chin sleeping on side

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My first thought was, "I hope not! If so, mine are doomed!" They love stretching out on their sides and sleeping or just lounging about.

ok thank u ,i was told a while ago that it meant they could be poorly ,but all mine looking well was just worried ,also im not sure if my to girls 6 monthes old are over heating due to new wheel john hopewell its so much faster than the selvic wheel,they just calapes.after being on it on sides and on shelfs /every night i put to coolers from freezer under there bars and cooler slab so im hoping this is helping them ? ,i really dont want to take wheel out as they love it ,any help on this would be great

I think it's a good sign that they feel safe and comfortable enough to do that out in the open. Many pregnant moms will do that too, probably because it's more comfortable for their growing bellies.

U will be seeing many more wierd should I be worried positions in the future, chins sleep in the wierdest of positions, they've got me freaked a couple of times, I always have to look at their tummys to see if they're still breathing before poking them.

ok thank u ,yes my preggy girl slept on side at end off her pregnancy ,but these 2 have only just started it mainly after alot off exercise on wheel ,so am worried they over heating ? i have been putting 2 cooler blocks out off freezer under the wire and the cooler slab to see iff this will help,but not much change at moment .i just dont want to take wheel out as they love it ,but i dont want them to come to no harm .xx

The first time I saw my female on her side I feared she had passed away. Now, my heart doesn't skip a beat anymore since she has done it plenty of times since. It's just their way of kicking back, I think!

I have noticed mine will lay on their sides after a hard workout, i think its just more relaxing. if ur ever worried about over heating just look/feel thier ears. its gets deep pink and warm. giving them a cooling block to lay on never hurts.

My older girl has taken to sleeping in strange postures, like on her back, feet in the air. Ive defiantly panicked more than once only to have a grumpy chin wondering why i poked her to see if she was alive or not. =P

I attached a pic of my male who has also taken to sleeping smooshed up to the bars..

But do keep an eye out for if they lay on their side awake after a treat, it can be a sign of gas, i had to restrict what things i give to my girl when she had this issue, they will also squeek at you if their tummy hurts and you pet it...

Attachments

• 2013-01-28_21-17-51_731.jpg
    2013-01-28_21-17-51_731.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 24
  • 2013-01-25_04-10-25_624.jpg
    2013-01-25_04-10-25_624.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 24
My first rescue I adopted started sleeping on his side a couple of weeks after I got him, first time I saw him I screamed for John that I killed Dante, help!

Back