eye infection- reoccuring?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessonehundred

3 weeks ago i brought my baby chin to the vet for what seemed to be an eye infection. Runny, clear discharge, sometimes white, and crusted shut when she woke up. They prescribed eye antibiotics and oral antibiotics. I did the eye drops 2 times a day for a week as told, but was unable to give her the oral drops. i tried everything. inserting it into treats, hiding it in different things, and finally just trying to squirt it into her mouth, but she literally wouldnt allow me and spit it all out. the eye drops cleared her eye cosmetically from what i could see for about 2 weeks. then about 2 days ago i noticed when she woke up her eye was crusted shut again. no discharge or wetness though, and then later her eye seems fine.

im sure i am a little irresponsible for not giving her the oral medicine, and maybe that has something or everything to do with it... but i didnt want to just give her hit or miss doses because i know its not good to mess around with things like that.

ANYWAY, i was just wondering if anyone has experienced these symptoms, although i am bringing my chin to a vet that has experience with chins, I want to make sure I am doing things right.

I have an appointment scheduled for tomorrow as well.

I have had a chin with a reoccuring eye infection. It took several diffferent types of medicines until one finally cleared it up. What worked for us was terramycin gel.

The oral antibiotic probably would have helped. What were they giving? Most medicines can be mixed with something to make it taste better. Sulfa should work well to help with clearing up an eye infection. It is pink and the chins love the taste of it.

eye

this is the medication i was given, the baytril being the one i was unable to give.

Baytril Suspension 20mg/ml
GIVE 0.1ML BY MOUTH TWICE DAILY FOR 7 DAYS.

Ciprofloxacin .3% 2.5ml
APPLY 1 DROP TO THE RIGHT EYE TWICE DAILY FOR 7 DAYS.

this eye thing is really confusing me, she is fine for days on end with NO symptoms, and then one morning she just wakes up with a runny eye. her eye hasnt been glued shut or gunky in a while since i brought her to the vet that time, but i just wonder what is triggering this problem.

I did switch dusts about 6 months ago, from kaytee to blue sparkle. But what confuses me is that I have basically cut dust baths out from her routine during this issue, and i havent exactly seen a pattern from when i give her a dust bath to when she has the runny eye.

I will have to bring her back to the vet because I just dont understand.

I was also wondering if there was any specific test i could ask to have done. My last vet visit was incredibly costly, even before the meds were prescribed, and I felt as though all she did was take a peek and then guess. Shouldnt there be a dye test to check for scratches or a test that can be done to check infection? I just want to be prepared to get the best care i can get while i am there.

They hate the taste of baytril and sometimes it is not the best antibiotic for certain things. You could just call and ask for something else, maybe the vet will allow that without a visit. The sulfa drugs might help, a new topical antibiotic would probably help out tremendously. I use Gentamycin drops and the terramycin sometimes and both work pretty well. The last eye infection I treated cleared up completely in three days using drops.

You can have the dye test done, that may be a good idea because it could be a scratch on the cornea causing the irritation. Then again, you'd probably treat that with the terramycin anyway. The cause of the eye problem could be the dust, maybe an allergy or just a lingering infection.

Back