone there that'll try everything to drag me back into that drug den, I have lost track of the amount of favors I can justifiably call in and I have no other choice now. Of course, there's no guarantee that any of them will honor such a thing, but one things for certain. I'm gonna do what I have to to take care of my precious boy.

This is a picture of him today it's finally cooled off a bit but we're both so exhausted from struggling everyday like this for 2 over two months now. I know it's only 7 pm here and he's half asleep but I'm worried his eyes look a little weepy it's been impossibly hot even running the car even 16 hours a day I stressed and fought and drove hours anywhere just to keep the cars cab under 80 degrees.

There's the real question. If a 37 year old guy with a criminal record(no felonies tho and all charges for drugs over 5 years old) but shows up early, works his butt off, and comes by mistakes honestly can't find regular work anywhere in 5 states, are we even living in America anymore? My experience is telling me 95% of everything and everyone appears to be full of crap or crack. Even the temp agencies up here are only open Wednesday and Friday and haven't heard a thing from them either. If this is America now, I'll have no problem surviving here, but I really just wanted better things for myself and I'm so disillusioned and angry that my very best was so far from good enough.

Attachments

• PXL_20240828_003009526.jpg
    PXL_20240828_003009526.jpg
    5.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Sorry I should have added, a chinchilla owner group on FB has a rehoming page you might want to try that is specifically for rehoming chins.

Dana - Lisa - Abby Jo's Rescue Me Chinchillas

"Dana - Lisa - Abby Jo's Rescue Me Chinchillas is dedicated to helping chinchilla owners give their pets the longest and happiest life possible.
We are determined to help with the relocation of chinchillas offered by members of Chinchilla Owners Group on FB and other online listings."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1611358749139078/

Sorry I should have added, a chinchilla owner group on FB has a rehoming page you might want to try that is specifically for rehoming chins.

Dana - Lisa - Abby Jo's Rescue Me Chinchillas

"Dana - Lisa - Abby Jo's Rescue Me Chinchillas is dedicated to helping chinchilla owners give their pets the longest and happiest life possible.
We are determined to help with the relocation of chinchillas offered by members of Chinchilla Owners Group on FB and other online listings."

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1611358749139078/
Thank you for your advice and information. About 12 hours after my last post, I was engaging in one last push at finding a job before skulking back to Colorado. I was trying to wrap my mind around going back and had begun feeling a bit more positive about it and in that moment a place that had previously employed me for a couple weeks during my journey reached out and offered me a longer term job. They may even keep me on over the winter and have already helped me immensely, including selling me one of their vans to make my own little slice of heaven.

Henry sleeps the day away in an industrial air conditioned barn while I work and I am overwhelmed when I think about how much more at ease I am than just a week ago. We are both safe, and I dare say it's possible we have found a home here. My gratitude could never be fully expressed to this family who has been our saving grace.

Back